Is there proof?

science4life

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is this: is there any proof that the Book of Mormon was inspired by God or from God in origin?

And also, can any of you show me proof that Jesus is the son of God?

Just curious.

when Christ was on the earth he taught and told several he was the Son of God...and some did not believe

If others could see the Gold Plates that the Book of Mormon was translated from I don't think it would make many more believe than what believe already

If the spiritual interacts with the earthly in any way, it should leave traces of it's activity. For instance, if Jesus himself were to show up in Tokyo, where there would be plenty of eyewitnesses to see it, that would leave proof. If God gives someone information, and that person had no possible way to access that information on their own, then thats proof as well (I.E. the location of buried treasure).

And since in religion God seems to show lots of activity in our world, where is the proof?

If the spiritual interacts with the earthly in any way, it should leave traces of it's activity. For instance, if Jesus himself were to show up in Tokyo, where there would be plenty of eyewitnesses to see it, that would leave proof. If God gives someone information, and that person had no possible way to access that information on their own, then thats proof as well (I.E. the location of buried treasure).

And since in religion God seems to show lots of activity in our world, where is the proof?

I don't agree....he was on the earth....and many did not believe...

Eyewitnesses? If that's what you want, the entire Bible is filled with them. We as Mormons also believe that the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants are full of testimonies of Jesus Christ as well. :)

For instance, if Jesus himself were to show up in Tokyo, where there would be plenty of eyewitnesses to see it, that would leave proof.

But how many witnesses is proof? One, Two, Three, Five, Ten?

Who decide what makes something proof?

Joseph Smith gave his account of Seeing both God and Jesus Christ!

Joseph Smith—History 1

The same would hold true for the book of mormon. 12 saw the golden plates? Is the proof? Or is just that we have the book itself (the results)

If God gives someone information, and that person had no possible way to access that information on their own, then thats proof as well

I guess we are assuming the information is true, and not just made up. That it can be verified from an outside source.

So how does Joseph Smith that has a lack in education translate a book?

My question is this: is there any proof that the Book of Mormon was inspired by God or from God in origin?

And also, can any of you show me proof that Jesus is the son of God?

Just curious.

What would you regard as proof? A magical neon sign saying 'Authored by God'?

Seriously, though; how do you intend to approach the subject? Do you plan to use the doctrine in the Book of Mormon as the groundwork for a grand philosophical theory that accurately explains the existence and origins of the cosmos? Or, do you intend to see if the events contained therein are historical and concurrent with modern theories of history? Or, do you have some other method in mind?

Speaking from a 100% scientific standpoint, there is no technical, objective, extrinsic 'proof' on whether the Book of Mormon is of God or not. However, there are tons of examples and evidences pointing us towards the right conclusion.

For starters, I direct you to Jeff Lindsay's web page of evidences for the divine origins of the Book of Mormon.

KoalaBear-

Did you read the article I linked? What do you think of it?

science4Life-

Same question. Also, it is of note that some of the current leading members of our church were scientists by profession before being called to lead the church. Some prominent examples:

Russell M. Nelson- Earned his M.D. in 1947; was a member of the team that created the first machine that could take the place of 'the functions of a patient's heart and lungs, while the patient was undergoing heart surgery.'

Richard G. Scott- '[G]raduated from George Washington University as a mechanical engineer and thereafter completed postgraduate work in nuclear engineering at Oak Ridge, Tennessee.'

Other apostles are trained businessmen (such as Robert D. Hales, L. Tom Perry, David A. Bednar, Thomas S. Monson, and others) or lawmen (such as Dallin H. Oaks, who served in the Utah Supreme Court for a time).

The reason I point this out, is that the men who faithfully lead our church and believe in it with all their hearts are not professional theologians, but men trained in the sciences and arts of the world. Many of these men received honors for outstanding work in their sundry fields; Holland attended Yale for his doctorate work.

This is not a religion run by deluded men living in a purely theological world- this is a religion led by truly learned men.

I mention this because I believe it has a direct bearing on the Book of Mormon. Their belief in the Book of Mormon is not based in accidental ignorance or purposeful delusion, but through a mixture of seeing the truths- mainly spiritual, some historical- the Book of Mormon actually contains. In the minds of these trained, scientific men they are able to make peace with the fact there's no magical neon sign saying 'GOD AUTHORED THIS BOOK', or 'THIS IS GOD'S CHOSEN CHURCH'. Truth, as is beauty, is to be found in the eye of the beholder, and one who has beheld cannot convince another of the truth unless the latter follows the same procedures as the former to ascertain said truth. I promise you, you will not find a satisfactory answer- yay or nay- on this issue unless you approach God, whether you believe He exists or not, and ask Him directly. Of course, you must know what exactly you're asking Him, so you must have at least read significant portions of the Book of Mormon first and pondered it in your mind. It is through this way, and this way only, that one can find out the truth. If no God exists, an answer will not be received. If He does...

Edited by Maxel
Fixing grammar

There is no such proof, by the way, but I get your point.

there is proof evolution happens it can be recreated under lab conditions HOWEVER there is no conclusive proof it is how our particular group of humans came into existence. There is just enough evidence to suggest it COULD have happened that way,

-Charley

If the spiritual interacts with the earthly in any way, it should leave traces of it's activity. For instance, if Jesus himself were to show up in Tokyo, where there would be plenty of eyewitnesses to see it, that would leave proof.

Hey science4life, if you really wish to hold up and defend science as a good thing, you should learn the difference between evidence and proof. Because as things stand now, you seem to have some misconceptions. If someone calling himself Jesus showed up in Tokyo, he'd leave evidence. There's a big difference between evidence and proof.

I wouldn't expect you to desire to learn the difference from a guy named "loudmouthmormon", but please look into it on your own.

LM

Truth and religion don't exactly go hand in hand. PROOF of this is the ignorance that a religious person displays when they ignore scientific studies proving evolution.

I think that evolution is the best explanation we have to describe how complex life forms developed. Yes, I'm religious, and yes, I agree with the evolution theory. This may not be true for all Mormons, but to me, truth is truth no matter the source.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, it would be best in its own thread.

Truth and religion don't exactly go hand in hand. PROOF of this is the ignorance that a religious person displays when they ignore scientific studies proving evolution.

it is not ignorant to put your faith in God and do your best. To ignore an individual's experience of life even if you do not agree with it is equally ignorant. I have my own views and a good level of education but I am not about to discount someone else's experience and personal evidence of God and how life occured. One thing studying science taught me was the more you learn the less you actually know for certain.

-Charley