weapons in the home?

Guest Ceeboos_Boss

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ceeboos_Boss

Are you gun enthusiasts or you were thinking more for protection? It does make a difference.

If you are think about a weapon for protection I would suggest a shotgun. Go to Walmart and purchase a Mossberg 500 BANTAM, a good trigger lock and a bunch of shells. Take or basic NRA safety course and you would be ready to go. The idea is to have a weapon that is easy to use and just about fail proof. With a shotgun you aim in the general direction and you can hit anything at 30 feet.

You do have to show you kid a video about gun safety and what guns do to children. It will shock him but that is the idea and to remove the temptation to go and try play with it. When you bring it home you have to let him see it and handle it a bit and then you put it away. Someplace where you can get to it on a hurry if need be, with a trigger lock ON. The key on a magnet glued to the wall high up 2 feet from there.

Anything else, in terms of weapons and objectives requires a lot more money, training and more expensive safety measures.

Yes it would be for protection and for protection only. Dont shot guns have a big kick back?

And if you go to walmart do you still need a permit?

Yes it would be for protection and for protection only. Dont shot guns have a big kick back?

And if you go to walmart do you still need a permit?

I'm not a huge gun enthusiast (I do own a couple, but I'm too lazy to use them), but I'm pretty sure you don't need any sort of permit to own a firearm. Most (all?) states require a permit to carry a concealed weapon, but not to buy a weapon. I think the only requirements are that you are an adult citizen without a felony record.

As for kickback, shotguns do have a pretty good kick, but nothing that's going to hurt you. Just take an NRA course to learn about using the weapon and you'll be fine.

How old are your kids?

My son is A crazy wild monkey. He 7

And he loves PLAY GUNS and I think that is one of the things im most scared of.

My sons are 15 and 13, but I exposed them at a very young age...I took them target shooting, we shot all kind of things o that they could see the damage. They have a great deal of respect for guns now, rather than a natural...and dangerous curiosity.

Ok here goes.... I have seven children.. All have survived guns in our home ... We use to go out target practicing for fun with the kids and when they were old enough they got their first gun a BB gun then a 22 and then when old enough to hunt a rifle ususally a 30/30. We have never locked our guns up but have always taught by example and followed the following rules... 1) Always treat a gun like it is loaded. 2) Never point a gun at people EVER 3) If you shoot it you have to eat it :} I know this will draw some humorous remarks.... Later as our kids were older we got into paint ball guns and soft pellet guns then the rules changed a bit.... 1) Never shoot anyone above the shoulders :} 2) Do not shoot cars, buildings etc..... We have had great wars in the forest and wonderful family memories. So I have no negative feelings toward guns.... It is time again to change the rules as my son is going to Iraq. My sons and daughters know what a gun is and know how to use it and have from a young age.... I think that is a good thing..

Edited by prospectmom

it depends on yoru state, Illinios is pondering a requirement for anyone to own a gun to have a 1,000,000 insurance policy, which will be impossbile to get, so therefore you can't own a gun ...way to go ILL on bypasing the 2nd amendment, and Indiana, i can walk into walmart or cabela's or anywhere, and buy a shotgun in less than 20 min...ive purchased several firearms, and have had the background check done already

I received my CC permit almost a year ago. I want to own a gun. I grew up with guns in the house and knew that if I were to ever touch them, then I would suffer worse than a bullet hole--the wrath of DAD!

Seriously, it's all in how you treat them. If you treat them as something to fear and hide from children, then they will be curious to know about them and may sneak them. If you teach them how to use them and explain the seriousness of them, then the mystery and allure is gone.

Regardless, I think guns should be placed in a place that is either locked or hidden from children (even the ones who know how to handle). My reasoning is because even if they know how to use them, kids may tell other kids (who may try to steal them) or they will have additional curiosity/rebellion.

I love target shooting. I could buy a shotgun without any permit, but I need a permit for a handgun. I haven't decided on the type of handgun--my friend and I are going to go shooting so I can try different ones out to see what I like.

So, my wife and I are a good case study. We helped put a felon behind bars, and his first parole hearing is in a year. He may want some payback, and he knows where we live. So we've been preparing. We have 2 little girls in our home.

I've had my conceal-carry permit (in CO - UT laws are similar) for a few years, and I've been practicing that long also. Practicing not just at the range, but practicing gun safety. I have a special challenge or to to deal with, in that I'm a forgetful fumblethumbs. I've got my habits down, but still once or twice a year there is an 'accident' - meaning I've left it on a shelf instead of putting it away. Because I know I'm prone to such lapses in responsibility, I've adjusted my habits. I do not carry with a round in the chamber (translation - you can pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang - you have to cock it first - and my kids don't have the physical strength to do that yet.) We also have thoroughly familiarized our kids with handguns. They're 7 and 5 - really too young to understand, but they've watched us shoot, and they understand that it is a powerful tool that is not for them. I do very limited carrying inside our home. I'll do more if I can prove to myself that I'm improving - a year or two with

no 'accidents'.

