The three categories of Mormons.

Fiannan

I while back I was asked by a young person who knows one of my kids what Mormons believe and how they think. I think I have an answer for her the next time we talk.

Category One -- "Goid said it, I believe it, that settles it" GBIIBITSI personality type.

These are the people who feel questioning is a sin and that if the Church comes out with a pronouncement then the point is settled, no reason for discussion. If a child asks why mom took the three earrings out of her left ear the answer is that now wearing such things is wrong and sinful.

Positive aspects of GBIIBITSI -- person feels confident in their positions and that they are doing what is right.

Negative aspects of GBIIBITSI -- Hard to have a deep conversation with them. Their kids often wind up either becoming just like them or leaving the Church. Usually the family splits (i.e. 6 kids, three go totally inactive, a couple of them become like the parents and one totally becomes permissive.

Category number two -- "I think I need to pray and study" or the ITINTPAS personality type.

These people are almost identical in appearance to the Category Ones but their attitudes are not as fixated at all. They feel that when they hear something they have concerns with then they need to examine the issue very carefully. These can be broken down into two sub-categories -- strong member orthodox or strong member liberalistic.

The first will attempt to find the reasons why a pronouncement is made -- in the earring example they may try to sort out (personally and with kids) why the Church has taken this stand. However, if it doesn't fit their views or insights in regards to whatever they will continue to have the multiple earrings (even if they are temple workers) and they will let their kids get such piercings.

The second will react that they don't want to be controlled and will sort the issue out as well however they will do their best to justify not following lots of stands, but will still be fairly mainstream anyway. They may, just may, get another piercing just to show independence even though they may take them out for Church. Many in Category Two liberalistic may just feel that it isn't worth the effort to "rebel" on this issue.

Positive aspects of ITINTPAS is that they are usually the ones who know scriptures and have studied Church history the most and their kids are generally better behaved and fun to have in classes as they have tons of insights and may even disagree with you.

Negative aspects -- Sometimes their testimonies become suspect by the Category Ones.

Category Three -- "Yeah, I believe, but don't try to rule my life" or YIBBDTTRML personality type.

These people have a testimony but also have a liberalistic approach to what the Church says. They might not even have an earring (male or female) but get a few anyway just to show they can, and get away with it.

Positive aspects -- can be really creative and fun to be with.

Negative aspects -- can justify a whole lot of suspect things.

I would like some feedback on this observation since not only did I get this question a while back but I have been invited to speak to a religion class in a local high school (25 17 year olds) and sometimes youth have the notion all Mormons are the same. I also am contemplating a blog on this subject. So please help out please and help me develop it.

Finnian, just so I am clear and that I understand. The only one that has any negative, true negative is the first one. Split families and children leaving the church. The other two negatives are more suspect by number ones and the number threes can justify their disobedience?

Personally I try not to tell God I don't agree with him or those, who I believe, are called to serve him.

Guess I am just #1. Always wanted to be #1 :)

Ben Raines

I don't know that we can stick people into 3 distinct categories... True, they exist, but people are people...

Let me give you an example of my church life:

I was baptized 5 years ago this March. At first, I didn't want to dive right in. I had my testimony and that was good enough for me. I gave up coffee and tea and didn't want the church trying to control my life in any other way. Perfect #3. Then I got married and grew up a little bit. I morphed over a few months into the #1 type. I was in this phase when I knew darn well that the church was true, but didn't know enough to justify to myself or anyone else why I felt it was true. I just had a testimony. So I took things like the Word of Wisdom and the Blacks/Priesthood issue and changing doctrines as "God said so, that's all that matters."

But at this point, I still had doubts. Before joining the church, my knowledge of the church came from anti-LDS material. In my quest to dispel those doubts, I morphed into a #2. I really wanted to know and understand why the church was true and I wanted to know and understand the history behind some of the controversial stuff. Just having at testimony wasn't good enough for me, I desired more.

Now, I'd say I'm a #1/#2 combined. I don't doubt the church or its leaders, and I strive to follow their words every day. But at the same time, I want to know the WHY's of certain things. I search the scriptures and church history and pray to see for myself how certain things that we're told to do fits in with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I don't do it because I doubt it or because I'm looking for an excuse to carry on in my sins, but I do it because I want to have more knowledge than "God said so."

