An Admission Requiring Courage.

Listener

I like craft.

I knit (sweaters, vests, socks, etc.). I crochet (mainly afghans). I cross-stitch (although I have a hard time staying with these projects). But above all I quilt. I love the geometry. I love the way a well-chosen colorway can turn an average pattern into a thing of beauty. I love it when my children fight over who gets to snuggle under the latest project. I love that it brings the whole family together when it comes time to bind the edges.

There. I've said it. I stare bravely at your sneers, and wish small dustballs to appear under your tables.

Now to business. I'm not much at the technology of cameras, or inserting clever photos in a thread. I'm hoping some of you are better. Does anyone feel brave enough to share their latest project?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to do that too... quilting especially... but looks like all freetime goes on cybermisionarywork... one day! I ahve a fine idea for a quilt in my head... not geometric... my daughter did the young wemens ... the picture of the woman as a quilt it was soo pretty, but she had to use glue in some places and that glue came never off ... so it was actually destroyed.:mad: It was too difficult to saw right away as it was not geometric, she needed something to hold the peaces on their place... do you knowanything that could do teh job?? She used all the colours too!

My latest project with my photos was to insert some of my pictures on my profile. Usually I jus take pics and put them on a nettside first where they wont dissapear ever! I have had too many frends loosing ALL their pictures, I dont want it to happen to me! Broken hard dichs, dissapeared or destroyed cds and memorysticks, broken extra hasd dics... I DO also ahve those but the best pics I always put on my nettside first. An other project I am doing is that I send my paperpics to the firma to scan them to digitale and also my old family videos and films on dvd. I am not too good at that but they do it for me. I also made on line a book of my grandchildren and also the nature and had them send it to me. I am happy with it. It takes too much photp paper and ink to print them myself... even though I do have a good photoprinter I prefer their prints. Then again IF I want to do it myself I can do it...

I am thinking of a project of putting some of my best pictures on show... frame them...well first I have to have them printed or do it myself then find good frames than fins a place to show them.

I cross stitch, do tapestries (I think of them as colouring in for grown ups) and tat lace (I have done some insane projects with thread little more than the consistency of cotton).. this is what I've been doing since I was 6. I've kind of moved on to....

basic knitting and crocheting (socks, beanies, slippers, flowers, dishcloths etc). I would rather wear or use something I make. I have an idea that I want to combine the above with this and make some interesting things...finely knitted lacy cardigans with tatting and embroidery...if I can work out how to modify patterns in order to do that. Ready to go the next step and make a cardy or jumper.

Sewing and quilting *scares me to death*....I just don't have the sewing gene....someday perhaps I'll get a sewing machine.

I don't do a lot of projects...I pick something overwhelmingly hard and tend to do it through vacation periods when I have the time to commit intensely to getting something done.

My last project that I finished was knitted Mary Jane slippers with crocheted flowers...a bit of a challenge since I have doll feet and patterns have to be scaled down.

Guest TheLutheran

I like craft. . . .

Before reading further on your post, I thought you were into witchcraft. Whew!! Needlework is definitely on my "when the girls are out on their own" list of things to tackle. :sunny:

What a great thread!:)

I think it would be great to post some of our projects. I have been a crafter most of my life and I get that love and desire from my grandmothers I believe. I even have a "craft room" filled with sewing projects, mainly quilt kits etc. In that room I also have loads of scrap booking materials. In the past month I have taken a real liking to jewelry making and have all kinds of beads and findings on their way here which I have just purchased from Etsy and Ebay. :D If I get good enough and creative enough I may consider selling some of my creations on Etsy. What really made me happy is that my daughter actually took ownership on one of my first projects.:D

Listener, in order to post a picture I believe you need to take a digital picture and post it to a place on the web like photo bucket. Maybe someone who does this can give us good instructions.:)

My wife is a quilter (thank goodness, or I'd freeze on cold winter nights) and has been known to say that "she who dies with the most fabric wins"! She enjoys doing it so much, in fact, that every year she makes a quilt for the annual library fundraiser at the university where she works. So far, her quilts have brought in just about $6000 for the library.

As for me, I've done a variety of things, but I really like doing graphite drawing (landscapes, people, etc). It may not be good, but it sure is fun...:)

I want to start quilting. Ive helped my sister-in-law a couple of times with hers but really havent gotten the motavation to start one myself. I think the motivations coming though because I have a baby on the way. It'd be nice to make something for baby from me. That way he will always have something I made myself. Currently Im painting paper parasols to sell at a fair of sorts. Its a family project involving my parents and brothers and sisters so we can raise money for if one of us falls on hard times. Its challenging coming up with Ideas that wont turn out corny or cheap looking. My husband and I both love to paint but besides the parasols havent had much time for it.

No courage necessary on my part! I'm proud of it! I'm working on a crochet sweater for my daughter. I let her pick out the color, so it's a horrible variegated yarn with hot pink and varying shades of purple (definitely not my thing), but she thinks they are the most beautiful colors in the world. I'm not done with it yet, though, working on the sleeves currently.

I have a lovely (in my opinion) pair of light purple booties and a cute hat to match, both with pink ribbon trimming, for a baby girl. But i don't have anyone to give it to. Maybe i should just send it on over to MorningStar. I'll see if i can figure out how to post a picture of them.

