So... Check your local comic shop & gaming shop

Ironhold

For those who don't know, here in the United States most comic book and gaming shops have large bins where you can buy dice in bulk. In addition to traditional polyhedral gaming dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20), you can often find various "novelty" dice in those bins. 

A year or so back, my usual comic shop got in a small quantity of ten-sided dice that had the 10 Commandments, one on each face. My mom and I purchased what they had to give out to the Activity Day girls as part of an effort to teach them the Commandments. The idea was that every so often they'd roll the die, and whatever commandment came up was the one they'd work on getting better about keeping. 

Given the small quantity the store had and how I hadn't seen any more since, I figured that these must have been produced in a very small quantity and so put them out of my mind. 

Well, I was at my usual comic shop today, and they had a few left in their bins. Either a new production run just came out, or some leftovers were pulled out from somewhere. 

So yeah, if you have such a place nearby, give them a check to see what they have. 

22 hours ago, Ironhold said:

For those who don't know, here in the United States most comic book and gaming shops have large bins where you can buy dice in bulk. In addition to traditional polyhedral gaming dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20), you can often find various "novelty" dice in those bins. 

A year or so back, my usual comic shop got in a small quantity of ten-sided dice that had the 10 Commandments, one on each face. My mom and I purchased what they had to give out to the Activity Day girls as part of an effort to teach them the Commandments. The idea was that every so often they'd roll the die, and whatever commandment came up was the one they'd work on getting better about keeping. 

Given the small quantity the store had and how I hadn't seen any more since, I figured that these must have been produced in a very small quantity and so put them out of my mind. 

Well, I was at my usual comic shop today, and they had a few left in their bins. Either a new production run just came out, or some leftovers were pulled out from somewhere. 

So yeah, if you have such a place nearby, give them a check to see what they have. 

Comic books used to be so easy to find when I was younger.  The would be in stores and even gas stations.  They were everywhere.  The last time I think I saw comic books in the stores was at a Walmart some years ago.  These days I don't see the comicbooks around like they used to be. 

15 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Comic books used to be so easy to find when I was younger.  The would be in stores and even gas stations.  They were everywhere.  The last time I think I saw comic books in the stores was at a Walmart some years ago.  These days I don't see the comicbooks around like they used to be. 

I totally agree with you. I feel sorry for small town kids who don’t have a comic store nearby. 

16 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

The comic books today definitely aren't like the comic books I grew up with.

18 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I was often kicked out of various stores as a kid because I was sitting in the comic book section reading the various comic books with no intention of a purchase.

The Traveler

19 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

In the late 1990s the industry collapsed under the weight of its own excesses. As part of the fall-out, most publishers allowed Diamond Comics a near-monopoly on comic book distribution, and in time Diamond withdrew from most traditional retailers like grocery stores and convenience stores. 

Dollar Tree has its own imprint, Peach Tree Playthings, through which they occasionally publish licensed Disney comics, and last year they printed off a single issue of a tie-in comic for an action figure toy line they've been doing. 

Allegiance Arts briefly made product available through Wal-Mart. 

Alterna was trying to get their product into convenience stores and truck stops. 

That's about it. Even Archie has begun retreating, and they were one of the last publishers to still attempt traditional retail. 

The mainstream industry elite are pushing comic shops and digital sales as the be-all, end-all in response, but I and others have noted that people won't buy what they don't know exists, and digital is corporate self-termination as newcomers don't know about the digital platforms, let alone digital editions. 

This is a big part of why foreign titles and non-traditional titles are dominating now, as their publishers are quite aggressive about ensuring that product is made available at department stores and even some grocery stores.