My wife is also certain she wants the ability to carry for a while after he's left out of jail, so she started last year. She understands that she has to make plenty of lifestyle changes in order to safely own and carry a gun. When she gets home, she sheds her outside stuff all over the house - keys, wallet, coat, kids, purse, pants - they all go flying in random directions. She knows that unless she's able to change, holster, gun, and permit will follow suit, and that's not acceptable. Better to not have a gun. So, she's starting years in advance of any possible release date for this guy. Permit arrived a few months ago, she's practicing carrying her holster and permit right now - getting habits into place. WHen that's down, she'll start carrying on select occasions. She'll probably start with gun in holster and magazine in purse, and add to her readiness level as her confidence and habits increase. Line upon line I guess.

She took a 'self defense in the home' class offered by our local police dept. They strongly emphasized gun safety of course - but they also emphasized the need to carry within the home. A gun isn't a majic talisman that wards off evil. You have 2 seconds to defend yourself is a violent home invader wishes to break in and do bad things to you. That's not enough time to head for the bedroom, move all the dirty laundry away from the gun safe, fumble with the combination, grab the gun and load it.

So, Ceeboos_Boss, random things to think about:

* When considering a gun for protection, Isaiah 28:10 is the roadmap for learning how to do it safely. We all start out at the bottom of knowlege/experience, and work up from there.

* People like shotguns for home defense, because if you miss, there's less chance your shot will go through a wall and put a hole in your poor Ceeboo who was in the other room.

* I soundly and strongly reject Funky's statement "I say the bigger the caliber, the better off you are!" You're useless with a gun you can't hit anything with. You are worse than useless - you have a big sign on you that says "please take my gun and use it on me." The best advice is to chose the caliber/gun combination that fits you personally, that you can hit with quickly and accurately.

* Funky's other advice about gun safety is spot on. By the time I was 10, I knew where my dad kept all his guns and ammo, and I played with them often without his knowing. My friends got big kicks out of watching me load and unload the magazine. Your kids, or any kids who occasionally visit, are no different.

* The NRA is not like the LDS church - if you show a glimmer of interest, they don't surround you with zealous missionaries hoping to convert you. :) Consider taking a few classes from them - they're happy to educate you as much as you like, and then leave you alone. In fact, if you're starting out at the beginning, take a class or two before you buy a gun. They'll help you find what works for you.

LM

I received my CC permit almost a year ago. I want to own a gun. I grew up with guns in the house and knew that if I were to ever touch them, then I would suffer worse than a bullet hole--the wrath of DAD!

Seriously, it's all in how you treat them. If you treat them as something to fear and hide from children, then they will be curious to know about them and may sneak them. If you teach them how to use them and explain the seriousness of them, then the mystery and allure is gone.

Regardless, I think guns should be placed in a place that is either locked or hidden from children (even the ones who know how to handle). My reasoning is because even if they know how to use them, kids may tell other kids (who may try to steal them) or they will have additional curiosity/rebellion.

I love target shooting. I could buy a shotgun without any permit, but I need a permit for a handgun. I haven't decided on the type of handgun--my friend and I are going to go shooting so I can try different ones out to see what I like.

i can put you in touch with a dealer in lebanon, reasonable prices, runs it out of his house, and he's licensened, i wouldn't send you toa guy on carmel drive sellling out of his trunk..lol

With a shotgun you aim in the general direction and you can hit anything at 30 feet.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Shot takes time to open up when leaving the barrel. An Unchoked barrel ,with 00 buck has about a 2 inch spread at 12 ft.(the average length of a room)

If you are shooting an intruder at such a range where yo don't have to aim 1 of 2 things are most likely going to happen

1 your going the have to fire your guard staff who let an intruder into your mansion.

2 your out side, and your about to take a ride in a black and white because you used lethal force on a non imminent threat.

Not to knock the shotgun but in a home invasion situation it is basically a longer and heavier handgun.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Shot takes time to open up when leaving the barrel. An Unchoked barrel ,with 00 buck has about a 2 inch spread at 12 ft.(the average length of a room)

If you are shooting an intruder at such a range where yo don't have to aim 1 of 2 things are most likely going to happen

1 your going the have to fire your guard staff who let an intruder into your mansion.

2 your out side, and your about to take a ride in a black and white because you used lethal force on a non imminent threat.

Not to knock the shotgun but in a home invasion situation it is basically a longer and heavier handgun.

depends on the state if you can mortally wound someone on yoru property or not

gotta love Texas

depends on the state if you can mortally wound someone on yoru property or not

gotta love Texas

Quite a few states have castle doctrine. But imminent threat is still a prerequisite in most if not all. The farther the less one needs to aim with a shotgun but the less threatening the target becomes.

Personally i like Florida laws the best, The are very lenient when it comes to owning and carrying guns, but they also have a 10/20 life sentencing system for gun crime.

IIRC 10 for committing a crime with a gun, 20 if you shoot it, life if you hit or kill someone ,

I believe this is an individual choice that should be based on prayer and meditation. There's nothing necessarily wrong with weapons: as long as individuals around them are mature and trained to use them properly.