Sewing and quilting *scares me to death*....I just don't have the sewing gene....someday perhaps I'll get a sewing machine.

Fear not. I have learned all I know about any craft from books. Believe me, there are a thousand ways to misread instructions. However, I always tell myself...

"if a billion other people can do this, then I can too".

Try a project. What's the worst thing that can happen? (When I have a bit longer, I'll answer this question from my efforts.)

It's cool that you have that talent listener. I don't have that ability and I don't do any of that but I can appreciate the handiwork in it. Is that what kept you off the streets?

Absolutely. I decided that there is a flaw in the universe when women can do craft at boring meetings, and men can't. I have knitted my way through many "let's talk about reinventing our service" meetings!

I think it would be great to post some of our projects. I have been a crafter most of my life and I get that love and desire from my grandmothers I believe. I even have a "craft room" filled with sewing projects, mainly quilt kits etc. In that room I also have loads of scrap booking materials.

My great aunt was the fastest knitter I've ever seen...but she used the continental method with both hands over the top of the needles, and I could never get the hang of that. Pencil grip is slower, but hey, this is the one area of my life where I don't have to compete!

I can do cross stitch but I'm not very good at anything else. I can knit squares but would really love to be able to sew and especially do quilting. I have tried but definately don't have a talent for these things.

You go, girl. Cross-stitch is beautiful. I have come to really like samplers.

As for me, I've done a variety of things, but I really like doing graphite drawing (landscapes, people, etc). It may not be good, but it sure is fun...:)

There is something I have always wished I could do--but my drawings always look like I did them left-handed...with my eyes closed.

I want to start quilting. Ive helped my sister-in-law a couple of times with hers but really havent gotten the motavation to start one myself. I think the motivations coming though because I have a baby on the way. It'd be nice to make something for baby from me. That way he will always have something I made myself. Currently Im painting paper parasols to sell at a fair of sorts. Its a family project involving my parents and brothers and sisters so we can raise money for if one of us falls on hard times. Its challenging coming up with Ideas that wont turn out corny or cheap looking. My husband and I both love to paint but besides the parasols havent had much time for it.

Congratulations on your baby! I'm certain anything made for him/her will be perfect because you are the one who made it. Whatever it is, don't forget to sign and date it.

No courage necessary on my part! I'm proud of it! I'm working on a crochet sweater for my daughter. I let her pick out the color, so it's a horrible variegated yarn with hot pink and varying shades of purple (definitely not my thing), but she thinks they are the most beautiful colors in the world. I'm not done with it yet, though, working on the sleeves currently.

I have a lovely (in my opinion) pair of light purple booties and a cute hat to match, both with pink ribbon trimming, for a baby girl. But i don't have anyone to give it to. Maybe i should just send it on over to MorningStar. I'll see if i can figure out how to post a picture of them.

I really understand your comment about the color of your daughter's sweater. I've learned that it is much easier to take the recipient of my knitting with me when I pick yarn. But...every once in a while I do something for me...

I have been a crafter most of my life and I get that love and desire from my grandmothers I believe. I even have a "craft room" filled with sewing projects, mainly quilt kits etc.

We moved our kitchen to what used to be a double garage. The old kitchen, with appliances removed, now is the biggest stash room ever.

http://www.lds.net/user/gallery/view/name_connerific/id_6674/title_crochet-hat/

http://www.lds.net/user/gallery/view/name_connerific/id_6673/title_crochet-booties/

Not sure how else to put these on, so i stuck them in my profile and then used the insert image icon to put them here.

Anyway, these are the hat and booties i mentioned before.

Edit: I guess it didn't work. Oh well, go to my picture gallery on my profile and you will find them. Sorry.

I like craft.

I knit (sweaters, vests, socks, etc.). I crochet (mainly afghans). I cross-stitch (although I have a hard time staying with these projects). But above all I quilt. I love the geometry. I love the way a well-chosen colorway can turn an average pattern into a thing of beauty. I love it when my children fight over who gets to snuggle under the latest project. I love that it brings the whole family together when it comes time to bind the edges.

There. I've said it. I stare bravely at your sneers, and wish small dustballs to appear under your tables.

Now to business. I'm not much at the technology of cameras, or inserting clever photos in a thread. I'm hoping some of you are better. Does anyone feel brave enough to share their latest project?

Why does this make me like you more?????

I love to sew! I sew a lot of my daughter's clothing. I can't cook worth a lick, so sewing is my lifeline out of homemaker purgatory.

For a quick outfit, I make shorts or a skirt and appliqué a purchased tee to go with.

Posted Image

Tee, and shorts

Posted ImagePosted Image

The shorts design is on the front of one leg of the "long" shorts

This dress just won Best of Division at our fair

Posted Image

There are 888 beads on the front of the dress...not counting sleeves or collar

Dress made from a vintage pattern - earned Best

Posted Image

Posted Image

Crabbylicious...also a Best

Posted Image

All righty...I could post piccies all day! Did I mention I love sewing?

I learned to knit so I could surprise DH with a scarf last Christmas. It was SO fun!

Edited by mightynancy