H.S. 100-0 win (unsportsman like IMO)

Dr T

A girls basketball team in Dallas recently beat another team 100 to 0. They are now seeing a forfeit. I love this quote from this article "a victory without honor is a great loss." The kids kept pushing a full court press and shooting 3 point shots. COME ON coach! What's up with that? SO UNCOOL imo. :confused:

Rivals High - School seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

Huh? So they feel bad for being better players than the other team? I don't get it. How is that "unsportsmanlike" to win a game when you are genuinely better players than the other team? And it seems like the other team players were very gracious losers and didn't stop playing even after the score got so high.

I've been on the other end of a blowout and I'll tell you it is demoralizing. You think "Why are we here?" "Are we really that bad?"

When you are up 50-0 you shouldn't be full court pressing, or taking 3 pointers, that's rubbing it in their faces. How many of those girls on the losing team wanted to go to practice the next day, or play the next game.

BTW~We lost 115-45 (IIRC)(a long, long, long time ago)

Not that I've heard of HD but maybe there was. This was a recent one that I read about.

===

Jena, it's not so much the superiority of one team over another-that was not the issue. To disgrace the other team, and continue to pound them when the other team was unable measure up was the issue. My eldest son is a remarkable soccer player. He loves to score and dribble and is very skilled at all aspects of the game. Being his coach I teach him to be a good sport. Yes there are times when he and other players on the teams that we've had could score all day long, take be ball away from the other team and squish them BIG time but I always have them use good sportsmanship, sit my son, put the not as skilled players up front, or have them make 5 good passes before any shots can be made or the like. To win is not bad. In fact, I love to win. Just honor the other team's ability and feelings too. That's how I see it.

Hey B! I just wanted to share this with you..here's the flip side to your story. Sports in Texas aren't ALL bad! It's kind of a long read..but well worth it. I cried when I heard it this morning..I thought it was cuz I'm so sick and that makes me all emotional, but no... it's just that touching :) Hope you like it.

Tale of Two Christian Schools - Kiddnation

B - I fully agree with you and that the behavior of the Covenant Team - Coaches, Parents and Players was unsportsman like. In high school sports -okay- in any sport there's no need to ever run up a score like that.

I did however love the reaction of the losing team. And how they hung in there and just had fun playing. Very good sports in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but if I was on a losing team and the girls whipping me dropped their game just to make me feel better I would be MORE embarrassed.

I was taught that in EVERY SINGLE GAME you played til you were nearly dead on the court, regardless of how big the gap is. That's not rubbing someone's nose in it, it's doing what you are supposed to do.

so you should stop playing your best because the other team can't keep up? I disagree. so toyota mercedes, and bmw should take it easy on the quality of their cars because they are so much better than american?

Should the apostles slack off, maybe skip a tithing payment, mayve smoke a cig so other members won't feel the apostles are so much better than them?

I disagree, as long as the players were not taunting the other team and making fun of them.

You should always be the best you can, and do the best you can.

am i successful at always being the best i can, no...and i know when i'm not and feel bad then.

Thank u for that RachelleDrew. I agree that we should never "give up" but again, in the name of sportsmanship not only for victory and honor in compassion outweighs winning 100-0. Thanks again though.

===

So would u do the same thing against your children?

===

Haven't u all watched the moral of the story in Disney "Cars"? Go watch it again.

^Miztr, I agree with your post.

Something about the over-sensitivity of this generation makes me ill. I'm glad they did their best and were gracious losers and all that, but the outrage at the other team is unwarranted. I don't think anyone should be punished for doing better than someone else.

I even dealt with something similar last semester in college, there was a huge gap in one of my classes between myself and the other students comprehension-wise. We were unfortunately graded on a curve, and you would not believe the guilt trips people (the professor included) would put on me for setting the curve too high.

Winners shouldn't be made to feel bad about winning. You don't always get a gold star at the end of the day.

I've lost many times in my life, i've gotten creamed more times than I can count. It was FANTASTIC for my growth. I always got better after I got the crap kicked out of me in sports or school or work.

Thank u for that RachelleDrew. I agree that we should never "give up" but again, in the name of sportsmanship not only for victory and honor in compassion outweighs winning 100-0. Thanks again though.

===

So would u do the same thing against your children?

===

Haven't u all watched the moral of the story in Disney "Cars"? Go watch it again.

Um, YES. I want my kids to realize that life is tough. My son does a lot of crying over the fact that he isn't the center of the universe, and mommy isn't going to hold his hand and spank people who make him feel bad. Tough cookies.

I've never watched "Cars". I can already tell I wouldn't like it.

I've always found the best person to play against to bring up my own skills-that's not the issue here. If U don't get it then u just don't get it. It's not about beeing overly-sensitive but if you need that to be my problem then just call it that. I will continue to teach my kids to excell in all they do AND teach them about sportsmanship. Thanks :conscience:

I'm sorry, but if I was on a losing team and the girls whipping me dropped their game just to make me feel better I would be MORE embarrassed.

Exactly. And if I was on the losing team and scored a point ONLY when the other team started easing up on their game, I would not have been proud of it. It would have been a "pity point", IMO.

