Was Jesus married?

Giuseppe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent points!!! Whether Jesus was or was not married is not important to our salvation....if everything about Jesus' life alone were in the Bible...imagine how thick it would be? G-d allowed some things to be omitted because he wants us to have faith in him as well...I trust that we will learn what we need to know when the time comes.

Yes. My wife over the years has been fanatical in keeping a diary. She writes down everything that she thinks is important including the weather for that day. She only writes in it occasionally but even then we have volumes of it stored around the house.

The continued insistance that if something is not in the Bible, It did not happen, is ludicrous when one thinks about the trivia that occurs daily in all our lives.

Jesus did not write the Bible. It was written about him by others who felt it important to preserve information about His ministry. They are the ones who decided what to include. As pointed out by others, marriage was so universally accepted as part of the daily life at the time of Christ, it is unlikely that they considered that this was sufficiently unique to include it in what was a unique happening in the history of the world. They did, however include the history of the marriage at Cana because it was the first of the signs that He was the Messiah and savior of the world. Whether it was his own wedding or not is not mentioned but the indications are such that it may have been. If not His, then maybe one of his brothers. Whether it was or not is unimportant to me because I believe that he kept all the commandments just as He kept the commandment to be baptized "to fulfill all righteousness". Who he was married to is unimportant but I believe that He was married.

Larry P

So, in too many words, what I am saying is that if you are a believing Mormon, yes, Jesus was married. Apostles of the living God in this Last Dispensation testified to it.

Funny, I am a believing Mormon and I don't believe He was married while on this Earth.

Funny also that Orson Hyde, James Talmadge and a few other have talked about it, yet its never been made doctrine - oh wait doctrine - starting as revelation from God must be born to the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve and all must be in agreement before presenting it to the body of the Church as doctrine - so I guess there must be Apostles and Prophets who have disagreed also or perhaps God never reveled it.

I have no problem with Mormons believing He was married (in the grand scheme of things it matters not one iota to our salvation), just please be careful about what is taught as fact. Too many false 'facts', presented as teachings or doctrine of the Church could push people whom are invetigating the Church away. Take your cue from President Hinckley, who said in answer to a question about God once being a man that 'we don't know a lot about that" the same is true of Jesus being married. We imply it from other things, but have no direct revelation on the subject that has been approved as doctrine, thus to say something like "is that if you are a believing Mormon, yes, Jesus was married" is not only irresponsible, but its also wrong.

If God had permited Grant or Hyde to live 180 years, would their testimony be any less viable. No one has ever stood and rebuked them. This was the word and mind of the Lord. It should not be a stretch to accept.

Just because it has not been spoken of much for many years doesn't make it any less "official doctrine".

The Journal of Discourses is not a Holy Grail book. It is a compilation of talks primarily given to the membership of the church during semi-annual conferences - presided over just as they are today - by a living prophet.

My ancestors attended these meetings. Their testimony is just as sound as the prophets.

So, in too many words, what I am saying is that if you are a believing Mormon, yes, Jesus was married. Apostles of the living God in this Last Dispensation testified to it.

Oi vey. :rolleyes:

I believe Jesus was married. I've always wondered why the idea would bother anyone.

Heavenly Father does not mention Heavenly Mother for the same reasons that Jesus omits facts about his wife or wives...he wants to protect them. Lord knows!! Look at how much his name is blasphemed? I truly believe that his (Jesus') first miracle was at his own wedding. I realize that I will have to wait for heaven to be proven right...but I am very confident that I will be...

...'course, it is not important to my salvation, so I don't sweat the details...

When I first thought about this, I was struck with the knowledge that to achieve the Celestial Kingdom, we must be sealed to a spouse. I beleive Jesus was probably married to Mary Magdelene and they probably had children. I also agree with Yediyd, that it's not significant to our salvation, and to protect Mary Magdelene.

I totally agree with Pink Panther on this one.

When i learned that Jesus was baptised to 'fulfill all righteousness' (in order to make the covenant needed to get to the Celestial Kingdom)

I figured that other covenants are needed to also make it to higher degrees within the celetial kingdom itself (degrees within degress, if you will) so those who are endowed will be higher, and those who have been sealed in the temple (and keep the covenant) are placest in the highest degree in the celestial kingdom. So in order for him to 'fulfill all righteousness' it makes sense to beleive Christ himself (and probably his apsotles and other early christians before tha apostasy) had the Temple covenants.

The only problem with this, is that it is such a sacred topic, that there is bascally no evidence for it. There isnt much in the Bible about Temples as we know them at all (too sacred?) I also havent found much from GAs on this topic, they stick to basic doctrines, because that is what builds testimonies.

I believe that He was married, there is nothing that would forbid Him from being married anywhere in the scriptures. In fact it has already been suggested that He was baptized to "fullfill all righteousness" therefore He must have been sealed to a companion in the New and Everlasting Covenant of the priesthood for the following reasons:

(D&C 131:1-4) "In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees; And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]; And if he does not, he cannot obtain it. He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase."

