Car salesmen

Misshalfway

Why is it that seemingly every car salesman is a jerk?

I am just wondering. Is it something in the job description; "Must be a sexist pig to apply."

We just bought a new car after having spent the last few weeks shopping around and I think I have had my fill of salesman and all the shmooz! I told my kids that they were not allowed to grow up and become a car salesman, because the second they did it would turn them into jerk.

I perhaps may have been overreacting.... but just maybe.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate being pressured. I tell people upfront when I know they work for commission...You pressure me I walk...no matter how good the deal might be.

While I find sales people who work for commissin of any kind rather overbearing...I sometimes have to remind myself that this is how they earn their living. I used to work next door to a used car lot and got to know the guys quite well. They all had families and would talk about how they had to always set aside money in case they had a bad month. It's pressure on them to earn a living as well.

While I find sales people who work for commissin of any kind rather overbearing...I sometimes have to remind myself that this is how they earn their living. I used to work next door to a used car lot and got to know the guys quite well. They all had families and would talk about how they had to always set aside money in case they had a bad month. It's pressure on them to earn a living as well.

Exactly. It's a feast or famine buisness and I tend to think it's much more famine in today's economy.

I couldn't take the pressure of being in the buisness, unless I was retired -- I the stress would be much less.

When you have mouths to feed, the pressure is on big-time.

Although I understand people's impression of car salesmen, I guess I have been lucky for the most part, but then I usually let them know they will have much more luck with me if they do not hound me.

Palerider? Any thoughts on this my man? :lol:

I have been a car salesman and a Service manager at a car dealership. I am now a service advisor at a RV Dealership. I have been called everything from a jerk to names I cannot put here on t his site. I just smile and go on.

I have been asked how I could serve as a Bishop and work as a car salesman.....I always stated...I have a current Temple Recommend and can answer all questions correctly.

If anyone is ever looking to buy a car I would be happy to help you in anyway I can...send me a message and I will give some tips.

Good salespeople....professional salespeople are a real pleasure. They have the entrepreneurial spirit and are often experts in their fields. Everyone works for a "commission"....some however are willing to take the risk of earning a little for the opportunity to earn a lot. Services and goods are always "sold". I have met some cars "sales" people that make you cringe....tactless boobs. On the other hand I had a client that sold BMW and Mercedes in Atlanta and earned $400,000 per year during the 90's and he was a different breed of sales person. At some point the good sales people in all sales fields learn that putting the client/customer/prospect first and looking after their needs wants and desires translates into long term relationships that profits both the buyer and the seller.

I have been in sales for over 30 years. It is not the product that is the problem it is the way sales people work. All my sales have been commission work over these years. I find out what peoples needs and wants are and then fill those needs or wants.

Most car sales people are not that way.

I have spent weeks, hour after hour, honing my sales skills to make sure I listen to what the buyer wants and make sure the investment is appropriate to meet their needs and wants.

Sales is and can be an honorable profession.

Do realize that nothing that is available to you would be available if someone didn't sell someone something.

Ben Raines

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. However, I think it's a bit unfair to lump a particular type of salesperson or a particular type of sales into a category. There are good and bad in all areas.

I've had good salespeople and bad salespeople. I've been a salesperson for cars and for tires.

Car sales is a tough gig. You spend hours sitting around doing very little, work 6 days a week, all for a few hundred dollars on a sale. The best month I ever had, I was the top sales rep for the dealership, and still barely had enough to pay the bills.

Now, when I go car shopping, I educate myself about the model I'm looking at before I go look at it. This way, I don't take the salesperson at their word.I find that most, not all, car salespeople don't really know what they are selling, or want to put you into the special of the week.

Personally I love car shopping. It's like a dance that happens between the sales rep and the customer.

My advice, go in knowing what you want and tell the sales rep exactly what you want and need. Listen to his/her suggestions, test drive a few models, and shop around. We've been looking for a "new" car for a couple of months now and have driven 2 cars. We are going this weekend to drive a few more, but it will still be a week or so until we pull the trigger, unless we find the perfect car for us.

Good Luck!!!! and have fun.

When I was on my mission, I went tracting with a couple "Travelling AP's," "Training Elders" or whatnot. Heck I don't remember what they were called. Their purpose was to train others to tract. I did see merit in much of what they did, especially their positive attitude towards success, and tendency to take advantage of opportunity in a way that was fundamentally more involved. Every opportunity they could, they used as an opportunity to find people to teach. The 2 days I went tracting with them was in many ways, was far more productive. I saw so much merit in it.

