Spot the Mormonism

Backroads

I think speficifally of various forms of entertainment, but have you ever been observing something and just felt "There's some latter-day philosophy there"?

For example, my fluff reading incluces Amish romance novels. I enjoy them because they're clean and tend to have spiritual messages. Well, a favorite author of mine was just a notch above the others. Quality, intelligent, and truly funny and thought-provoking stuff. But it didn't seem the typical Christian, I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Eventually wondered "Is she of my faith?"

Liked her on Facebook. She lives in the "Mormon Corridor" and often quotes the prophets on her page.

Edited by Backroads

When I moved into a new city, I had to take my car into the shop.  It was run by one upper-middle aged man and a 20-something younger man.

There was something about the way they spoke and the way they... well, I think it was their smile.  I wondered.  Are they LDS?  I don't know if it was anything I could even describe.  But their bearing and the way they just seemed at ease with me, it just seemed so comfortable.

I was about to ask them if they were LDS.  But the older man beat me to the punch.  He asked me if I was LDS.  Apparently, he had the same thoughts about me as I had about him.

My BIL had noted that any fantasy novel that includes a religious system will model the hierarchy after the Catholic Church.  But he read one book where the system was different.  He thought, gee, this doesn't look like the Catholic Church. It looks like our Church. 

So, he looked up the author:  Brandon Sanderson.

It's not 100%.  I started at a new office and the manager was particularly clean-cut.  He was usually pretty happy.  He never let a cuss word escape his lips.  I never saw a cup of coffee in his hand.  So, I wondered.  After he returned from vacation, he mentioned one place he visited including "all the beer you could drink."

• 4 weeks later...

When I went to Utah as a child and young man, I would see window stickers and bumper stickers saying "RULDS" and "RULDS2". I didn't know what a ruld was, but it appeared they were popular in the Utah area and had created a sequel. Don't remember when I figured out what it was supposed to mean.