VT quandary

Seanette

I just got a new VT route (hadn't had one yet in this ward), and the two sisters I drew do not have phone numbers in the stake directory or on the route info. I do have addresses.

I have qualms about marching up to a stranger's front door without being able to call ahead, not knowing her schedule (she could work nights and be asleep when I show up or some such), so would a friendly card or letter be appropriate? Does anyone have any better ideas? (Never had this difficulty before)

Did you try looking up the number in the white pages/online? Sometimes the ward directories aren't kept up to date.

Also, ask if the missionaries can go to the house and get that info (I'm assuming these are inactive people). You might want to check with the RS presidency/VT coordinator first--sometimes they know people in the ward who know these people and may have info on them.

Try sending a card with your info and ask for them to contact you (email or phone). Find an outgoing sister (if your comp isn't) who will go with you/for you and approach the house. I have no problems going to someone's house and making contact--if I lived closer I'd do it.

Speaking as someone who works the night shift I wouldn't be offended if I got a knock on the door from my new VTs (which actually happened with my current VTs), I'd be thrilled to know they made the effort. Sure the sleepy sisters might be a bit grumpy but I say go for it!

Fist of all, a card or short note, is appropriate: "I am your new home teacher, My phone number is.... Please contact me when itis convenient for you to have us visit, with a message from God." or some such.

BUT...When someone hands me a job to do with inadequate information to do the job, I give it right back. The person who gave you this assignment (probably the counselor in the RS Presy) should have checked with the Bishop or clerk for a phone number.

The recipient should have asked the RS Pres for a contact method, or some council (background, like is hard to get in to see, part member family, etc.)

If all of that is not forthcoming, then the note, followed by a short accompanied visit (with your companion and a priest hood holder) will suffice to put them on notice to expect your visits monthly.

Good luck

The person who gave you this assignment (probably the counselor in the RS Presy) should have checked with the Bishop or clerk for a phone number.

Relief Society Visiting Teaching lists and generated and printed using information in the Church's MLS system. If the Bishop or Ward Clerk has a phone number for someone, it's in the MLS system. If there's no phone number, it's not their (or the Relief Society President's) fault.

To the OP:

It's probably safe to say that the sisters assigned to you are less active. With limited contact information, I wouldn't be surprised if they are even "Do Not Contact" sisters, and may have been accidentally assigned. If that is that case, it would be a major faux pas to contact them. I would talk to your Relief Society President, confirm your new assignees, and ask her what she knows about them. You might also try to find out who her previous visiting teachers were.

According to the Church Handbook of Instructions, each sister should ideally be visited in her home monthly. When circumstances don't allow that, an in-home visit should be made at least quarterly. A note or phone call can suffice during the "off" months.

After consulting with the Relief Society President, I would start by sending a card or letter to the sisters, perhaps including a quote or scripture from that month's Visiting Teaching message. Include your phone number, and ask the sister to contact you, because you would love to meet her. If you don't hear from her, just keep doing the same thing each month.

Here is some more information that might be helpful to you: What You Wanted to Know about Visiting Teaching

I just got a new VT route (hadn't had one yet in this ward), and the two sisters I drew do not have phone numbers in the stake directory or on the route info. I do have addresses.

I have qualms about marching up to a stranger's front door without being able to call ahead, not knowing her schedule (she could work nights and be asleep when I show up or some such), so would a friendly card or letter be appropriate? Does anyone have any better ideas? (Never had this difficulty before)

Lucky you have a route. They will not give one to my wife after moving into a new ward area noting my position in the church at that time. ^_^

I don't have the nerve to drop in on people unannounced. I've worked graveyard in the past, DH currently works swing, so I'm maybe overly sensitive to the possibility I'd be waking someone up or otherwise there at a bad time (assuming they're home to begin with).

I sent greeting cards with my contact info and the VT message for this month. I'll have to try to find more info about these sisters for next month.

• 1 month later...

I am a very new RS-2nd counselor; we just finished revamping the visiting teaching route. I have two sisters to visit with a companion, and another one for 1-on-1 that I don't have an address for (just a phone number). It is good to know we are not the only ones with spotty info!

Seanette, how have the visits gone?