However, there was a more negative aspect they had in their technique: They also tended to come across as (the way i put it then, vacuum cleaner salesmen). Although they tended to find a lot of people, I felt uneasy about their brash technique, which seemed often plain rude. I recognize there is great wisdom in being firm and unafraid, unapologetic and bold in one's teaching of the gospel, but I also found wisdom in the counsel spoken here:

12 "Use boldness, but not overbearance..."

Alma 38

The fact is that those who are unafraid to preach the gospel often are much more productive. The problem is those who allow themselves to be overbearing will not be trusted.

I bring this up because they reminded me so much of salesmen, one in particular embarrassed himself twice in front of me by taking things too far, to the point it was easy for me to call him on it, which I did. (not good when you're sitting at home with your family relaxing and all the sudden there's a mormon missionary at your house sticking his foot in the door and quoting "a bible, a bible, we already have a bible" scripture, or a nice old lady who had an lds friend once, who's invited you into her home, but now she's kicking you out because you can't seem to stop condemning people. The finding elders seemed to believe in those "techniques." The problem was, they work on too natural of a level, and not enough by the Spirit. I asked the mission president what he felt about it, and he agreed it was good to be bold, but they were in the wrong to be so brash in their teaching.

I realize the Spirit is not necessarily something you're trying to bring in when you're selling a car, but I do believe there is room for building trust in a consumer, having them establish a long term relationship with a company. Especially to help the customer to feel they're getting a good deal. For myself, if I ever come across a salesman who's techniques are shady, the product seems shadier to me because of it, and I often find myself walking the other way.

Edit: I think the best way to go in is educated and prepared. When you know more about what you are looking for in a car (or any item) on a technical level, a personal level, and the financial level, vs. what kind of deals you can get elsewhere than the salesman does, you will have control over the "frame" in the sales relationship. Some may feel, well then you don't need a salesman to help you then do you? And to that I respond, I don't find it wise to do my research on an expensive item using only a sales person as reference. No offense to the salesmen here, but that's how I do it, and it works. Props to BenRaines on his efforts. In my opinion, that is the sort of salesman I would expect to find standing in front of a quality product.

Edited by MikeUpton

I don't trust any sales people. If I want to buy something and don't know much about it, I google everything I don't understand before I go shopping. I will not take a sales persons word for anything without clarification from an unbiased source.

I've never had chance to have an issue with car salesmen, however telemarketers is a different story. While it's not a marketing tactic I would do personally, I accept that the people who do it are doing it to make a living. This does not excuse the lies a lot of them come up with in order to get put through to the person who can authorise sales in the first place ("he asked me to call back today", "he is expecting my call", "it's a personal call", "don't worry I'm not selling anything") and does not excuse them ignoring you when you say you aren't interested in their services and then carrying on trying to sell it to you.

The reason I always research any product I don't fully understand before I go out to buy it is not just because I believe salesmen will twist the truth, but also because they often genuinely don't know the product they are trying to sell very well (which is quite understandable for some of them, they are often only given the basic information about the product) and will make an answer up in order to prevent their embarassment.

Oh and the other thing... no salesman has ever made a sale out of me by approaching me first... if I want something, I will go to them. If they approach me without any indication I actually want their services, I will not look into their company again. I just don't trust people who do that.

Edited by Mahone

When I purchase say, computer parts, I will never use a salesman. Instead, I do all my research online, especially at Tom's Hardware Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews (for benchmark performances)

and Newegg Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! (for user reviews,)

along with Pricewatch, PRICEWATCH :: Price Comparison Shopping Tool - Find the lowest prices on computers, parts, electronics, clothing and more before you buy for price comparison,

(although I often simply end up buying from newegg, since they're reputable and often the cheapest, or very close to it.)

Likewise with other things, I find salesmen helpful for the human aspect (geek talk in the case of computers and whatnot) but otherwise I avoid them whenever I can, and shop independent of them.

Edit: I hope I don't get in trouble for "advertising" but hopefully those who read this post can see that was never the point I was trying to make.

Edited by MikeUpton

I've bought all my cars within the past 15 years from the same dealership from the same car salesman - except the last car since he already retired.

He is one awesome salesman, that guy. I miss him. Before he retired he recommended me to a colleague of his working in the same dealership and he is my "new" salesman now.

