Question about Praying

jazzy225

I have lived here in Utah for a long time and I know many LDS families and families of other beliefs. I have also seen many of these families in local restaurants.

My question is:

I have noticed that all of the LDS families I know, do not pray in restaurants.

I have been in local wards and stake houses, and lds do pray before meals there.

Why not in restaurants? I do see young lsd at BYU praying before their meals, but not at public restaurants.

Just curious..

My first guess is that it feels like the rest of world is watching something sacred and its uncomfortable.

I know some who do pray at a restaurant and I have done it before, but it kinda feels weird so I don't do it and I don't feel bad about it.

I think at BYU it is more accepted public behavior, but at a restaurant it may not be.

I do see young lsd at BYU praying before their meals, but not at public restaurants.

Just curious..

I prefer the aged stuff myself...it has a little more kick.

It is a comfort thing. Certainly, praying before meals is not required for salvation. It is encouraged, but, as I understand it, it is encouraged because meal times are a convenient time to bring the family together to pray.

I'm not very consistent about praying in public (or at all for that matter). If I'm in a loud and busy restaurant, I usually don't pray. I'm much more comfortable if the restaurant is quiet and with little activity. I can't tell you why I feel more comfortable that way, but I do.

If we are going to a busy buffet style, (which is noisy) (and some go straight to the buffet :eek:) we say the prayer in the car. So, just because the blessing of the food is not observed, does not mean it was not given. And I am thinking that if we do it this way, others probably do, also.

Oh, and when we go on the Ward Temple trips via bus, the prayer will be given on the bus, before we go into the restaurant.

I do see young lsd at BYU praying before their meals

Hey jazzy225,

Ceeboo prefers old cocaine at U of M much more than young lsd at BYU. I can see your point though.:):):):):)

Sorry my friend, I simply could not resist.:)

God bless,

Carl

Hey jazzy225,

Ceeboo prefers old cocaine at U of M much more than young lsd at BYU. I can see your point though.:):):):):)

Sorry my friend, I simply could not resist.:)

God bless,

Carl

I couldn't for the world tell what you all were talking about. Slip of the brain.

It is kind of like the LDS sitting around on lsd, while using dsl. J/k

If we are going to a busy buffet style, (which is noisy) (and some go straight to the buffet :eek:) we say the prayer in the car. So, just because the blessing of the food is not observed, does not mean it was not given. And I am thinking that if we do it this way, others probably do, also.

Oh, and when we go on the Ward Temple trips via bus, the prayer will be given on the bus, before we go into the restaurant.

we do the same - I think as well as us feeling uncomfortable it can make other diners uncomfortable - they are paying for their meal and have come out to relax, I find it personally better manners to pray before we leave the house or for my husband and myself to say the prayer with head bowed silently - For me the scripture about he who prays publically applies here and certainly for myself the spirit is wrong in this situation. I leave my kids singing hymns in the toilets to do the missionary work (anyone else have a child that is incapable of using the loo in public unless they sing I am a Child of God at the top of their lungs?)

-Charley

I have lived here in Utah for a long time and I know many LDS families and families of other beliefs. I have also seen many of these families in local restaurants.

My question is:

I have been in local wards and stake houses, and lds do pray before meals there.

Why not in restaurants? I do see young lsd at BYU praying before their meals, but not at public restaurants.

Just curious..

I cannot answer for all - only myself. My wife and I eat out 2 or three times a week. We almost never say a prayer at restaurants but rather have our prayer before we go or in the privacy of our car before we enter the restaurant. I consider prayer a very sacred form of worship and I do not like to cast my perils before swine. I do not necessarily know that there are religious swine but rather than push that envelop I error on the side of caution.

The Traveler

We can pray in any attitude while walking, enjoying nature, etc. Being Grateful and thankful for all things is a also a prayer. We do not need to ask for it to become a prayer.

Peace be unto you

bert10

My question is:

Just curious..

I also agree with the others that prayer is sacred and it should be treated as such.

How can you feel the spirit when people are shouting around you or staring at you while you do your prayer.

I have seen families do this at restaurants where they all hold hands and bow their heads with their eyes closed. I don't think they do it to get peoples attention but that's exactly what happens.

Rain

I had it explained to me in the Gospel Essentials class that praying openly in restaurants was not something we do.

