When you Denigrate Other Religious Traditions

Moksha

Hidden

Don't you hate when those tall trees parade around. It's very annoying.

I have several tall trees that parade around my house and during a bad thunderstorm it is very annoying:eek:

You, know, I have been told several times, what Jesus told Joseph Smith was a very big "put down" to them.

That they were all wrong, that he should join none of them.

Hummmmmmmmm

Oh, well:cool:

Bro. Rudick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you hate when those tall trees parade around. It's very annoying.

I have several tall trees that parade around my house and during a bad thunderstorm it is very annoying:eek:

You, know, I have been told several times, what Jesus told Joseph Smith was a very big "put down" to them.

That they were all wrong, that he should join none of them.

Hummmmmmmmm

Oh, well:cool:

Bro. Rudick

Personally I do not think all these things would come close to the impact that a society (though corrupt in doctrine they were) of good Samaritans as spoken of by Jesus in his parable. The fasting Levite and the praying 5 times a day priest just does not cut it – even in the eyes of G-d – when compassion for those in need is difficult to see. The example is what the world needs – not another sermon or another expert in scriptures. Or dare I say it - another person pronouncing themselves saved.

Wow - I just noticed the last 3 numbers for my total posts - perhaps I should not have ever posted this. :hmmm:

The Traveler

IMHO the dichotamy between outward spiritual discplines (feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the infirmed and imprisoned) and the inward ones (prayer, meditation, fasting) is a false one. Ideally the two should compliment and empower each other. That a few may excel in a particular religious work--and yet be hypocrites--does nothing to devalue the practice itself.

I read this quote a few days ago by Ray Agostini, that I thought was tremendously wise:

• "When you denigrate other religious traditions, you denigrate your own religion."
What are your thoughts about this statement?

:)

My thoughts are that it is a stupid statement - rather akin to saying: When you call somebody else bald with bad breath, you are really calling yourself bald with bad breath.

.... Noooo, you are calling somebody else that.

My thoughts are that it is a stupid statement - rather akin to saying: When you call somebody else bald with bad breath, you are really calling yourself bald with bad breath.

Nobody will ever accuse you of being an anti-anti-Mormon! :P

ALL QUESTION - What happens in a day when the Spirit instructs you to speak unto a group priests or priestess of the world, they are wrong and to seek the only true living GOD?

Crucifixion? Charges of heresy? Condemnation. Isolation. Jesus did this. So did Joseph Smith, Jim Jones, and Rev. Sun Myun Moon. So, who's the Messiah, who's heard from God, and who really is a heretic? Well, the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Quran all agree that whoever seeks after God with a sincere heart will find him.

Exactly...it will come again when we least expect it, GOD and the Savior will call forth great men [namely High Priests], having their salvation made sure, and then send them forth into the world and preach the last words to the world before their own destruction. I highly doubt the world will allow or even accept them - let alone the church. Yes! Only the true penitent will find the light...let us "not" dabble with seeking the world's acceptance [PR] but focus on following GODs will.

Crucifixion? Charges of heresy? Condemnation. Isolation. Jesus did this. So did Joseph Smith, Jim Jones, and Rev. Sun Myun Moon. So, who's the Messiah, who's heard from God, and who really is a heretic? Well, the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Quran all agree that whoever seeks after God with a sincere heart will find him.

It is my impression that this is an over simplification. There are two reasons that G-d calls a prophet. The first is to “gather” those of the covenant. The second is to warn the rest of their impending doom or lack of divine protection before an enemy that seeks to destroy.

The oversimplification is that only someone of the covenant that seeks will have a guarantee of finding and then what they receive is according to the covenant. But those that seek without a covenant – it will be to their folly. (See Isaiah 28)

7 ¶ But athey also have berred through cwine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the dprophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

8 For all tables are full of vomit and afilthiness, so that there is no place clean.

9 Whom shall he teach aknowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are bweaned from the cmilk, and drawn from the breasts.

10 For precept must be upon precept, aprecept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

13 But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, aprecept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and bfall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

14 ¶ Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.

15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing ascourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our brefuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:

16 ¶ Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a afoundation a bstone, a tried stone, a precious ccorner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.

18 ¶ And ayour covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

19 From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report.

20 For the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it.

21 For the Lord shall rise up as in amount Perazim, he shall be wroth as in the valley of bGibeon, that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his cstrange act.

22 Now therefore be ye not mockers, lest your bands be made strong: for I have heard from the Lord God of hosts a aconsumption, even determined upon the whole earth.

Please note that when Jesus and other reference eyes that see and ears that hear; that it is in specific reference not only to a covenant but being loyal to the covenant. It was believed at the time of Jesus that blindness and deafness was a direct result of disloyalty to covenant. The mistake was that in reference to G-d blindness and deafness is spiritual and not physical.

The Traveler

Traveler, I'd suggest that those who seek after God with a sincere heart will be led to the very covenant you speak of. And, if they are sincere, they will come under it.

Agreed – if the blessings are not realized in this life then they will be in the resurrection (which is in part why LDS build temples). The point I believe is important to understand concerning covenant is the trial through which (like Job) one’s loyalty is given every opportunity to grow and be manifested – even through the valley of darkest evil. It is the purpose and destiny of life as a fallen mortal.

The Traveler

Traveler, I'd suggest that those who seek after God with a sincere heart will be led to the very covenant you speak of. And, if they are sincere, they will come under it.

And as the Book of Mormon teaches, they will receive the amount they are willing and ready to receive (Alma 29:8). It isn't an "all or nothing" issue, but an issue of degrees.

However, your own signature line, There is nothing more pathetic than the anti anti-mormon, would tend to disagree with that and if you simplify the equation to just an anti attitude, we may find it is equally pathetic.

I think the idea of not denigrating others is closely linked to the Golden Rule.*

*No, not the one that says "he who has the gold makes the rules" - you know, that other Golden Rule.

;)

this is all so true and I will tell you what as an investigator this is a huge turn off for me. I was attending regularly and a new convert in my Gospel class was always bashing catholics which is where I came from I actually stopped going for a few weeks till i realized that whole church is true and perfect people not so much! people should really watch what comes out of thier mouths and it looks so hypocritical when one guy is saying this stuff and people are laughing and at the same time they are telling you to bring your truths and let us add to them

Yes I agree with the quote. I've always thought that it shows a lot more about the character of the person bashing other religions than about the religion itself. I think you can disagree with the teachings of a religion without resorting to personal attacks.

However, your own signature line, There is nothing more pathetic than the anti anti-mormon, would tend to disagree with that and if you simplify the equation to just an anti attitude, we may find it is equally pathetic.

I think the idea of not denigrating others is closely linked to the Golden Rule.*

*No, not the one that says "he who has the gold makes the rules" - you know, that other Golden Rule.

;)

Not denigrating others may be in keeping with the Golden Rule but that's not what the OP's quoted author said. That author said that when you belittle other faiths, you belittle your own.

That's simply dumb and untrue.

You may be violating the Golden Rule. You may be a bad example, you may be factually wrong or rude or whatever, but you are not belittling your own religion, you are belittling something else. Do people (the author) even read what they write?

Snow, it could be that the denigrating could occur by the act itself running contrary to how the denigrating adherent of that religion should be behaving, relative to their own religion. For instance, should Christians of any stripe be throwing stones at others? Probably not.