What is it that give your life meaning?

Dr T

Guest missingsomething

My two beautiful girls - the awesome miracles that they are....

EVEN when they hand me boogers... ask me if worms poop... or fight with each other!

And honestly- the belief that I have that I am a Child of God. I mean it makes me try harder when I think that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father!

Thank u all for the answers given to that question. I found myself agreeing with each of those as important things that give our lives meaning. Many times, we put that question aside for some other day. I'm glad that some of you answered them in the way you did because if we don't start thinking about what gives our life meaning then it could be too late when we find the answer to that question. What good would it be if we find that answer too late? It seems to me that our lives need meaning now if we want to enrich our life and the life of others. I'd guess we all want to be thought of for substance, for what we do, for the love of family, accomplishments, our concern for others, etc. and I'm thinking those are life long traits that we want to hold down. It sounds partly like Godless's answer "Day by day." I'd love to read more if you have any and I appreciate your thoughts :)

Of course the family but also the knowledge that I have been sent here at this time for a purpose. A purpose helps give my life meaning. I have specific talents and traits which heavenly father has given me and I intend to use them to the fullest.

Some may find it difficult to understand but I know that at some point my family may have to take a back seat to my purpose which is why I try to make everyday count now.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone else here feel they have a specific purpose beyond the normal raise a family preach the gospel, not that those are not important but maybe soemthing you don't here about everyday? You don' need to say what it is.

Guest Alana

Short answer: nature.

Long answer: I take a lot of 'meaning' from the earth each day. Everyday I look at the redwood trees outside my house and think of how neat they are. When I notice and think about the way the pollen swirls around on my deck and how there are different kinds of clouds, how many shades of green there are, what the insides of the mole that the cat is eating etc, it helps me feel very connected to the things around me.

I suppose nature helps me feel significant (interpret as meaningful?) because even small little bugs are so cool and complex. When I'm in the city, I tend to feel very lonely, like just one more person... but focusing on the way the earth works and such it helps me see my place in it and helps my mind open up to other thoughts.

And of course family!

I had no problem coming up with this answer. The Church!! I had a messed up life but the day the missionaries came it was like Knights in shining armour upon white steeds!! I have hope and know that, no life is not meaningless and has a very specific purpose. I know I am a new convert and probably sound zealous. But , I pray I never lose this sense of knowing...

Most of you gave answers of Earthly things. It's time to let go. Jesus gives my life meaning. Only by Him do I have eternal life.

Hi Jim,

I agree that the answers have all been "Earthly things" as you said. I'd also agree that yes Jesus gives my life meaning. I'd add though, that Jesus gives ALL things ultimate meaning. It is because of Him that we are sustained. I get it. I'd love to talk to you more about your statements in your post above to see if you are giving the childhood sunday school answer of "Jesus" no matter what the question. I did not mean that as a put down but actually as a real question to your response. It seems to me that it is not possible to divorce our earthly life, thoughts, feelings and actions from becoming more Christ-like in our behavior. Through out actions we can create meaning. That is what I was asking for in this thread. Like I said, I'd be happy to talk to you more about this Sir. Nice to meet you Jim. :)

Obviously my family gives me the most meaning. Besides that, there are so many things. The warmth of the rising sun in the morning on my way to work to the beauty of the stars at night and everything in between. It seems that people are always on the go and never stop to appreciate all the natural beauty in the world, whether you believe in God or not, it is difficult not to be in awe.