In my experience, I have known Mormons who prayed in a restaurant and those who did not. I suspect the food would nourish and strengthen our bodies either way. Especially at oriental buffets.

My Church strongly encourages me to pray before any meal at any place and any time in thanking God for the food provided.

Catholics traditionallly make the sign of the cross before and after any prayer before meals, although this ancient practice is not always followed.

-Carol

I had it explained to me in the Gospel Essentials class that praying openly in restaurants was not something we do.

In my experience, I have known Mormons who prayed in a restaurant and those who did not. I suspect the food would nourish and strengthen our bodies either way. Especially at oriental buffets.

It seems a lot of people brought up the same word to describe why they do not pray in public. Most replied, we do not feel comfortable.

I personally am not ashamed of it, I am impressed when I see families praying. It adds to their testimony....It shows their committment to what they believe.

Honestly. I don't think Jesus was comfortable while he was on the cross. I think I can handle just a little discomfort for a worthy cause.

Its nothing to do with being ashamed - the uncomfotable feeling I experience is from the Spirit and it indicates its is something I do not do. Most Latter Day Saints put a great deall of importance in listening to that still small voice and when I hear it say NO I obey because it is from God. I have no problem personally saying a prayer before an exam, or in the street if I need help to find something - but in a noisy restaurant everything in me says that it is irreverant for me to do so.

Jesus suffered the atonement because the Father required him to do so otherwise his experience on the cross would have been no different to the other people with him. Praying in a restaurant is not something that my Heavenly Father or my Saviour requires of me - but likewise I have no problem suffering discomfort when it is.

You always have to allow for the personal revelation each LDS receives when taking a decision like this

-Charley

It seems a lot of people brought up the same word to describe why they do not pray in public. Most replied, we do not feel comfortable.

I personally am not ashamed of it, I am impressed when I see families praying. It adds to their testimony....It shows their committment to what they believe.

Honestly. I don't think Jesus was comfortable while he was on the cross. I think I can handle just a little discomfort for a worthy cause.

So, are you saying that everyone 'Should' pray in restaurants?

Who said anything about being ashamed?

I cannot think of a valid or justified reason not to. :sunny:

I am glad such rational and actions works for you. That is something that I am sure is part of your dedicated religious expression.

I just hesitate to judge these miniscule behavioral differences of one another's walk. How does one judge the righteousness between the one who prays at home, or in their car, or in their heart? Or between one who chooses to pray in public and one who chooses their closet? Is one more righteous than the other because the prayer takes place 10 steps inside the restaurant?

I believe the commandment was to pray and to have gratitude in our hearts even for the very food we eat. I see in every expression obedience of such a commandment and an expression of said gratitude.

Edited by Misshalfway

I am not LDS. In some ways-I wish I was. I have always admired the emphasis of the LDS Church on missions and missionaries.

I only wish my own Church did the same thing.

One Question-do LDS missionaries pray at restaurants while on mission-or is it a personal thing?

-If they prayed on mission in restaurants-do they still do it now? If so-why? If not why not?

-comments welcome

In a sense, I guess we alll should be missionaries always. The world is hurting. People are hurting. We bring Light to the darkness. The worst "belief" today is un-belief in anything but "The Almighty Self."

If you are a missionary of the LDS Church--Thank You.

-Carol-a Catholic

My husband says the mission president here (not sure if its current the recent mission president) directed missionaries to pray outside the restaurant before they go in - which seems to fit with the direction most members get through personal revelation for some reason its obviously irreverant to do so.

-Charley

My question is:

Just curious..

Pray before meals in public doesn't always have to be obvious. As a child I was taught to say a silent prayer to myself. That doesn't mean you have to obviously fold your arms and bow your head, close your eyes. Just pause a moment and talk to God.

applepansy

Who said anything about being ashamed?

Look what the search of ashamed came up with.

1. Ashamed, humiliated, mortified refer to a condition or feeling of discomfort or embarrassment.

Almost everyone mentioned being uncomfortable in their posts about praying in public.

For a church who claims to be the "only true" church and claims complete authority, it seems funny, that most LDS would take the position of praying in their vans/buses before they eat at a restaurant.

Every true Christian I know, prays in public before they eat or at any function (public or not). It reinforces what they believe and represents to others what they believe.

Nothing like seeing a 20 top praying. It makes what they believe even more powerful..They don't care what other people think.