The Connection Between Mormonism and The Boy Scouts of America?

I was quite an active boy scout before going away to school, I even achieved the rank of Eagle. In all that time, I never knew how active a part Mormonism played in the BSA. I was wondering if someone could explain the precise relationship between the LDS Church and the BSA. Thanks in advance!

bytor and BenRaines can probably offer more insight than I, but I will offer what I can.

First, the purpose of Scouting is, in a nutshell, to develop boys into leaders of men. All of the advancement, activities, merit badges, and skills are secondary to a boy learning to be a leader. However, the advancements, activities, merit badges, and skills are what create an atmosphere in which leadership can be taught. These things, combined with an active outdoor program, put boys in an element where they can teach each other, lead each other, and depend on each other with (hopefully) minimal adult intervention.

Scouting really is an amazing program that is well suited to the development of boys into men. It espouses principles that the Church can relate to. And since the Church has a vested interest in developing new leaders, Scouting makes a very good fit. Having teamed up with Scouting, the Church is able to utilize a program for which the infrastructure and support already exists. There are numerous benefits to the Church that come from using an already established program in terms of time, resources, and economics.

So, the connection between the Church and the BSA is that they have very similar values and goals.

The Scout uniform is the working uniform of the Aaronic Priesthood.

No offense, but this forum needs a "Laughed out loud" button. Considering LDS membership is greater outside the U.S. than within and that the Boy Scouts of America is a U.S. institution, does this mean that the majority of Aaronic Priesthood holders fall short?

The Boy Scouts of America is a profit-based organization. The LDS Church utilizes the scouting program as a vehicle to achieve certain objectives, but by no means should one come to the conclusion that there is anything more with regards to the BSA organization itself. Sadly, the Eagle Scout award has become an idol for many.

Please don't get me wrong -- scouting can and will produce worthwhile results in some. We just need to keep its purpose in perspective.

No offense, but this forum needs a "Laughed out loud" button. Considering LDS membership is greater outside the U.S. than within and that the Boy Scouts of America is a U.S. institution, does this mean that the majority of Aaronic Priesthood holders fall short?

The Boy Scouts of America is a profit-based organization. The LDS Church utilizes the scouting program as a vehicle to achieve certain objectives, but by no means should one come to the conclusion that there is anything more with regards to the BSA organization itself. Sadly, the Eagle Scout award has become an idol for many.

Please don't get me wrong -- scouting can and will produce worthwhile results in some. We just need to keep its purpose in perspective.

There was a time that the quote I made was taken from an old Aaronic Priesthood Handbook....from time to time some of the General Authorities speak about Scouting and its purpose......you can laugh out loud all you want.....

LDS.org - Liahona Article - Fulfilling Our Duty to God

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Aaronic Priesthood—a Gift from God

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Upward Reach

As of December 31, 2007, the BSA's membership report by chartered organization indicated that approximately 62 percent of units are sponsored by religious institutions. The Boy Scout annual report indicates that the largest number of Boy Scouts come from LDS sponsored units. 13%of all total scouts

Membership in the Boy Scouts of America is decreasing every year.

Not at all. It means that in the US, the Scouting program is the official activity arm of the Aaronic Priesthood. In other countries, regional leaders determine what the program should be. In countries with a strong scouting program, scouting will be adopted. In countries where no such program is available, other avenues are pursued.

References to Scouting are numerous in the Church Handbook of Instructions. Stake and ward leaders are charged to take the program quite seriously and I imagine the Church would love to see the international movement grow enough that the program could be adopted in other countries as well.

The Boy Scouts of America is a profit-based organization.

I'd like to see your jusification for that claim.

The LDS Church utilizes the scouting program as a vehicle to achieve certain objectives, but by no means should one come to the conclusion that there is anything more with regards to the BSA organization itself.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But my experiences have been radically different. Scouting, in my opinion, is a far superior to the Church's Duty to God program.

Sadly, the Eagle Scout award has become an idol for many.