There's nothing that states a person must have deadly weapons in their home. Tasers, numchuks, german shepherds and crossbows can often be as effective as a pistol, if properly used. There's also nothing wrong with not owning weapons, if you feel you wish not to take the risk. The Lord did not condemn the Ammonites for burying their weapons of war in the name of peace.

While I am well trained in weapons, I do not own any firearms at this time. It is a personal choice made with prayer. My oldest son at home has an arsenal of knives and swords, I have a crossbow and a few knives. Right now, I feel this is sufficient for our needs.

I was wondering what people on this sites feelings are about having weapons in the home (with or with out children)..

CB;)

My 2 cents :)

Weopons in the home with children ( Not an absolute bad idea )

Weapons in the home with a cranky husband ( Absolutly a bad idea )

Peace,

Ceeboo

I think the fear of a brandished weapon is many times the most effective aspect of it. A lot of people tend to go on vacation as soon as they see the business end of a firearm. Shotguns certainly are intimidating. I think a household would do well to own at least one handgun, one shotgun, and one rifle. This gives the family the capability to effectively defend themselves from any range. The versitility of the AR-15 sure makes it attractive. It is the duty of every man to defend his family against not only criminals in black masks, but criminals in big domed houses.

-a-train

Guest missingsomething

Many things can be used as a weapon.... which are you speaking of... guns?

I personally have no need for a hand gun... I know wouldnt fire one at someone even if I had it... and to be safe w/ kids I would have to have the ammo stored and locked FAR from the gun...so by the time I got it... loaded it... I'd probably be dead anyways.

My family are hunters... their ammo is locked in one cabinet... guns locked with safety locks in another.

I think you should ask yourself... would I really be willing to use it...if I had to?

Now.. pepper spray... yeah.. I got that in every shelf over 4 feet tall :)

I am not American - I have no issues with weapons in the home as long as they are away from children and children are taught to be responsible

However as we don't hunt see no need for them and as such are an unnecessary danger. My husband and I can both fire a gun, he is a good shot I am not.

Personally I want to foster in a few years and in that situation for me its a big no

-Charley

well, just before we got married my wife sold her handgun because she knew i am not a gun dude and had an objection to having guns in the house with kids. She does have an old shotgun that has no ammo. However we had a conversation the other night and I have agreed that with todays economic climate we might want to have something to defend ourselves if things were to degrade to rioting and pillaging. I have agreed that we will buy a gun safe, a rifle for hunting, and a good handgun and practice with them. We are not concerned with your everyday burglars. There may come a time when we may need to protect our home and food storage, such as it is, from people out trying to pillage and plunder. It is conceivable that we could have to hunt for food.

wow. you Americans sure love your guns. i'm 27yo and ive never even seen a gun besides television. or maybe the butt of the gun in an officers holster, but ive never seen out of the holster or close up. i was thinking about going to America to see the salt lake temple one day, but maybe i'll consider staying here. :o

Gaspah, the danger of visiting America has been vastly overstated. Seriously, come on over and visit! You're from the land of killer crocs and rabid kangaroos, so nothing here will faze you. You'll have no troubles in Friendly America as long as you remember some simple, common-sense rules:

• When shaking hands, extend your right hand slowly, and keep your left hand visible at all times.
  • Never look another man directly in the eye. Ever.
  • If you accidentally encounter someone on the street, DON'T PANIC. Just back away slowly.
  • Don't be a fool -- never go out without your body armor.
  • If you hear gunfire nearby, COUNT. Most revolvers hold six rounds.
And remember: "Gun control" means you hit what you're aiming at.

See you soon, mate!

Gaspah, the danger of visiting America has been vastly overstated. Seriously, come on over and visit! You're from the land of killer crocs and rabid kangaroos, so nothing here will faze you. You'll have no troubles in Friendly America as long as you remember some simple, common-sense rules:

• When shaking hands, extend your right hand slowly, and keep your left hand visible at all times.
  • Never look another man directly in the eye. Ever.
  • If you accidentally encounter someone on the street, DON'T PANIC. Just back away slowly.
  • Don't be a fool -- never go out without your body armor.
  • If you hear gunfire nearby, COUNT. Most revolvers hold six rounds.
And remember: "Gun control" means you hit what you're aiming at.

See you soon, mate!

you forgot about the demonic drop bear... the larger more deadlier cousin of the domesticated koala.

Yeah, it is in the country's DNA. That is why we wrote it into the constitution. Hope not, but you never know when the people need to defend themselves from tyranny again.

Beyond that, just like there are people who play cards as a pass time, in the US there are shooting and hunting clubs. Others want to feel they can protect themselves and their families. Most invasion rubberies end up with somebody dead. as penalties increase in severity criminal figure that witnesses are a serious hazard so they do kill them. Some families would like to do something (purchase a weapon) and plan for their own home protection.

Temple Square in Salt Lake is just beautiful. And there is nobody with guns hanging on their hips on the street, if that's what you are thinking. So, do come and visit.

aw man, but i was planning on funding my religious trek with home invasions and robberies.. ^_^