I dunno, this whole thing just reeks of the whole "everyone's a winner!" PC mantra. Like we shouldn't allow anyone to ever realize just how bad they are at something, and those who excel more than others ought not to make it too obvious that they're genuinely better than their competition, and should feel ashamed when it DOES become obvious that they're better. :huh:

That is very different in my book Jena, just giving up one point compared to 100 to nothing. That is a huge difference. I see u have it in your minds one way as I do too but I think we are talking about two different things here. Diff. scenarios, different ultimate ethics I guess.

The point that I have issue with is the fact that Covenant kept up the full court press, etc, etc. They could have let up on the full court press and let the other school at least play a little. You know? Not give up points or let up on pressure in the half court but at least let the other girls run a couple of plays and if they broke them up..fine. Good for them. They were obviously the better team.

Also, I think the part that stuck in everyone's craw here was the reaction of the parents and the assistant coach. From the descriptions I've heard, it seemed almost blood thirsty. That could be an overexaggeration on the sensitive parties side, but you see what I'm saying?

I think there definitely needs to be a balance in sports. We see it all the time in pro sports. These guys will practically knock each other out and then take the time to help the fallen player up, pat him on the bum and say a quick word of support. You hear about professional players who've known each other since high school or college and end up on opposing teams have dinner before or after a game, but on the court or field it's all business. And there's no offense taken as long as everyone's playing a clean game. I think that's the point I would drive home to my kids if they had any interest in sports.. play your hardest and play a clean game.

okay..I'll get off my soap box now. :)

The point that I have issue with is the fact that Covenant kept up the full court press, etc, etc. They could have let up on the full court press and let the other school at least play a little.

okay..I'll get off my soap box now. :)

According to what their coach says in this article, they DID let up on full-court press, *3 minutes* into the game. They also pulled out their Starters and put in their Bench Warmers.

The winning team's coach has now been fird for "un-Christ-like" conduct.

Covenant coach who beat Dallas Academy 100-0 is fired

06:04 AM CST on Monday, January 26, 2009

By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News

[email protected]

The Covenant School fired its girls basketball coach Sunday, the same day he posted a message on a youth basketball Web site saying he disagreed with school officials who had publicly apologized for the team's 100-0 victory over Dallas Academy.

In reporting the firing, Kyle Queal, Covenant's head of school, emphasized that former coach Micah Grimes "now only represents himself" when discussing the game, which has become a national talking point. Queal said he could not say whether the firing was a direct result of the posting and declined to answer any questions.

In a statement posted Sunday on Flight Basketball Academy :: Individual & Group Basketball Instruction :: Dallas, Texas, Grimes offered his first public comment since the story was first reported.

"I respectfully disagree with the apology, especially the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel 'embarrassed' or 'ashamed,' " part of the post says. "We played the game as it was meant to be played and would not intentionally run up the score on any opponent. Although a wide-margin victory is never evidence of compassion, my girls played with honor and integrity and showed respect to Dallas Academy."

Grimes also included the quarter-by-quarter scoring on his post: 35, 24, 29, 12.

At the end of his post on the Web site, which identifies him as co-founder of Flight Basketball, Grimes wrote, "So if I lose my job over these statements, I will walk away with my integrity."

Grimes did not teach or work at The Covenant School. He was in his fourth season as girls basketball coach, having built the program from a 2-19 record his first season to a state championship contender last season. Covenant, which plays larger out-of-district schools, is 6-3 this season and undefeated in its Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools district. It has informed TAPPS headquarters that it has chosen to forfeit the Dallas Academy game.

Grimes responded briefly to an e-mail request for an interview, indicating that he might speak at a future date.

On Thursday, Covenant posted a statement on its Web site that said it "regrets ... the outcome of the game with the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team. It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition." It was signed by Queal and Todd Doshier, chairman of the school's board of trustees.

That was also the day the national spotlight began focusing on the game, following a report in The Dallas Morning News on the 100-point shutout on Jan. 13.

Dallas Academy coaches and administrators say Covenant kept the pressure on until it reached 100 points midway through the fourth quarter.

Until Sunday, Grimes hadn't made any public comments since he e-mailed The News on Wednesday night. In that e-mail, which was also sent to Queal and athletic director Brice Helton, Grimes called scoring 100 points "unfortunate."

"It just happened," he wrote. "Please know Covenant intended no harm against them. I see this as a real learning opportunity, so we can prevent this from happening in the future."

Grimes said in his Sunday post that his team stopped applying full-court defensive pressure after the score reached 25-0 three minutes into the game, then dropped into a relatively benign zone defense and began resting its starters in favor of its three bench players.

Dallas Academy coach Andrew Lott agreed that Covenant stopped pressing at that point but returned with an alternate press later in the game.

"I am 100 percent sure," said Lott, who estimated that his team was able to take seven shots all game.

Dallas Academy, renowned for its work with students who have learning disabilities, is winless this season and has not won a game in at least four seasons.

"He's entitled to his opinion," Lott said of Grimes' assessment of the game. "If you ask 10 people about it, you might get 10 different answers."

Lott said his team did not videotape the game, hosted by Covenant, but he is certain Covenant did.

"Maybe we could look at the tape," Lott said.

Cheryl Bugg, whose daughter is one of Covenant's top players, said she didn't want to talk about the firing.

She said the parents of the team's eight players met with school officials Saturday and outlined three goals for the program:

"We want to represent Christ with the highest respect, we don't want to humiliate anyone ever and we want our students to be enthusiastic in everything they do."