This I won't contest, and I hope that more people will begin to see the Eagle Scout award as a badge of honor and not a rite of passage (much in the same way we need to view missionary service).

It's purpose is to train boys to become leaders of men. What more perspective do you want?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Believer_1829

I was quite an active boy scout before going away to school, I even achieved the rank of Eagle. In all that time, I never knew how active a part Mormonism played in the BSA. I was wondering if someone could explain the precise relationship between the LDS Church and the BSA. Thanks in advance!

I think the precise relationship is the LDS church feels the BSA is an excellent organization that teaches good social and survival skills that the boys could benefit from especially in these days.

I have been involved in Scouting since I was 8 years old. Was not LDS until I was 16. Earned my Eagle Rank with the help of dedicated scout leaders. My parents were busy working six days a week and supported me but were not able to be of much assistance. At 23 I was a Scoutmaster. Later a unit organizer, recruiter, District Commissioner, etc. Have been a Scoutmaster several times and currently serve as an Assistant Scoutmaster.

I have never made a dime as a Scouter. I have spent thousands to be involved in Scouting.

Boy Scouts of America is a non-profit organization. True there are people that make a living working for BSA. I at one time considered being a professional scouter. There was no money to be made doing it. Would be at poverty level.

Scouting is not about the leaders, the volunteers it is about the boys. Teaching themto be leaders, to love the outdoors, to respect others and nature.

Parents are the ones who make Eagle Scout rank an idol. "You can't have a drivers license until you are Eagle". "You can't date until you are Eagle" Etc. Etc.

I work with young men who are building confidence, leadership skills, outdoor skills, potential career skills or knowledge and understanding.

Recently and for years it has been said "Scouting is the activity arm of the Aaronic Priesthood".

For those of you who do not know Scouting was created and organized by Lord Baden Powell in the United Kingdom. BSA was modeled after their program. Scouting is worldwide and not just a United States program.

Ben Raines

I always find it funny how when people try to claim that a certain profession makes a ton of money, they use the CEO as an example. By the way, $250K for the head honcho of a company is not a lot. My company had an interim CEO that worked for 9 months until he sold the company, and then got a $4 million golden parachute. I smell sour grapes.

We aren't talking about a company. We're talking about a non-profit, funded to no small degree by donations that a) were solicited by people who were told it was their priesthood duty to solicit said donations; b) were donated by people who frequently (erroneously) thought that the funds would go directly to the local troop; and c) were a precondition for the troop's receiving certain benefits that non-LDS troops receive with no strings attached.

By the way, the article states that people doing equivalent work for other organizations (Girl Scouts, Boys & Girls Club), make about half as much; and from anecdotal experience I understand this to be true of 4-H as well.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

We aren't talking about a company. We're talking about a non-profit, funded to no small degree by donations that a) were solicited by people who were told it was their priesthood duty to solicit said donations; b) were donated by people who frequently (erroneously) thought that the funds would go directly to the local troop, and were not informed that THE SAME ORGANIZATION already receives over a hundred dollars per boy per year in registration fees; and c) were a precondition for the troop's receiving certain benefits that non-LDS troops receive with no strings attached.

By the way, the article states that people doing equivalent work for other organizations (Girl Scouts, Boys & Girls Club), make about half as much; and from anecdotal experience I understand this to be true of 4-H as well.

Priesthood duty to donate? Hmm... I must have missed that question in my temple interview. :huh:

I have a question concerning Scouting financing and the church.

Does the Scoutmaster and Cubmaster put together an activity plan and then prepare an annual budget accordingly at the beginning of the year similiar to the other organizations of the ward.

If so, who do they submit their activity plan and/or budget requirements to the Bishopric or the Scout Committee for approval.

Just for the sake of discussion, what if the Scoutmaster has a lot of expensive activities planned, who tells him (Bishopric or Scout Committee) that his plan is too expensive or needs some rework.

