Question about Praying

jazzy225

Look what the search of ashamed came up with.

1. Ashamed, humiliated, mortified refer to a condition or feeling of discomfort or embarrassment.

Almost everyone mentioned being uncomfortable in their posts about praying in public.

For a church who claims to be the "only true" church and claims complete authority, it seems funny, that most LDS would take the position of praying in their vans/buses before they eat at a restaurant.

Every true Christian I know, prays in public before they eat or at any function (public or not). It reinforces what they believe and represents to others what they believe.

Nothing like seeing a 20 top praying. It makes what they believe even more powerful..They don't care what other people think.

For me its nothing to do with what someone else thinks its what God thinks is priority for me - as Latter Day Saints personal revelation is important too us. The Church of Jesus of Latter Day Saints is worldwide, I have yet to see any manner of religious person praying inside the restaurant in the UK it is deemed inappropriate,, even Muslims will step outside at prayer time, although quite frankly my husband says having lived in the bible belt he never saw a single person praying in a restaurant there either - so the personal revelation not to seems pretty widespread. For me prayer is sacred its not to be misused and praying inside a restaurant is misusing a gift God has given me. And personally I think in the UK praying in a restaurant would set back missionary work a lot.

-Charley

A "true" Christian has no bearing on whether or not one prays in a retaurant or not.

Otherwise-what would be the focus of our faith?-our prayer posture?

I may have my differences with others on this board, but I would not judge anyone by whether or not they pray in a restaurant or not.

-Carol

1. Ashamed, humiliated, mortified refer to a condition or feeling of discomfort or embarrassment.

Almost everyone mentioned being uncomfortable in their posts about praying in public.

For a church who claims to be the "only true" church and claims complete authority, it seems funny, that most LDS would take the position of praying in their vans/buses before they eat at a restaurant.

Every true Christian I know, prays in public before they eat or at any function (public or not). It reinforces what they believe and represents to others what they believe.

Nothing like seeing a 20 top praying. It makes what they believe even more powerful..They don't care what other people think.

For me prayer is sacred its not to be misused and praying inside a restaurant is misusing a gift God has given me.

-Charley

Public Prayer

At times we may be asked to offer a public prayer, perhaps in a Church meeting or class. When we receive this opportunity, we should remember that we are communicating with Heavenly Father, not giving a public sermon. We should not worry about what others may think of what we say. Instead, we should offer a simple, heartfelt prayer.

Pulled off lds.org.

According to your LDS website, you should have no problem praying in public.

Public Prayer

At times we may be asked to offer a public prayer, perhaps in a Church meeting or class. When we receive this opportunity, we should remember that we are communicating with Heavenly Father, not giving a public sermon. We should not worry about what others may think of what we say. Instead, we should offer a simple, heartfelt prayer.

Pulled off lds.org.

According to your LDS website, you should have no problem praying in public.

I don't think many are worrying about others as I stated before I have no fear praying in public never have had, however I do not believe a noisy restaurant is the right place - it does specify church meeting or class

-Charley

Interesting take...... pretty heavy bat you are swinging there Jazzy.

I think it may have also to do with this.....

Matt 6:1-8

1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

5 ¶ And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy acloset, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall freward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

I am not saying that praying in a restaurant is a bad thing in any degree. I just see different ways of expressing the same devotion.

I don't know Jazzy, your remarks are so cutting....the beam and mote thing comes to mind as well but I don't really have the energy........::::shaking head:::

Edited by Misshalfway

Matt 6:1-8

1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

5 ¶ And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy acloset, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall freward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

[/Q]

I take that to mean you pray in public like the church statement says with other people who are like minded and join in the prayer, I actually went to a restaurant last night as part of our Family Home Evening and I thought about and actually I now believe praying in a restaurant whilst won't keep you from the Temple is not right either what would be missing would be other people silently joining in - in sacrament or other church meetings the people and the Holy Ghost is strong with you, in a restaurant the people around you are not with you and actually I know in my country would be embarassed and very uncomfortable - which would actually not only remove the spirit from the prayer but the whole evening lol I don't mind being seen as a religious nut, but not when I am doing something I very much believe Heavenly Father does not want me to do.

