Wondering why a lot of people here don't put their real pic on their profile pic?

aapheak

A lot of people (including myself) don't think it's a good idea to put their pictures on the internet. Generally, you don't want to put enough personally identifiable information out there so that somebody with a little bit of resources can uniquely identify you. From there you get into all sorts of trouble.

Alternatively, you could just put a picture of something cool looking there and then hope people assume you also look cool. *whistles innocently*

I prefer anonymity. It means I get to share personal details without embarassing my wife.

LM

I have a sneaking suspicion that you embarrass her enough, LM. :D

BTW, I still like your other avatar. I get confused when I see your name next to this new one--I keep looking for the pot bellied, funny looking person.

Who says they aren't? I think Pale, Pam, Ceebo and a few others really do look like a horse, an orange person, and squirmy dude.

An orange person? That's Gingy woman...get it right. :P

my profile pic/avatar changes depending on my mood. if there's a pic of myself that i like, i'll use it. if i come across a funny pic (buddah gopher) i'll use it. if i come across a beautiful picture, i'll use that. just depends on what i find randomly floating around on the internet.

I really don't like my pic so I'm probably never going to use one. Other then looks, pic's rarely say much other than race and gender. A personal picture won't suggest what someone's religion, political affiliation, and personal beliefs are most of the time. I think the pictures people use found on the internet (art, pictures of animals, cartoons) do reflect a lot of the individual's creativity and personality.

Just my 2 cents.