Along with faith and obedience, we must also be humble.

I have not thought about being "humble" that much. My mind

has been on repentance, trying to forgive others, and other things.

One thing I have not thought much about is being humble. So, when

in the Book of Mormon and other scriptures it says "be humble" what

exactly does that mean and how should that pertain to us in our

every day lives?

I believe it to mean submissive as a child, who willingly and eagerly does what his or her father asks without question.

I remember once on my mission eating at a member's home (he invited all the missionaries in the area). After lunch he was talking to his little girl, then about 5 years old. He asked her to bring something from the window sill. She hopped off his lap, walked directly over to the window and picked up the item without a second thought. She brought it back to him and I marveled at the moment.

A loving father asked his child do something for him and she did so without question or hesitation. If we can be the same way with all the commandments instead of being like teenagers (I was one too!) who seem to have a will of their own and sometimes make all the wrong choices, how much happier would we be and blessed by our Father in Heaven?

I think it is always knowing where your power comes from. Like in Jacob where he talks about having great power to perform miracles but knowing that is "by his grace... that we have the power to do these things." (jacob 4:6-7). I could go on and on about humility, but this is the basis of it for me.

Humble also means to be teachable. Knowing you don't know everything, identifying and seeking to fill in the gaps, that sort of thing.

I find it useful to think about what humility does not mean. It does not mean weakness, or gullibility, or enduring unrighteous abuse or dominion. Being a doormat is not being humble. It's inviting/allowing/participating in desecration of your divine nature.

LM

Humble also means to be teachable. Knowing you don't know everything, identifying and seeking to fill in the gaps, that sort of thing.

I find it useful to think about what humility does not mean. It does not mean weakness, or gullibility, or enduring unrighteous abuse or dominion. Being a doormat is not being humble. It's inviting/allowing/participating in desecration of your divine nature.

LM

To me it also means acknowledging my complete dependence on Heavenly Father for everything and my absolute need for the Savior's grace/atonement. It also means having faith that He has a better plan than I do and knows what's best for me, even in difficult times. Knowing this makes submitting to His will a lot easier because I know whatever is happening in my life will be turned to my good.

Its one of those questions that I think will have many different answers as we discovered in our Gospel Doctrine class on Sunday - fo mer its my interaction with my Heavenly Father taking the name of Him and my Saviour upon myself having them in my countenance and being part of making His Kingdom here on Earth.

But I have been a Latter Day Saint 16 years my understanding of patience and humility has changed over the years - and thats OK we are here to grow.

-Charley

As I was reading this thread it reminded me of something.

One day I was in Relief Society and as usual one member of the RS presidency at that particular time was being her usual self. When food storage was mentioned she chirped up with "I am so thankful that I have not procrastinated and that I not only have one year's storage but two. I can face my Saviour and tell him I've been obedient." The subject of repentance was discussed and she gleefully announced that she was so thankful that she hadn't committed any sins that week which meant she did not need to repent. Then on the matter of tithing she told us all how she always paid her tithing the very first thing she did when she received her money and that she made sure she also paid a generous fast offering and money to other things such as missionary fund etc etc.

I had sat smugly in my seat thinking to myself, "Well sister all I can say is that I'm glad I know my failings and I'm not puffed up with pride like you. I am humble. I am."

Then I felt the spirit gently nudging me and pointing out to me that my attitude towards this sister was not actually one of humility at all! Ouch!

One day I was in Relief Society and as usual one member of the RS presidency at that particular time was being her usual self. When food storage was mentioned she chirped up with "I am so thankful that I have not procrastinated and that I not only have one year's storage but two. I can face my Saviour and tell him I've been obedient." The subject of repentance was discussed and she gleefully announced that she was so thankful that she hadn't committed any sins that week which meant she did not need to repent. Then on the matter of tithing she told us all how she always paid her tithing the very first thing she did when she received her money and that she made sure she also paid a generous fast offering and money to other things such as missionary fund etc etc.

I had sat smugly in my seat thinking to myself, "Well sister all I can say is that I'm glad I know my failings and I'm not puffed up with pride like you. I am humble. I am."

Then I felt the spirit gently nudging me and pointing out to me that my attitude towards this sister was not actually one of humility at all! Ouch!

Wow! Luckily I wasn't in your meeting. [in support here] I may be smidgen abrasive with her outburst of complacency. :P

I had a Sister once showed up to a Christmas social in which we were directed to ensure that our military [recruits] had a place to go on this special holiday. During this grand festive, one of the sisters in a local nearby ward was lecturing another sister, why she wasn't attending church meeting on Sunday for the last couple months. Unfortunate for the misinformed sister and improper judgment, the local sister, works for a local newspaper media and Sunday and church hour collided for that year. I just look over and remarked: “Sister, I wouldn’t be to haste in your lecturing; I for one can tell you, her election is made sure. Now what is your position before the Master?”

We should never censor others without the spirit guidance or exhibit arrogance before others. We simply don’t know who is in attendance.

Along with faith and obedience, we must also be humble.

I have not thought about being "humble" that much. My mind

has been on repentance, trying to forgive others, and other things.

One thing I have not thought much about is being humble. So, when

in the Book of Mormon and other scriptures it says "be humble" what

exactly does that mean and how should that pertain to us in our

every day lives?

The online dictionary defines humility as the quality of having a modest sense of one's own significance." We find too often, humility or meekness is confused with the term weakness. A humble servant of GOD will defy weakness, and recognize humility requires great courage.

The method to obtain humility is given by the prophet Helaman. It reads:

Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts to God. (Helaman 3:35.)

According to Elder Berrett, this “…yielding of the heart to God’ or ‘offering oneself to God’ must be done completely "with a broken heart and a contrite spirit" for this is the very essence of true humility.”

Well, last week I was looking for work. Stopped off at a place and

kind of struck out. On the way home I decided to stop in at the big

hospital and, for the first time in my life, I went inside and asked for

information on volunteering. I even went to the basement and talked

with the woman in charge of volunteering at the hospital. I did not

When I met with the missionaries that evening I told them this. I said

the spirit directed me towards that hospital. I was feeling a little good

about it. Even tho I had not even volunteered, I was feeling good about

making this first step. I think maybe I was wanting to brag too.

Really, I just wanted to share this news with the missionaries.

I have never, ever, in my life, done something like this. I know my

Heavenly Father gave me the strength to go there.

In the Sermon on the Mount/to the Nephites (Mathew 5-7, 3 Nephi 12-15), Jesus gave some awesome information on humility. Obviously, it is a key stepping stone toward having the righteousness of the prophets.

3 Nephi 12:

2 And again, more blessed are they who shall believe in your words because that ye shall testify that ye have seen me, and that ye know that I am. Yea, blessed are they who shall believe in your words, and come down into the depths of humility and be baptized, for they shall be visited with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and shall receive a remission of their sins.

3 Yea, blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 And again, blessed are all they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 And blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

6 And blessed are all they who do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled with the Holy Ghost.

7 And blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

8 And blessed are all the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 And blessed are all the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.

10 And blessed are all they who are persecuted for my name’s sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 And blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake;

12 For ye shall have great joy and be exceedingly glad, for great shall be your reward in heaven; for so persecuted they the prophets who were before you.

Humility is a key to entering into the Church through baptism and reception of the Holy Ghost. While I suppose a person can be baptized with water without being humble, that person cannot/will not be baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost without some humility. Terms such as "poor in spirit", "mourning", "meek", "hunger and thirst after righteousness", "merciful", "pure in heart", "peacemaker" all describe a humble person.