Jazzy like the scripture says pray in the restaurant all you like you already have your reward, I personally know that our family prayer in the car before we entered the restaurant was filled with a deep spirit we could not have attained in the restaurant, and that our evening was blessed by Heavenly Father we received untold riches because of it - we also pray after our meal on FHE because we sit and discuss where it came from - it gave Ellie chance to thank the pig that gave her, her sausages and to be greatful for the farmer that produced the wheat, potatoes, carrots and the cow that gave its milk etc. Again that was done in the car with a much stronger spirit than could be achieved in the restaurant.

-Charley

Nice try MHW,

We do not do it for everyone to watch, we are giving thanks, period. We are not embarrassed or have any discomfort to pray in public.

We will help at the 400S overpass here in SLC, it is a Christian program to feed the hungry. The leaders pray before everyone eats. For this group of 300-400 people, that prayer is the only one they will probably hear in that week. Yes, some only care about the food, but, others are quite thankful.

And Yes, I am shaking my head. Most LDS on this thread, have said, "it is uncomfortable to pray in public". I'll say it again. I think We can handle a little discomfort, as Jesus did when he was on the cross.

Obviously, we have different beliefs. The people I know, don't let their feelings get in the way of giving thanks, no matter where it is.

jazzy, I think our Bishop is correct in having the prayer on the bus, before we depart it. Most of the time, after a Youth Temple Trip, the "meal" stop is at the mall. Once everyone gets off the bus, they go in all different directions...some eat, some do not. A group prayer, on the bus, is very reverent, and the spirit is there.

I am not embarrassed to say a prayer, anywhere/anytime; however, in a crowded restaurant, a noisy restaurant, when every one may not even be together, is not as reverent or spiritual, as having done it before entering.

You need to not be so adamantly judgemental of how and when others pray.

y

And Yes, I am shaking my head. Most LDS on this thread, have said, "it is uncomfortable to pray in public". I'll say it again. I think We can handle a little discomfort, as Jesus did when he was on the cross.

I can handle a little discomfort what I can't handle is disobeying my Heavenly Father and doing something that is my opinion sacred in an inappropriate place, My Heavenly Father is too important to me, and prayer is something I hold as deeply sacred and deeply personal even when done in public it is my contact with God.

Obviously, we have different beliefs. The people I know, don't let their feelings get in the way of giving thanks, no matter where it is.

s

Not one Latter Day Saints has said they don't give thanks we tend to give thanks before and after a meal in my family- what they have said is they feel it wrong to make a display of it in the very specific example of a noisy restaurant one big reason is to us prayer is a two way conversation and quiet and reverent is important so we can listen to the Lord as well as talk to Him. I fail to see how the example you sight of a noisy restaurant is conducive to that most sacred communications, when he prayed in Gethsemane the Saviour moved out of earshot and maybe I am wrong but is there a singular example in the scriptures of someone praying in public when that prayer wasn't for everyone within earshot?

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

I am not embarrassed to say a prayer, anywhere/anytime; however, in a crowded restaurant, a noisy restaurant, when every one may not even be together, is not as reverent or spiritual, as having done it before entering.

My previous post. We will help at the 400S overpass here in SLC, it is a Christian program to feed the hungry. The leaders pray before everyone eats. For this group of 300-400 people, that prayer is the only one they will probably hear in that week. Yes, some only care about the food, but, others are quite thankful.

others pray.

True, concerning the story above.

So your saying before we feed these people, the leaders who are there for the sole purpose of witnessing to the people in need, should either board a bus or step behind a truck in order to pray and give thanks for this food these people are about to receive? A lot of people did not listen to the pray, but, a few did. This is what impacts peoples lives.

I do not think there is a right or wrong answer on this subject.

Prayer is personal. It is one way we connect with our Creator.

When and how we pray-and what we say-are influenced by our religious tradition.

Praying should not become a legalistic matter.

I pray before meals sometimes in restaurants. I would like to say always-or that the spirit guides my actions-but honestly-I just sometimes forget to pray.

My religious tradition Lutheran to Catholic emphasizes prayer before meals anywhere.

Another religious tradition may emphasize a different aspect of prayer.

Neither are wrong in my opinion.

