Compiling an Extensive List of Spiritual Gifts. Help?

I am looking to compile an extensive list of spiritual gifts. I would like to find at least 30 (or more if I can). Anyone add to my list? Please give a scriptural reference for the spiritual gift you are listing if you can.

1) The Gift of Faith

2) The Gift of Charity

3) The Gift of Tongues

4) The Gift of Interpretation of Tongues

5) The Gift of Translation

6) The Gift of Wisdom

7) The Gift of Knowledge

8) The Gift of Teaching Wisdom and Knowledge

9) The Gift of Knowing That Jesus Christ Is the Son of God

10) The Gift of Believing the Testimony of Others

11) The Gift of Prophecy

12) The Gift of Healing

13) The Gift of Faith to be Healed

14) The Gift of Working Miracles

15) The Gift of Discernment

16) The Gift of Beholding of Angels and Ministering Spirits

17) The Gift of Physical Strength (see Judges 14:5-6)

18) The Gift of Humility

I am looking to compile an extensive list of spiritual gifts. I would like to find at least 30 (or more if I can). Anyone add to my list? Please give a scriptural reference for the spiritual gift you are listing if you can.

1) The Gift of Faith

2) The Gift of Charity

3) The Gift of Tongues

6) The Gift of Wisdom

7) The Gift of Knowledge

11) The Gift of Prophecy

12) The Gift of Healing

17) The Gift of Physical Strength (see Judges 14:5-6)

18) The Gift of Humility

The only refferance i can give yu would be my own personal experiances of the spirit; and that would be that the spirit will give one gifts as we worthily and righteously need. I dont think we can put a title on every differant gift , as some gifts are truely not describable by mans words.:)

Thanks for your input. I think I can add number 19 now. I can't seem to find any scripture references for this gift but I would call it the Gift of Gratitude.

I can also add number 20 now.

20) The Gift of Beholding of Dreams and Visions

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

Ever since I began compiling this list I have been thinking more about spiritual gifts. Some of the gifts are covered under charity. What is charity? The pure love of Christ. I would say the following gifts are included if you have charity:

The Gift of Faith

The Gift of Wisdom

The Gift of Knowledge

The Gift of Believing the Testimony of Others

The Gift of Discernment

The Gift of Humility

The Gift of Gratitude

However, one could have any of the seven above listed gifts and not have charity which is why I think they should be listed separately.

The below is from this resource put out by the church: LDS.org - Family Table of Contents - True to the Faith

“Spiritual Gifts,” True to the Faith, (2004),165–67

Spiritual gifts are blessings or abilities that are given by the power of the Holy Ghost. God gives at least one of these gifts to every faithful member of the Church. As you receive these gifts, they will strengthen and bless you individually and help you serve others. (See D&C 46:8–12.) The scriptures teach of many gifts of the Spirit:

• Knowledge “that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world” (D&C 46:13).

• The capacity to believe the words of those who testify of Jesus Christ (see D&C 46:14).

• Knowledge of “the differences of administration” (D&C 46:15; see also 1 Corinthians 12:5). This gift is used in administering and leading the Church.

• Knowledge of “the diversities of operations,” which helps us discern whether a teaching or influence comes from God or from some other source (D&C 46:16; see also 1 Corinthians 12:6–7).

• The gift of “the word of wisdom” (1 Corinthians 12:8; D&C 46:17). This does not refer to the law we know as the Word of Wisdom. Rather, it is the gift of wisdom—the ability to use knowledge in righteous ways.

• The gift of “the word of knowledge” (1 Corinthians 12:8; D&C 46:18).

• The ability to teach by the power of the Holy Ghost (see Moroni 10:9–10; see also D&C 46:18).

• The gift of faith (see 1 Corinthians 12:9; Moroni 10:11).

• The gift “to have faith to be healed” (D&C 46:19).

• The gift “to have faith to heal” (D&C 46:20; see also 1 Corinthians 12:9; Moroni 10:11).

• “The working of miracles” (1 Corinthians 12:10; D&C 46:21; see also Moroni 10:12).

• The gift of prophecy (see 1 Corinthians 12:10; Moroni 10:13; D&C 46:22). John the Beloved taught that “the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy” (Revelation 19:10).

• “The beholding of angels and ministering spirits” (Moroni 10:14).

• “Discerning of spirits” (1 Corinthians 12:10; D&C 46:23).

• The gift to speak in different languages, or tongues (see 1 Corinthians 12:10; Moroni 10:15; D&C 46:24).

• The gift of “the interpretation of tongues” (1 Corinthians 12:10; D&C 46:25; see also Moroni 10:16).