So I like your 3 classifications and I agree that they exist. I just don't know that it's appropriate to say "when you talk to a Mormon you're going to encounter one of these four types of people" because obviously people can move around from one to another or be a mixture of different ones. Also with #2, I don't think that searching for how commandments fit in with the Gospel is the same as doubting. Some do it because they doubt and others do it to gain deeper understanding.

So I like your 3 classifications and I agree that they exist. I just don't know that it's appropriate to say "when you talk to a Mormon you're going to encounter one of these four types of people" because obviously people can move around from one to another or be a mixture of different ones. Also with #2, I don't think that searching for how commandments fit in with the Gospel is the same as doubting. Some do it because they doubt and others do it to gain deeper understanding.

I think that we put ourselves on shakey ground when we try to classify, catogorize and sub-catogorize a group a people. Any group of people.

I agree that there is a bit of truth in Fiannan's hypothesis but it also has flaws, because like cjmaldrich said "people can move around from one to another or be a mixture of different ones:, and also because there are more catagories than those Fiannan listed.

While reading this thread I found myself thinking "judge not, lest ye be judged."

Fiannan, If its helpful for you personally to catorgorize Mormons, go for it. To me its counterproductive and young people will see through it.

We are all on a spiritual journey. None of us is at the exact same place on that journey. Some are ahead and some are behind and none of us can truly know who is ahead or behind where we ourselves are. We can only know where we are in our journey to reach Salvation and Exaltation.

applepansy

P.S. I'm most definitely in Catagory 1. I seem to be able to have deep conversations with others because I respect their position and beliefs, and I want to understand where they are in their journey.

I reckon there is many million types of Mormon, one for each Latter Day Saint. Plus it only takes into account the church in the US

Personally I am with Ben - I want to be number 1, but am between 1 & 2 because sometimes I need to know what God has to say for myself. But 3 is not where I want to be.

-Charley

Folks, don't get me wrong. I seek Gods' influence and answers to my questions all the time. I learned long ago that it is not good to go it alone and make all the mistakes I made. I have learned to make a decision and then seek God's approval of my decision.

At the same time if guidance it given from church leaders I don't need to go in prayer and ask "Is this really from God". Instead I ask "How can I apply this in my life".

Based on Finnian's example of piercings I know of no commandment that we should not. No question in temple recommend interview if we do. No question either if we watch R rated movies. Those are guidelines given and by personal experience good to follow.

Ben Raines #1

Folks, don't get me wrong. I seek Gods' influence and answers to my questions all the time. I learned long ago that it is not good to go it alone and make all the mistakes I made. I have learned to make a decision and then seek God's approval of my decision.

At the same time if guidance it given from church leaders I don't need to go in prayer and ask "Is this really from God". Instead I ask "How can I apply this in my life".

Based on Finnian's example of piercings I know of no commandment that we should not. No question in temple recommend interview if we do. No question either if we watch R rated movies. Those are guidelines given and by personal experience good to follow.

Ben Raines #1

I do know of some who had nose piercings that went to the Temple and was asked to remove....I know of no commandment either....but I know what I read in the Book of Mormon....and we taught our kids not to do that.....

I agree with you Ben....

I would like some feedback on this observation since not only did I get this question a while back but I have been invited to speak to a religion class in a local high school (25 17 year olds) and sometimes youth have the notion all Mormons are the same. I also am contemplating a blog on this subject. So please help out please and help me develop it.

Teach them the Parable of the Sower instead.

I while back I was asked by a young person who knows one of my kids what Mormons believe and how they think. I think I have an answer for her the next time we talk.

Category One -- "Goid said it, I believe it, that settles it" GBIIBITSI personality type.

These are the people who feel questioning is a sin and that if the Church comes out with a pronouncement then the point is settled, no reason for discussion. If a child asks why mom took the three earrings out of her left ear the answer is that now wearing such things is wrong and sinful.

Positive aspects of GBIIBITSI -- person feels confident in their positions and that they are doing what is right.

