God is telling me this is true?

Hey everyone.

(I hope this is the correct board to be posting this on, if not, please move it :) )

Yesterday I was sitting in my car, (well, my mothers car, but I was in the driver seat because I'm learning to drive). She was in at her chiropractor, and I was just sitting reading the Book of Mormon. I usually carry it with me all the time so I can read it at any opportune time. In the car, on the train, waiting for a beverage [usually a decaf coffee] etc. For some reason, I happened to look at myself in one of the mirrors, and suddenly think "I am a child of God?" and I actually felt quite emotional, even tearful.

Later in the evening I was chatting to a missionary by the name of Phillip from London on Mormon.org. I was asking him about whether God personally hears my prayers, and so forth (I have not prayed for months, not really ready to discuss why here yet). He told me ofcourse He does. I told him about my experience in the car, and he told me that it was God telling me the Church is true, and showed me a scripture which detailed the "fruits of the spirit".

If anyone needs more detail, I will provide. But what do you think, is God telling me this is true?

I mean ... I almost want to say "thats it?!?!!?" ... I just imagined the testimony and experience would be stronger/ will be stronger than that...

God Bless,

~Brenton.

Thank you so much for sharing...what a wonderful experience.

I grew up in the Church, and for many many years just went along with everything without finding out for myself. I learned the song "I Am A Child of God" when I was 3, but didn't gain a testimony of that principle until I was 21.

As a teenager I never felt the need to ask if it was true, because I believed and that was enough for me at the time. I once talked to my Seminary teacher about it, and asked if I needed to have a "special" experience. He shared a scripture with me from Doctrine and Covenants 46.

11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.

12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.

13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.

14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.

For some people the testimony is just there. It's a gift of the Spirit. There is another quote I came across years later in Institute that also fits your situation well. It's from a talk by President Benson called A Mighty Change of Heart.

...we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said “were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.” (3 Ne. 9:20; italics added.)

Now this speaks specifically of repentance, but I think it can apply to testimony and conversion in general.

Even though it seemed anti-climactic to you, this definitely sounds like an answer to prayer and a testimony experience. Write about it in your journal while it's still fresh, so that you can go back and read it years from now, and have the same fresh feelings come back when you may need them.

I mean ... I almost want to say "thats it?!?!!?" ... I just imagined the testimony and experience would be stronger/ will be stronger than that...

Kings 19:

11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:

12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice

Rarely does God hit us over the head with something, he usually whispers Truth to us in a still small voice.

The Spirit comes in different ways......but it is usually easy to recognize and sometimes it is more powerful that at other times....the good news is that if you are worthy it will always come:)

Geeezo poooopie,

I better get me and my other 176 million Catholic friends to try and be worthy:D

God bless,

Carl

Geeezo poooopie,

I better get me and my other 176 million Catholic friends to try and be worthy:D

God bless,

Carl

We can bring the Spirit through righteousness and offend the Spirit and drive it away as well..........that 's it only 176 million....I thought there were many more Catholics than that...or is that just the unworthy ones and your friends..????:rolleyes::)

We can bring the Spirit through righteousness and offend the Spirit and drive it away as well..........that 's it only 176 million....I thought there were many more Catholics than that...or is that just the unworthy ones and your friends..????:rolleyes::)

Hey ya bytor,

OHHHHHH " through righteousness " Can you imagine that ceeboo thought you suggested that the " worthy " was implied only LDS in the context of knowing the truth of the BofM.

My apologies, well maybe the OP was simply righteous and it had nothing at all to do with the BofM being true. Hey, maybe even someone like me ( non LDS ) has a hope of the Spirit, someday.:D

176 million reference was personal friends :) not total.

God bless,

Carl

Hey ya bytor,

OHHHHHH " through righteousness " Can you imagine that ceeboo thought you suggested that the " worthy " was implied only LDS in the context of knowing the truth of the BofM.

My apologies, well maybe the OP was simply righteous and it had nothing at all to do with the BofM being true. Hey, maybe even someone like me ( non LDS ) has a hope of the Spirit, someday.:D

176 million reference was personal friends :) not total.

God bless,

Carl

All humble and sincere seekers of the truth.......even Ceeboo and his 176 million Catholic friends........so you only hang with Catholics, eh????? Kind of clicky.....like those darn Mormons:D

I'm just really not sure what to think, though.

I don't actually attend church as of yet, I swore that I would read the BofM cover to cover at least once before "taking the plunge".

I'm currently up to Mosiah.

I'm absolutely terrified of what's going to happen if this is true.

You've probably heard it before, but you don't have to read the whole thing to find out if it's true or not. Not that I discourage reading the whole thing.

Of what are you terrified?

You've probably heard it before, but you don't have to read the whole thing to find out if it's true or not. Not that I discourage reading the whole thing.

Of what are you terrified?

I'm in a gay relationship, openly and outly gay to my friends ... who are -all- atheists.

My mother is a catholic, my father warned me against "going near mormons" (which is the reason why i became an investigator, because he was saying that based off false knowledge and stereotype) ... however he knows perfectly well that I read the BofM.

My relationship isn't just some ... "teen crush" type thing either. He think's we'll be moving in with e/a in a few years after I finish high school (final yr is next yr).