These spiritual gifts and others listed in the scriptures are only some examples of the many gifts of the Spirit. The Lord may bless you in other ways depending on your faithfulness and on your needs and the needs of those you serve. He has commanded us to work diligently so we can receive spiritual gifts:

“Beware lest ye are deceived; and that ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;

“For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me” (D&C 46:8–9; see also 46:26).

Additional references: 1 Corinthians 13; 14:1–33; Moroni 10:17–25; D&C 46:27–33; Articles of Faith 1:7

Hi, I'm wondering, where would the Gift of Seeing & Hearing Spirits of those who have passed on, be located in this list of Spiritual Gifts?

Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses. I am getting some good information. I do believe what you said is a spiritual gift I have not included in my list. I would call it The Gift of Beholding and Hearing Spirits.

For Doctrine and Covenants Section 4:

Chastity, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, and diligence are all a part of the gift of wisdom. Knowledge ia obviously covered under the the gift of knowledge. Charity and brotherly kindness are a part of the gift of charity

Compassion is a part of charity, but one can possess compassion and not have charity. So I think I will also add to list compassion as number 22.

So the list so far would be as follows:

1) The Gift of Faith

2) The Gift of Charity

3) The Gift of Tongues

6) The Gift of Wisdom

7) The Gift of Knowledge

11) The Gift of Prophecy

12) The Gift of Healing

17) The Gift of Physical Strength

18) The Gift of Humility

19) The Gift of Gratitude and Joy

21) The Gift of Beholding and Hearing Spirits

22) The Gift of Compassion

Renewal is part of the the gift of faith to be healed. This would cover physical as well as spiritual healing.

If we pray for things in faith that are in the will of God we will receive them. Receiving an answer to our prayers would be part of the gift of faith.

I am beginning to think my list is a fairly complete list of spiritual gifts. There are so many categories of spiritual gifts covered under the gift of wisdom.

I want a few more opinions. Would the Gift of the Holy Ghost also be included in the spiritual gift list I have compiled?

I was just going to say The Gift of the Holy Ghost..so yes.

12) The Gift of Healing

This could actually be broken down in 2 gifts.

To others is given the gift of “faith to be healed.” (D&C 46:19.) Most of us know persons who have been healed miraculously. Many of these healings are attributable, at least in part, to their gift of faith to be healed

Another spiritual gift is “faith to heal.” (D&C 46:20; see also Moro. 10:11; 1 Cor. 12:9; Teachings, p. 224–25.) This gift has an obvious relationship to priesthood administration to the sick. It has additional significance as well, since both men and women can pray for and exercise faith that a loved one will be healed. The Apostle James taught the early Saints: “Pray for one another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” (James 5:16.)

• 3 weeks later...

The following is a good list by Elder Ashton.

Let us review some of these less-conspicuous gifts:

the gift of asking;

the gift of listening;

the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice;

the gift of being able to weep;

the gift of avoiding contention;

the gift of being agreeable;

the gift of avoiding vain repetition;

the gift of seeking that which is righteous;

the gift of not passing judgment;

the gift of looking to God for guidance;

the gift of being a disciple;

the gift of caring for others;

the gift of being able to ponder;

the gift of offering prayer;

the gift of bearing a mighty testimony;

and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost”

(in Conference Report, Oct. 1987, 23; or Ensign, Nov. 1987, 20 ).

Forgot to add, in case you are interested. The Greatest gift is that of Charity. You should have that as #1 and everything else is a distant second. Let me know if you need references. I'm not sure I can just cut/paste from the Seminary Manual here. Does anyone know if that is allowed? I just taught this lesson to the students this morning. Great lesson that they could really get into. Some of the gifts mentioned are fun to talk about examples where they've seen them done. Good Stuff.

Ask: Are all the gifts equally useful? Show students an item or toy that is powered by batteries. Demonstrate how it works. Remove the batteries and show that now it will not work. Have students read 1 Corinthians 13:1–3 looking for what gives validity to exercising spiritual gifts. Ask:

* How is charity like a battery?

* Why do you think charity is a most important gift of the Spirit?

Invite students to read 1 Corinthians 13:4–7 and list the seven elements that describe how charity is manifest and the eight elements that describe what charity is not. Ask: How would your lives change if these elements of charity were part of your nature?

Read the definition of charity in the Bible Dictionary (p. 632) and the following statement by Elder Bruce R. McConkie:

“Above all the attributes of godliness and perfection, charity is the one most devoutly to be desired. Charity is more than love, far more; it is everlasting love, perfect love, the pure love of Christ which endureth forever. It is love so centered in righteousness that the possessor has no aim or desire except for the eternal welfare of his own soul and for the souls of those around him” ( Mormon Doctrine, 121).