I cannot imagine anyone obtaining a kingdom of glory greater than the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. Therefore He must have entered the new and everlasting covenant in order to "fullfill all righteousness." In addition the priesthood itself is named after Him:

(D&C 107:2-4) "Why the first is called the Melchizedek Priesthood is because Melchizedek was such a great high priest. Before his day it was called the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God. But out of respect or reverence to the name of the Supreme Being, to avoid the too frequent repetition of his name, they, the church, in ancient days, called that priesthood after Melchizedek, or the Melchizedek Priesthood."

Thus the priesthood itself is named after the Lord, He is an example of the "fullness of the priesthood" so it rather follows that He should obey His own ordinances. Listen to the following:

(D&C 132:4-6,19-24) "For behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory.For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for that blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted from before the foundation of the world. And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fulness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fulness thereof must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God... And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and beverlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever. Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them. Verily, verily, I say unto you, except ye abide my law ye cannot attain to this glory. For strait is the gate, and narrow the way that leadeth unto the exaltation and continuation of the lives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world neither do ye know me. But if ye receive me in the world, then shall ye know me, and shall receive your exaltation; that where I am ye shall be also. This is eternal lives—to know the only wise and true God, and Jesus Christ, whom he hath sent. I am he. Receive ye, therefore, my law."

Here the Savior declares that this is His law, I cannot believe that He would not be obedient to His own law. As for who He married or when or where, that is all speculation, but the fact that He did abide by this law must be a fact.

Two lines of pondering written for you by Doctor Steuss...

-------

There is no town of Magdala

There is only Christ's migdal

Yediyd,

How's your Hebrew?

Migdal means tower...Migdal Edar was the lookout tower located near the Temple where the Sacrificial lambs were kept for the Temple...

Migdal means tower...Migdal Edar was the lookout tower located near the Temple where the Sacrificial lambs were kept for the Temple...

Mary, Christ's migdal

Mary migdal

Mary migdal[ene]

Mary Magdalene

A rose by any other name...

~~The above sloppy scholarship and heresy is brought to you by Doctor Steuss. Half the quality for the same price. Steuss, all about knowing stuff about stuff... er, something.~~

Mary, Christ's migdal

Mary migdal

Mary migdal[ene]

Mary Magdalene

A rose by any other name...

~~The above sloppy scholarship and heresy is brought to you by Doctor Steuss. Half the quality for the same price. Steuss, all about knowing stuff about stuff... er, something.~~

So, what am I missing? How does that translate into tower?

So, what am I missing? How does that translate into tower?

There was no town named Magdala.

There was a town that Matthew calls "Magadan" (Matt. 15:39), but the real name of this town was Migdal Nunaiya ("tower of fish") -- well, at least according to the Babylonian Talmud. The Jerusalem Talmud calls it Migdal Seb’iya ("tower of dyers"). And Josephus called it Taricheae. Basically, what I'm after here is "Magdala" was never what it was called, and there was never a town that had that name (at least nto that anyone knows of).

Therefore, her name was not derived from "Magdala." So, we are left with "what does 'Magdalene' mean"?

So, if Mary was from the city of "Magadan," we then see if "Magdalene" could be derived from it. IMO, it can't be derived from "Magadan." It can however be derived from "Migdal."

In scripture (too lazy to find the verse) it refers to her as Mary, that was called Magdalene. This is pretty much the language that is used for "nicknames" (such as Jesus, who is called Christ; Simon who is called Peter, etc.). So, "Magdalene" was more-so a nickname than a designation of her birthplace.

So, we end up (through my sloppy logic and basic insanity and heresy) with Mary "the tower" or Mary The Great. Christ gave nicknames to those He loved (i.e. Simon “The Rock”, John and James “the Sons of Thunder”, etc.). He loved her. She was His "tower"; therefore she got a nickname.

I don’t know about you, but sometimes trying to follow my logic hurts my own head. :blink:

There was no town named Magdala.

There was a town that Matthew calls "Magadan" (Matt. 15:39), but the real name of this town was Migdal Nunaiya ("tower of fish") -- well, at least according to the Babylonian Talmud. The Jerusalem Talmud calls it Migdal Seb’iya ("tower of dyers"). And Josephus called it Taricheae. Basically, what I'm after here is "Magdala" was never what it was called, and there was never a town that had that name (at least nto that anyone knows of).

Therefore, her name was not derived from "Magdala." So, we are left with "what does 'Magdalene' mean"?

So, if Mary was from the city of "Magadan," we then see if "Magdalene" could be derived from it. IMO, it can't be derived from "Magadan." It can however be derived from "Migdal."

In scripture (too lazy to find the verse) it refers to her as Mary, that was called Magdalene. This is pretty much the language that is used for "nicknames" (such as Jesus, who is called Christ; Simon who is called Peter, etc.). So, "Magdalene" was more-so a nickname than a designation of her birthplace.

So, we end up (through my sloppy logic and basic insanity and heresy) with Mary "the tower" or Mary The Great. Christ gave nicknames to those He loved (i.e. Simon “The Rock”, John and James “the Sons of Thunder”, etc.). He loved her. She was His "tower"; therefore she got a nickname.

I don’t know about you, but sometimes trying to follow my logic hurts my own head. :blink:

Thanks for walking me through it! Cool...Mary was a "pillar of strength"!!!!!