That's how my life is - I find one person I can trust and I stick with him/her. I have a person I go to for my appliance repair, one for my house repairs, one for my car repairs, even a specific guy to fix my automatic garage opener, etc.

Mike, I have found that TigerDirect usually has better pricing than Newegg

perhaps so. if there's better pricing elsewhere, more power to you :)

I put together the computer I am using about a couple months ago using parts ordered on newegg, 2.6 Intel Core 2 Duo, Asus socket 775 motherboard, 4 gigs Corsair XMS 2 Ram, Seagate 320 gig hard disk. It costed about $250, all the parts had a top user rating. I supplied the case, power supply, monitor myself. I don't need intensive graphics on this, so i use the onboard geforce 7050. (I can still play half life 2 if i wanted, but i dont want or need to for now.)

I dual boot Windows 7 RC1 and Ubuntu Linux.

My old construction boss (and good friend) is now happily running a nice newegg system I built for him (or rather I showed him how to put it all together, and he did it himself) a month ago, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 gigs RAM, Gigabyte Motherboard, 250 gig hard disk, 500 watt thermaltake psu, nvidia geforce 9800 gtx, and a pretty thermaltake black widow/soprano case (which we got later from best buy), all parts from newegg had a top rating, the system came to around roughly $7-800 total (including case). Oh, and he's using the Windows 7 RC1, hehe.

Edited by MikeUpton
bad spilling

Why is it that seemingly every car salesman is a jerk?

I am just wondering. Is it something in the job description; "Must be a sexist pig to apply."

We just bought a new car after having spent the last few weeks shopping around and I think I have had my fill of salesman and all the shmooz! I told my kids that they were not allowed to grow up and become a car salesman, because the second they did it would turn them into jerk.

I perhaps may have been overreacting.... but just maybe.

I feel the same way you do about car salesmen/women. Even the thought of having to go car shopping puts me into a migraine!!:mad: I let my husband do all the shopping, comparing, talking with the salesperson. He googles it, yahoo's it, researches it to the nth degree. I pipe up with what color I prefer, and if the car is for me, then I want to see the interior -all the gauges, bells and whistles. I also bring along my grocery totes (plastic tubs w/lids that I put my bags of groceries in) to make sure they fit in the trunk and back seat.

If the car is for me to drive primarily, I have husband test drive it first- to make sure he is comfortable in the drivers seat: tummy isn't crowding the steering wheel, plenty of knee room, the seat goes back far enough, etc.

Then I test drive it. I want all of the controls within my reach. I also want to be able to see out of ALL windows and mirrors. Yes, believe it or not, I use ALL of the mirrors when I drive, plus I look out the back window and side windows as well. I also use my turn signals properly. The turn signal is not for you to use to keep rhythm with your favorite songs on the radio!

At one dealership I went into on my own, I was approached by a salesman who was really polite, low key, non-pushy. I told him how much money I had to spend on the down payment and how much I could spend on monthly payments. Told him I was working on my second year of legal separation, and had no credit of my own.

He showed my about three used vehicles that were within my price bracket. I test drove them, then said I wanted my mechanic to look at them.

When I got home, I looked in my Stake Membership Directory, and there was his name. He was a member of the Church. I just knew there was a reason he was Lighting up my radar. My senses were screaming: Trust him Trust him.

I ended up getting a van for $1,200. My mechanic (who was also my HT for the last 15 years, loaned me the difference and I paid cash for it.) Had that van until new hubby and I traded it in on a new vehicle shortly after we were married. I went to Portland OR to the Temple once a month, and up to Seattle every 2 months for 3 years.

Then I test drive it. I want all of the controls within my reach. I also want to be able to see out of ALL windows and mirrors. Yes, believe it or not, I use ALL of the mirrors when I drive, plus I look out the back window and side windows as well.

Naturally.

Posted Image

Mike, both systems sound great. I'm running an intel mobo, core 2 duo 3.0ghz, 4 gigs corsair ram, twin 160g hd, onboard HD graphics, xp pro. i spent about 400 for everything except hard drives...already had them. I use one drive for files i don't want to lose and the other for xp. this is my second full rebuild. first was my wife's HP, which gave me confidence to do my own completely.

I sold cars last summer. I tried to be the nice car salesman. No pressure. Super at ease. People don't buy from those. I was continually shocked to find that they bought from another salesman at a different dealership who was super pushy. They even regretted it and apologized to me. The reality is that most people buy from the pushy jerks, and therefore they are the main guys who stay in the business.

-a-train