Neither should be cloaked in legalism terms of "true" "right" or "wrong."

Ultimately God/Our Hevenly Father knows us and our motives and actions and deepest desires.

Carol

Edited by abqfriend

Thanks Carol - I guess I am not saying its wrong for everyone I just got a bit riled with Jazzy's attitude I am sorry Jazzy that is entirely my fault and I know better than to attribute attitude to a post you may not have intended to sound the way you did.

However for me to pray in a situation where I can't enjoy the full spirit unless its an emergency to me feels wrong,

-Charley

Nice try MHW,

We do not do it for everyone to watch, we are giving thanks, period. We are not embarrassed or have any discomfort to pray in public.

We will help at the 400S overpass here in SLC, it is a Christian program to feed the hungry. The leaders pray before everyone eats. For this group of 300-400 people, that prayer is the only one they will probably hear in that week. Yes, some only care about the food, but, others are quite thankful.

Well, I guess you're right. You are just better than us silly mormons.

We will help at the 400S overpass here in SLC, it is a Christian program to feed the hungry.

What a wonderful thing to do. I too did this in my younger days and felt satisfied in helping out. Whether at the overpass, the Salvation Army, St. Vincent De Paul's, the homeless shelters, Alliance House, the Salt Lake City Mission, the Greek Orthodox Church and even wonderful private establishments like Nectors - Thanksgiving dinner for those in need is great. I imagine the Governor and his wife will be piling food on the plates again this year. Bless them all.

• 1 month later...

"We will help at the 400S overpass here in SLC, it is a Christian program to feed the hungry. The leaders pray before everyone eats. For this group of 300-400 people, that prayer is the only one they will probably hear in that week. Yes, some only care about the food, but, others are quite thankful."

If the LDS Church were feeding a large group of people like this there would be a public prayer. There were about 200 people at Trunk or Treat...the person praying was on a chair so that everyone could hear.

The discomfort felt is not being out in public...if you were to go to a service on Sunday you would hear no less than 8 public prayers (beginning and ending every class and before passing the Sacrament). Saints are some of the most praying outloud people that I have ever met! I think that the discomfort is the fact that when we pray we are earnestly seeking to hear the Spirit guide our prayers. This is hard in an environment that is loud....it has nothing to do with praying in front of others...

• 3 months later...

"We will help at the 400S overpass here in SLC, it is a Christian program to feed the hungry. The leaders pray before everyone eats. For this group of 300-400 people, that prayer is the only one they will probably hear in that week. Yes, some only care about the food, but, others are quite thankful."

If the LDS Church were feeding a large group of people like this there would be a public prayer. There were about 200 people at Trunk or Treat...the person praying was on a chair so that everyone could hear.

The discomfort felt is not being out in public...if you were to go to a service on Sunday you would hear no less than 8 public prayers (beginning and ending every class and before passing the Sacrament). Saints are some of the most praying outloud people that I have ever met! I think that the discomfort is the fact that when we pray we are earnestly seeking to hear the Spirit guide our prayers. This is hard in an environment that is loud....it has nothing to do with praying in front of others...

Semodex, you are absolutely right. If the church is holding or sponsoring an event a prayer will be offered. For example, if you were to attend a BYU football game, a prayer is offered, if the church does a soup kitchen a prayer will be offered.

jazzy225, frankly, your attitude and judgment toward people who do not practice as you do is what is embarrassing please try to be more respectful of other people's practices when there is no defined policy from the church. I have found no official church statement as to whether or not a public prayer should be offered in a restaurant, which means that it is left up to the individual member to decide with the guidance of the spirit. You are not in a position to pass judgment on what the spirit communicates to another person.

Personally, I have sided with the majority of the posters here. I do not pray while seated in a restaurant. I feel it is inappropriate for the setting. I feel that a public prayer, even when offered as respectfully as possible in a restaurant often draws unwarranted attention. Personally, if I were to offer a prayer in such a place I would have to question my motives as to whether or not I was doing it just to, "be seen of men." Prayers should not be conducted in such a manner. They are sacred acts that, I believe, should not be displayed in places where it can draw attention to the prayer giver and away from it's purpose as communication with God.