What I am trying to understand is the relationship between the Scouting Program, The Bishopric, and a good functioning scout committee?

Guest Believer_1829

I am astonished that there are people complaining about the Boy Scouts. Maybe we should shut it down and sign them all up with the FHA (Future Homos of America). :rainfro:

***Should that be FALMA (Future Alternative Lifestyle Males of America)? I sure wouldn't want to offend anyone :disenchanted: ***

Edited by Believer_1829

I have a question concerning Scouting financing and the church.

Does the Scoutmaster and Cubmaster put together an activity plan and then prepare an annual budget accordingly at the beginning of the year similiar to the other organizations of the ward.

If so, who do they submit their activity plan and/or budget requirements to the Bishopric or the Scout Committee for approval.

Just for the sake of discussion, what if the Scoutmaster has a lot of expensive activities planned, who tells him (Bishopric or Scout Committee) that his plan is too expensive or needs some rework.

What I am trying to understand is the relationship between the Scouting Program, The Bishopric, and a good functioning scout committee?

In the units I have been associated with, all scouting funds were earmarked and distributed out of the ward budget by the bishopric. Every unit's bishop generally has their own formula or priority system on how money is raised and distributed to the various auxilliaries. I have seen incidents where the scouts would hold a fundraiser and the bishop would raid that fund to send YW to girl's camp, I have seen bishops forbid any outside fundraising and allot the scouts/YM a certain amount. Sometimes they will earmark YM funds specifically for scouts, sometimes the scouts operate under the umbrella of the YM.

I put this same comment on the deseret news website Just_A_Guy linked to...

I thought the BSA was basically all volunteers- this article puts a damper on on that for me. I'm trying to accept the notion that it's worth paying the big bucks to get the best of the best scout executives, but I just can't get myself to believe that.

I feel that there are many who would gladly volunteer to fulfill those duties who would have those needed skills, and would still put all their heart and soul into it, even though they're not being paid the big bucks for it.

Am I wrong? Is it really that important to get the best of the best when it comes to certain skills, even though those best of the best executives might be there in large part because of the money instead of being in it for the boys?

Guest Believer_1829

Do you people realize BSA is a huge worldwide organization? Just because somebody accepts money for something doesn't mean they are only in it "for the money", they have to eat and provide for their families also.

Do you people realize BSA is a huge worldwide organization? Just because somebody accepts money for something doesn't mean they are only in it "for the money", they have to eat and provide for their families also.

True, but I think salaries upwards of 200k must have an influence in at least some cases, don't you think?

About 70-80 percent of Boy Scout funding is from the church. It was the same for the Girls Scout until the notable changes where the church withdrew and now what is left is not much to talk about. ^_^

Guest Believer_1829

True, but I think salaries upwards of 200k must have an influence in at least some cases, don't you think?

Perhaps for some. But who am I to sit here and presume motives to men I know nothing about and have never met? What value is there in even speculating about those men?

About 70-80 percent of Boy Scout funding is from the church. It was the same for the Girls Scout until the notable changes where the church withdrew and now what is left is not much to talk about. ^_^

What is your source for the claim that the LDS Church ever had a formal affiliation with the Girl Scouts? My mother (61 this year) remembers no such activities when she was growing up.

Perhaps for some. But who am I to sit here and presume motives to men I know nothing about and have never met? What value is there in even speculating about those men?

The issue isn't that the men are or aren't decent guys with sincere motives. The issue is that the BSA is continually whining about budget shortfalls, selling off to real estate developers properties that were donated to the boys (like the old Camp 49er in California some years back), and raising the financial burden on its members with increasing fees and materials costs at its Scout Offices--all the while maintaining an overpaid bureaucracy whose primary objective (from the round table meetings I've been to) is to justify its own existence. Then they have the unmitigated gall to ask me for a couple hundred bucks on the pretense that it's "for the kids", while conveniently omitting the fact that those kids all belong to the local council executives.

Edited by Just_A_Guy