I'm really very afraid.

For everyone to "know" that I'm a gay person, and then for me to turn around and say "oh no I'm not". I just cannot wrap my mind around all of this. :disenchanted:

... and suddenly think "I am a child of God?" and I actually felt quite emotional, even tearful.

God Bless,

~Brenton.

Good thought and a profound emotional experience to boot. Can't get much better than that.

I love it when I have been praying and meditating and get a feeling of universal oneness. It feels so satisfying. The sort of stuff that makes for spiritual nourishment.

I'm just really not sure what to think, though.

I don't actually attend church as of yet, I swore that I would read the BofM cover to cover at least once before "taking the plunge".

I'm currently up to Mosiah.

I'm absolutely terrified of what's going to happen if this is true.

Take whatever feelings you are getting and apply your faith to them. Read Alma 32. Don't be afraid. God understands the whole journey and He understands what each one of us needs on every step of it. Put your hand in his and let him lead you. Have faith that more testimony is waiting for you and you have time to journey to receive it all.

Hey everyone.

(I hope this is the correct board to be posting this on, if not, please move it :) )

Yesterday I was sitting in my car, (well, my mothers car, but I was in the driver seat because I'm learning to drive). She was in at her chiropractor, and I was just sitting reading the Book of Mormon. I usually carry it with me all the time so I can read it at any opportune time. In the car, on the train, waiting for a beverage [usually a decaf coffee] etc. For some reason, I happened to look at myself in one of the mirrors, and suddenly think "I am a child of God?" and I actually felt quite emotional, even tearful.

Later in the evening I was chatting to a missionary by the name of Phillip from London on Mormon.org. I was asking him about whether God personally hears my prayers, and so forth (I have not prayed for months, not really ready to discuss why here yet). He told me ofcourse He does. I told him about my experience in the car, and he told me that it was God telling me the Church is true, and showed me a scripture which detailed the "fruits of the spirit".

If anyone needs more detail, I will provide. But what do you think, is God telling me this is true?

God Bless,

~Brenton.

That is a testimony moment that we bind to our self-edification by the Holy Ghost. What you receive is TRUTH. We have those moments and should always cherish it and write down as personal revelation. Even when I finally received that answer concerning the 'I AM', I was in tears in feeling the Holy Ghost touch.

Expect more of those moments to come later....:D

I'm in a gay relationship, openly and outly gay to my friends ... who are -all- atheists.

My mother is a catholic, my father warned me against "going near mormons" (which is the reason why i became an investigator, because he was saying that based off false knowledge and stereotype) ... however he knows perfectly well that I read the BofM.

My relationship isn't just some ... "teen crush" type thing either. He think's we'll be moving in with e/a in a few years after I finish high school (final yr is next yr).

I'm really very afraid.

For everyone to "know" that I'm a gay person, and then for me to turn around and say "oh no I'm not". I just cannot wrap my mind around all of this. :disenchanted:

My heart just feels for your situation. I can't imagine the complexity of emotions you must feel. But I do know that nothing is too hard for the Lord and I know that he moves mountains and makes rough places smooth and he can figure this thing out for you.

You have my love and support.

As your journey continues seeking the Lord, you may well find that being a child of God means being loved by an eternal Father in Heaven. When you begin to feel this love unconditionally on a daily basis, it will begin to root out the fears in your life until there are no more fears. They are swallowed up in the Atonement of Christ who has conquered all fears.

There is no fear in love

Best wishes, bud. We're here for you.

I'm really very afraid.

Wow. That is a big leap to take!!!

Here are some ideas, hope they help....

I believe Heavenly Father know very much what you are facing in this. He knows your fears....

He stands ready to support you. Also, this may be a time for His "trying" of you, to see what you'll choose to do once he has presented you with the truth.

Remember, He stands ready to support you through whatever sacrifice is required of you in coming to Him.

There are beautiful scriptures about the joy/happiness that come to those who are willing to "lay down their lives" to "follow Him."

I also recall the account of the rich man who refused to give up all that he owned to become a disciple of the Saviour. This sorrowed the Saviour.

Also, know that you have many friends here, who are willing to support you through these difficult choices. My prayer is for you to choose well those things that will bring you the most happiness.

Dove

I'm really very afraid.

You said you were reading in Mosiah -- I love this book. I don't know where you are at but in Mosiah 27 we read of the conversion of Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah.

Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah (Alma the elder, by the way, is a prophet of the Church) are going about trying to destroy the church. If it's mentioned in the scriptures you can just imagine what horrible things they (in their youth) might have been doing. It's a beautiful conversion story and one of my favorites.

If they had to repent of all their wrong doings and were able to turn their lives around and become wonderful, strong members of the Church -- don't you think you could too?

You are showing such strength now -- you really are -- and the Holy Spirit will help you when you feel week but first we must move by faith, knowing that he will help us.:)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good question, one I have been faced with as well. I have been reading the BOM for a bit. I have faces a lot of flak from my wife and family over it. I am reminded by my son on an almost daily basis that "I ain't no Mormon!", (he means well). Just when I think that I put it away, it comes back. I cannot help it. It is fascinating. But something keeps drawing me to learn more about the Church.