What I don't miss about the past

Mullenite

- Having to go to the post office to drop off outgoing mail. Now I pay all, except 1 bill, online.

- Having to go to the library to get information about something. Now it's as close as a search engine on your Internet connection.

- Dial-up connections to the Internet.

- Dropping off your 35mm film after you get back from vacation and having to wait for the pictures. I remember before the 1-hour development came about in the late 1970's, my father had to wait a few days to pick up the pictures. With digital cameras, you can see the pictures on your computer right after you take them.

- Watching a movie on video - Now with DVD, HD-TV and 5.1 Surround-Sound, it's better than being in a movie theater.

The one thing I do miss about the past is the $1.30 a gallon gas

Edited by Mullenite

*Defrosting meat ahead of time

*Twin tub washing machines

*Internet version one without images just text

*Looking for a public phone

*Whistling kettles

The one thing I do miss about the past is appliances that didn't beep endlessly to tell you that you should now do something (washing machines, microwaves and fridges)

Guest HEthePrimate

*Defrosting meat ahead of time

Heehee! The first time I read this, I thought it said DEFUSING meat ahead of time! Guess I've been reading too many adventure novels. Gotta watch out for those exploding pork chops! :P

HEP

I am always thankful the labor union movement eliminated the 70 hour work week, horrible working conditions and child labor.

These were terrible things from the past.

Also:

Widespread lawlessness

Jim Crow laws

Priesthoods bans

castor oil

no internet

no TV or Radio

illiteracy being the norm

Having to fight the Christmas rush crowds to do my Christmas shopping. The wonders of the internet.

What I do miss are courteous customers. Instead now we have rude customers who go to you for your assistance but can't put their cell phone down long enough to conduct business with you. AND they have the audacity to give you a look like YOU just interrupted their conversation. My biggest pet peeve.

I remember seeing my first colour tv...and the colours weren't the ones that I had in my imagination...and finding it disappointing. Okay I was probably four or five...and that dress was green...not red...how could they have gotten it so wrong. Yes ...i haven't changed...the answer to what car do you drive is still sometimes answered with ...it's red. :P

Edited by WANDERER

Having to fight the Christmas rush crowds to do my Christmas shopping. The wonders of the internet.

What I do miss are courteous customers. Instead now we have rude customers who go to you for your assistance but can't put their cell phone down long enough to conduct business with you. AND they have the audacity to give you a look like YOU just interrupted their conversation. My biggest pet peeve.

There is a Subway in downtown SLC that has a sign posted that says they reserve the right to refuse to help you until you put your cell phone away.

There is a Subway in downtown SLC that has a sign posted that says they reserve the right to refuse to help you until you put your cell phone away.

I am seeing this more and more. My credit union also has a sign at their drive up window. I'm tempted to put up my own sign but it probably wouldn't do any good.

I have started though..to those that didn't pay attention or respond to me at all because of their phone...as they are leaving..I yell out "You're welcome." Usually I get dirty looks but it makes me feel better.

I am seeing this more and more. My credit union also has a sign at their drive up window. I'm tempted to put up my own sign but it probably wouldn't do any good.

I have started though..to those that didn't pay attention or respond to me at all because of their phone...as they are leaving..I yell out "You're welcome." Usually I get dirty looks but it makes me feel better.

When I have customers who don't say anything or are talking on their phones I always say 'nice talking to you' as they walk out. The thing is they don't see anything wrong with this behavior. You, as the checkout person, are there to serve them. Any talking is an inconvenience, and you have just inconvienced them as a customer.

Of course, this is the same person who will come back in 10 minutes yelling about how you gave them the wrong product and it is all your fault that they didn't make sure that what they got is what they wanted. They are busy people with phones, can't you see that? How dare you make things so difficult for them?

When I have customers who don't say anything or are talking on their phones I always say 'nice talking to you' as they walk out. The thing is they don't see anything wrong with this behavior. You, as the checkout person, are there to serve them. Any talking is an inconvenience, and you have just inconvienced them as a customer.

Of course, this is the same person who will come back in 10 minutes yelling about how you gave them the wrong product and it is all your fault that they didn't make sure that what they got is what they wanted. They are busy people with phones, can't you see that? How dare you make things so difficult for them?

Well I am going to redefine the term "convenience" store. For those that want to be rude..I will wait on them at MY convenience. :eek:

Things I miss about the past.

Courtesy

counting change back

Not interrupting a chat with a human being to talk with the clod calling on your cell phone

Using both hands on the steering wheel

Only getting mail once a day

Not having to cruise through 200 channels to confirm that TV is the vast wasteland

Things I miss about the past.

Courtesy

counting change back

Not interrupting a chat with a human being to talk with the clod calling on your cell phone

Using both hands on the steering wheel

Only getting mail once a day

Not having to cruise through 200 channels to confirm that TV is the vast wasteland

I totally agree with all of those.

Used to get a check cash it at the bank and slowly watch it dwindle down to nothing. Watching the cash in a wallet made it easier to determine if that (insert anything here) is actually worth buying.

It's too easy to blow money on odds and ends we normally would waste money on if we actually saw our available balance at all times.

- The Bee Gees

- trying to find public restrooms at Fisherman's Wharf

- The Steroid Era in baseballl (I'm sure that's all fixed now)

- Bell bottom pants

- and Steve DeBerg as the 49ers quarterback

The things I do miss:

- the rotary telephone with the cord. (I always knew where it was)

- Reggie Jackson

- The 600 page catalogue that came every so often (pick your store)

- gas less than a dollar (a $1.30???)

- History courses without agendas.

- oh, and Duran Duran