China flexes its muscles, and the cowardly EU caves

Vort

Long ago (well, a few decades at least) Brigham Young warned the Saints at the time to not sell their property to those who were not members of the church, to not sell of their lands to those not in the church, and to keep their business within the church or the 'gentiles' would come and take over Utah and the lands currently (at that time) controlled by the Saints.  If they sold their lands and property to outsiders their culture would be corrupted and sin would become among the Saints much like it was in the world.  Though there are many members outside of Utah today, I hear horror stories about things that ARE occurring in Utah.  These are things that are absolutely against the Church's culture of old, it's teachings, and it's traditions.  I'd say that Brigham Young was actually giving out a prophecy in warning, and as it was not heeded, Utah has become what he warned against those many years ago.

In a LIKE fashion, there were many that were concerned about the way the markets were going in regards to China decades ago (but not quite as long ago as Brigham Young).  In the 80s there was a strong push to buy ONLY US made goods.  Many goods at the time were being made in Japan and Taiwan and people felt that much of our manufacturing power as well as economic ability were going to them.  We wanted to retain that in the US and so many tried to buy ONLY made in the US.

Ever willing for the cheap dollar, we opened up China even more with various agreements and a backdoor for them to ship goods in that were not covered via the NAFTA.  We've seen that our companies have gone over the China and we've lost the impetus of being able to be self reliant on our own manufacturing. 

This is the result.  China now has us (and Europe) by the arms and could eventually hold us by the throat if we do not use this as a wake up call to reign the manufacturing power back to the US.  We have sold our economic ability and power to those foreign to our nation.  In this, not only have we allowed them to take control of the manufacture of necessary materials, but we have also allowed them to buy up our land (one reason why land in California is so expensive, though not the only reason, is that Chinese investors have bought a LOT of it up an inflated prices). 

The first step I'd make is one that would be hated by many in the US, have economic repercussions in the short term, but probably be beneficial in the longterm.  Many other nations have this type of policy.  I'd say that no one who is NOT a citizen of the United States can own any property within the United States.  They can lease it (for example, in some nations south of the US border one can 'buy' land that remains with them until either their death or hundred years, depending on the individual, and then it reverts back to the nation in ownership, which isn't really owning, but leasing) for a contracted time period, but under no instance can a foreign citizen actually own land, home, or similar type property in the US.

Next, I'd invest in manufacturing infrastructure of necessary items (so, TVs, electronics and such could still be made in China, but medical supplies, medicines, computers and such would need to be made in the US). 

Of course, with the recession (and perhaps depression) currently, that may have to wait until later.

Do I expect this to happen?  No, we are so enamoured with Cheap Chinese goods I doubt we would ever take the steps above no matter who the administration is.

31 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Really???   I did not know that Democrats ran China and Republican ran the EU - until now.

The Traveler

China and EU run both establishment Democrats and Republicans.... it's this new world order called Globalism that got killed by covid-19 - may it rest in peace.

Edited by anatess2