However Jazzy225, you have absolutely every right to practice as you do. If you are able to pray in public and offer a sincere, heartfelt prayer for the right reasons and with the spirit, I truly commend you. But please do not infer that an LDS member who does not pray as you do in restaurants is doing it out of shame and then comparing it to Christ on the cross. You are grossly overstepping your bounds and causing a spirit of contention in the discussion board.

Everyone has to decide what works for them. A family with a car load of kids would certainly do better to pray in the car before dinner ... something about an outing winds kids up and getting them unwound to pray could be a problem. I have patterned what I do after my folks ... they have served 5 missions and pray everywhere. They are so good at praying in restaurants sometimes I even miss it. It is personal and humble and no less special for the place. They have prayed all over South America and continue here at home. I know that there were many reports after 9-11 of missionaries on their knees in airports and what a comfort it was to the people around them. In our town we have a community dinner the last week of the month for those that have more month than money. It is an interdenominational thing. At first they decided not to pray before dinner so as not to offend people ... our RS Pres felt it proper to pray in this setting and said so and ask why if they didn't want to pray in the public room they couldn't bless the food in the kitchen before it went out. This is now standard procedure. No one should ever be condemed for how, when or where they choose to pray ... that is between them and the Lord.

I have yet to see any manner of religious person praying inside the restaurant in the UK it is deemed inappropriate,

I live in the UK and I am not aware of this. I have never had anyone call attention to the fact the we ask a blessing on our food before we eat in a restaurant and I have certainly never known anyone to object to it.

For me prayer is sacred its not to be misused and praying inside a restaurant is misusing a gift God has given me. And personally I think in the UK praying in a restaurant would set back missionary work a lot.

I have never felt that I was misusing the gift of prayer by praying inside a restaurant and I really don't understand how it sets missionary work back by doing so.:( We don't make a big song and dance about it, just bow our heads and quietly say a few words to our Heavenly Father before starting the meal. I have never felt wrong when doing so and never felt unable to commune with my Heavenly Father in any situation. If the restaurant is noisy the noise becomes irrelevant once I am praying. The noise is of this world and my prayer is of another. I don't think Heavenly Father is unable to hear me over the sounds of the world.

It just seems like a perfectly natural thing for me to do. I don't think we've ever drawn attention to ourelves by doing so. I think the other diners are far to interested in what they are doing at their own tables to take any notice of what we are doing at ours. It's not as if we consider what other people will think of our conversation with each other before we speak to each other on any subject.

Interestingly a couple of years ago our Stake President commended our Youth for praying in McDonalds - he said that showed real faith to ask that a burger would be "Wholesome and nourishing"! :D

• 1 month later...

I cannot answer for all - only myself. My wife and I eat out 2 or three times a week. We almost never say a prayer at restaurants but rather have our prayer before we go or in the privacy of our car before we enter the restaurant. I consider prayer a very sacred form of worship and I do not like to cast my perils before swine. I do not necessarily know that there are religious swine but rather than push that envelop I error on the side of caution.

The Traveler

Our family does the same. Our children are small still and they recognize is much better to pray in the car for it is quiet. I also believe that it is a very personal experience to be shared with those that can appreciate it.

I have a sister in-law that quite secular and even more liberal in her ideology but she always insist on me saying the prayer at family gatherings and meals. According to her: "something rings true" in her mind when I bless the food. I am not clear about her concept of God for she declines to elaborate but I always agree to pray because they can appreciate it as well, even when they do not share our faith.

Wonderful Connection

"In our eager efforts to improve, sometimes the most basic ingredient for real improvement is neglected: a deep and meaningful realization of our divine connection- our relationship with God." —Lloyd D. Newell, Divine Connection

The silent prayer coming from within your heart is heard by your Father in Heaven regardless where you may be. The God of heaven and earth who knows the thoughts of your heart hears your silent words mentioned in prayer.

Edited by Gargantuan
adding more definition

Meaningful Prayers

"As you study to understand the scriptures, . . . your prayers must not be limited to that. . . . Your Heavenly Father wants you to pray about your hopes and fears, your friends and family, your school and work, and the needs of those around you." Elder D. Todd Christofferson, "When Thou Art Converted," Ensign, May 2004, 12