Read Matthew 22:34–40 . Explain that “the law and the prophets” ( v. 40 ) refer to sections of the Old Testament. Ask:

* If all the law and the prophets hang on two commandments, what is the relationship between the scriptures and charity?

* Read Moroni 7:46–48 . How does Mormon describe charity?

* According to him, how do we obtain charity?

Point out to students that praying for charity is like praying for other blessings—we must also work hard to receive this blessing. Ask: What else can we do to develop charity? (Answers might include giving service, sacrificing for others, and obeying the commandments; see 1 John 5:2–3 .)

Read 1 Corinthians 13:8–13 and ask: How is developing charity like growing up from childhood? Encourage students to seek after charity, the most important of all the gifts of the Spirit.

Still_Small_Voice: I would be interested in seeing your full list if you don't mind. Or do i just need to piece it together from this thread?

The list of Spiritual Gifts I compiled was the following:

1) The Gift of Faith

2) The Gift of Charity

3) The Gift of Tongues

6) The Gift of Wisdom

7) The Gift of Knowledge

11) The Gift of Prophecy

12) The Gift of Healing

17) The Gift of Physical Strength

18) The Gift of Humility

19) The Gift of Gratitude and Joy

21) The Gift of Beholding and Hearing Spirits

22) The Gift of Compassion

I just watched the discussion of D&C 46 by some BYU professors on byutv.org. One of them mentioned a talk by Elder Ashton on spiritual gifts, so i went to find it. It is very good, and you might be able to add a lot more to your list after reading it. Here it is: LDS.org - Ensign Article - “There Are Many Giftsâ€

By the way, thanks for starting this thread. I've been very interested in spiritual gifts for a long time from something my patriarchal blessing says.

EDIT: Looks like rockwoodchev already posted Elder Ashton's stuff, guess i should read these posts more carefully. Oh well, there's the link anyway.

Edited by Connie

Doctrine and Covenants 6

Lists a couple.

Gift of the Knowledge of the Mysteries of God. (Which seems distinct from just Knowledge.)

Gift of Salvation (or The Gift of Eternal Life, as worded here: Doctrine and Covenants 14 )

Doctrine and Covenants 46

The Gift of Discerning of Gifts

Alma 9

The Gift of Preaching (differing from teaching Knowledge and Wisdom, in that it is teaching about the Gospel and declaring repentance?)

Romans 5

The Gift of Grace

The Gift of Righteousness

1 Corinthians 12

The Gift of Helps

The Gift of Governments (I don't understand these two.)

Mosiah 8

The Gift of Being a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator

Articles of Faith 1

The Gift of Revelation (listed separate from Prophesy, and not just in this scripture)

Doctrine and Covenants 11

The Gift of Convincing of Men

Others I would muse on from personal experience, not scripture:

The Gift of Diligence.

I know people who can work 60 hours a week and then come home and have energy to do more work. Some can't manage more than 40.

The Gift of Testifying of Christ

Just listen in Sacrament meeting. Some people seem to be able to do it "easier."

The Gift of Counseling

The Gift of Comforting

Both of these I've realized in giving and receiving blessing of comfort and counsel. Some individuals seem to comfort better, some counsel better. Some both the same.

The Gift of Remembrance.

Any Priesthood Key is a gift, as well.

The Gift of the Interpretation of Dreams

My patriarchal blessing says that I have the "gift of testimony". I can say that I have an absolute testimony of the power of testimony... wait. yeah, that is what I was trying to say... :rolleyes: Does that help?

A couple others that I thought about (I may have doubled up on some other posts, I didn't read everything):

- the gift of understanding (like how we see our fellow brothers and sisters and we can understand their trials and help because we understand)

- the gift of personal revelation (sometimes Heavenly Father has to bomp me on the head to get what I am trying to understand...)

- the gift of glimpsing beyond the veil (the temple is the closest I can figure for the veil to be the thinnest, I think that tho we don't fully understand, sometimes we get a glimpse!)

- the gift of reverence (at times we all struggle with being still, quiet, and prayerful. He can settle that peace/reverence on us when we need it)

- the gift of listening (not hearing, but listening. Sometimes we need someone to not only understand us, or have compassion towards us, but we need someone who can just listen. And on the other side of the coin there are times that we all need to put our ideas on hold and just listen to what is being said.)

- the gift of seeing the adversary's tricks

- the gift of knowing the truth

- the gift obidence (even tho we don't feel like it, still do God's will)

- the gift of love (even if someone is unkind... to still love them)

That's all I got for now!

Edited by sister_in_faith