Negative aspects of GBIIBITSI -- Hard to have a deep conversation with them. Their kids often wind up either becoming just like them or leaving the Church. Usually the family splits (i.e. 6 kids, three go totally inactive, a couple of them become like the parents and one totally becomes permissive.

Category number two -- "I think I need to pray and study" or the ITINTPAS personality type.

These people are almost identical in appearance to the Category Ones but their attitudes are not as fixated at all. They feel that when they hear something they have concerns with then they need to examine the issue very carefully. These can be broken down into two sub-categories -- strong member orthodox or strong member liberalistic.

The first will attempt to find the reasons why a pronouncement is made -- in the earring example they may try to sort out (personally and with kids) why the Church has taken this stand. However, if it doesn't fit their views or insights in regards to whatever they will continue to have the multiple earrings (even if they are temple workers) and they will let their kids get such piercings.

The second will react that they don't want to be controlled and will sort the issue out as well however they will do their best to justify not following lots of stands, but will still be fairly mainstream anyway. They may, just may, get another piercing just to show independence even though they may take them out for Church. Many in Category Two liberalistic may just feel that it isn't worth the effort to "rebel" on this issue.

Positive aspects of ITINTPAS is that they are usually the ones who know scriptures and have studied Church history the most and their kids are generally better behaved and fun to have in classes as they have tons of insights and may even disagree with you.

Negative aspects -- Sometimes their testimonies become suspect by the Category Ones.

Category Three -- "Yeah, I believe, but don't try to rule my life" or YIBBDTTRML personality type.

These people have a testimony but also have a liberalistic approach to what the Church says. They might not even have an earring (male or female) but get a few anyway just to show they can, and get away with it.

Positive aspects -- can be really creative and fun to be with.

Negative aspects -- can justify a whole lot of suspect things.

I have only found two types of Latter-Day Saints.

1. Those that understand and live by their covenants.

2. Those that do not understand or live by their covenants.

The Traveler

The OP is rooted in psychology. I forget the name associated with the theory, but the idea was that simply believing something fully, without questioning it ever, is firm but shallow and fragile. Mature convictions come when one's beliefs are challenged or tested. Having passed through the fire, those beliefs that remain, are indeed mature and strong. Quite often they are somewhat revised from the original precepts.

There is some validity in this. Jesus, in his parable of the Sower and Seeds, spoke of those who quickly believed and grew, but with very shallow roots. Once a test came, they were blown away.

I have no idea how BYU's academic atmosphere is, in the arena of faith. However, imho, the best faith-based schools are faith-supporting, but also encourage intelligent exploration.

If that is Fiannan's bottom line, I agree. On the other hand, we sometimes confuse strong, adamant declarations of faith, offered by folk who may not be eloquent in speech, nor quick in debate, as being thoughtless. Sometimes it's the faith of such folk that is the most tested and longest to endure.

I think it is folly to try to categorize or lump members of the church into only 3 general groups. Inevitably you will run into those who don't fit into any of those, or who fit quite comfortably into more than 1 category depending on which portion of their life you look at. Ultimately, if you want to do groups, then I want to be in the one labeled 'faithful servant and child of God'. Not that I'm there yet, but that's the one I want to be in.

Edited by john doe

Guest Godless

I'm inclined to agree with those who have said that it's hard to lump Mormons (or followers of any religion, for that matter) into only three groups. However, I think the three descriptions you gave cover a majority of LDS members.

I have to say, I was a bit taken aback by your description of group 1. It sounds a lot like my parents. They're definitely the "follow and obey" types. When President Hinkley gave his counsel against piercings and tattoos several years ago, my mom removed her extra earrings that same day and never put them back in. I'm the oldest of 5 and so far I'm the only apostate. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents dearly, but sometimes I can't help but wish that they wouldn't take their religion so seriously.

A note here: Heaven was divided into 3 groups. Lucifer and his fallen angels were one group. That is what is meant by a third part of heaven – that statement does not mean 1/3.

With the Flood man was divided into 3 groups. 1. The Covenant (Shem) 2. The Gentiles (Japheth) 3. The heathens (Ham)

In the resurrection there will also be a division of 3. The Celestial, Terrestrial and Telestial.

The Traveler