Sacred garment policy: A breach of law?

richard7900

Pro Tip:  You can buy garments in the Philippines for PhP60 a pair.  That's one US dollar plus a few pennies.  If you're "western sized", you may have a bit of trouble looking for the right size but you can always make an order for your size and wait for it to arrive.  So... if you're traveling, in addition to visiting Temples, visit the distribution center next door!

On 6/29/2018 at 7:13 AM, richard7900 said:

I am an endowed member. So, I should be able to purchase my own garments. But the "Add to basket" button on the store site is sort of greyed-out.

Are you signed into the site using your LDS.org credentials?

24 minutes ago, Vort said:

Hey, hey, hey, no need to get personal. I believe "Texas-sized" is the appropriate term.

Well, having spent a lot of time in Houston, I can say lots of them look like and are sized like me!  Seattle, on the other hand... kinda hard to find guys under 5'9" over there.  :)

17 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That is only for CEREMONIAL clothing.  Not for garments.  Ceremonial items are on a different category from garments in the online store.

Ah.  LDS.org is going through changes.  Kind of buggy.  Click something and it does one thing, click again and it does something else.  But yes, I see what you mean.

I'm sure this is what has our OP feeling bamboozled.  

On 6/29/2018 at 4:08 AM, richard7900 said:

Hi. I'm an endowed member of the church, and in good standing within the church. But for quite some time have only been attending infrequently. I don't have a temple recommend, because I've been thinking it's a bit pointless having one at the moment if it's not going to be used.

By the way, this is a big part of the reason why a lot of branches in the Philippines did not become wards.  I just attended a branch last Sunday that was bigger than the ward in Florida!  It is so big that we sat shoulder to shoulder on the pews and they had to do 2 blessings of the water because they ran out.

So, the problem - to go to the closest temple, you have to take a 12-hour trip by boat and spend PhP1,200 for the economy class per person.  To give you an idea of what that means, I treated a group of 30+ people to a full-course dinner at a restaurant and spent only PhP2,000.  This branch is in a poor area of the country.  So, most people don't put getting current on their temple recommends as a priority because they think "they're never gonna be able to use it anyway".  So most of them stopped paying tithes as well.  And because of that, they don't have the blessings of a ward and even having the temple built a lot closer to home even as their missionary work is flying like a rocket. 

Anyway, it is NEVER pointless to stay current on your temple recommend.  You need to get yourself counted as a pillar of the Church.

Edited by anatess2

13 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Endowed people who have let their temple recommend lapse, most absolutely do need it.

Ceremonial clothing they can't use? Sure, they need it, but it seems simple enough to renew the recommend and then purchase new ceremonial clothing. Compare it with an endowed person who may or may not have a current temple recommend who still ought to be wearing garments all the time.

Edited by Backroads

On 7/3/2018 at 10:25 PM, NeuroTypical said:

My misunderstanding.  I'm still having difficulties thinking of garments in any way other than ceremonial clothing.  But I see the church website draws the distinction, and all y'all seem to be doing it too. 

Don't mind me - I'll be over here arguing with the dictionary.

Who's winning?