What does it mean????

pooter1

What does it mean when someone bears their testimony and says "The gospel works in my life" I hear this all the time. What is suppose to work? Ive been a member all my life.I have a wonderful husband and we have raised our children in the church. We go to church every sunday.Have done all the callings we were asked to do.Pay full tithe,Go to the temple. Our lives have fallen apart. My oldest son denies there is a god.Has cursed god. Does not go to church anymore. My husband has tried and tried to get a better job and can't find one. I lost my job a couple of weeks ago. I got injured and had to go to the hospital with no insurance. We have now been takin to the credit bureau.Because we have been taken to the credit bureau no bank will give us a loan for my son to go to college. {that is why he was cursing god} We make to much money for fafsa to help us.This is just the latest that has happened to us.We have been though things like this all our life. Does anyone believe in curses?I do. So How does the gospel work? Im serious about this im so confused.

They mean that upon applying the principles taught in the gospel they feel the benefit and blessings from having done so. Does this mean life will be peaches and cream? Nope.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

The world would teach us peace is the absence of conflict or trial, the Lord would have us understand that peace is knowing and trusting in him even while amidst the conflict and trial.

that is why he was cursing god

No, that's the excuse he's using to justify cursing God. If he's cursing God there are other factors at play than you not being able to take out a loan for him.

Push come to shove all he has to do is wait until he is (IIRC) 23 or so when his eligibility for loans is not tied into your income. I do know there are mechanisms in place for being declared independent before this time if one is estranged from ones parents and can demonstrate they won't be aiding you in any way, don't know if this can be extended to parents who aren't estranged but won't be aiding you. He can drop by the school and speak with a councilor and see what options are available to him, he could just work and go to school part time until such time as he's able to arrange aid to facilitate going to school full time, or work full time and school full time but my understanding is that such is a rough road. I don't know his particular situation in details, but there are decent chances he can get the ball rolling even if its slowly and at a local Community College (check to make sure those credits will transfer, though if all he wants is an AA or AS that might not be an issue) instead of the University of his choice.

What does it mean when someone bears their testimony and says "The gospel works in my life" I hear this all the time. What is suppose to work? Ive been a member all my life.I have a wonderful husband and we have raised our children in the church. We go to church every sunday.Have done all the callings we were asked to do.Pay full tithe,Go to the temple. Our lives have fallen apart. My oldest son denies there is a god.Has cursed god. Does not go to church anymore. My husband has tried and tried to get a better job and can't find one. I lost my job a couple of weeks ago. I got injured and had to go to the hospital with no insurance. We have now been takin to the credit bureau.Because we have been taken to the credit bureau no bank will give us a loan for my son to go to college. {that is why he was cursing god} We make to much money for fafsa to help us.This is just the latest that has happened to us.We have been though things like this all our life. Does anyone believe in curses?I do. So How does the gospel work? Im serious about this im so confused.

Remember, all us have to go through the fires of tribulation eventually before receiving rewards from the Godhead – the highest order of the Celestial Kingdom.

Even I have received annual trials and give thanked to my FATHER for them. It only brings humility and a greater love for my Heavenly Parents as we suffer through them. Take a good look at Job trials. Or look at the trials of the Savior. Then look at the trials of Joseph Smith. All of them suffered at the hands of the world and was allowed by GOD for wiser purpose.

Even if we loose our worldly possession, does it really matter? No! Our greatest gift is the gift of eternal life. There is nothing in this world is yours unless you are a member of the Church of First Born.

How do we earn this eternal life in the highest order of the Celestial Kingdom? By doing the will of GOD, surrendering our lives to GOD, and meet those affliction with gratitude. If I could part anything here, I will attest, many in the church will not inherit the highest order of the Celestial Kingdom, even if they pay tithing, are temple active, do church callings, and attend Sacrament meetings every Sunday. They may still lack something in their lives. Remember when the Lord was approached by a rich man who stated all of this by keeping all commandments of GOD? What was the Lord reply to him? He still lacketh something in his life even after doing all that is required. This is where he failed – he still wore the symbol of the Golden Calf., which protrudes from his body [Metaphoric].

Many in the church still wear this symbol of Hebrew called the Golden Calf [Old Testament]. Worshiping GOD on one hand but not completely giving up their lives unto HIM. Again, when we finally achieve this state of surrendering our lives to GOD fully, we need to obtain the last covenant from the Holy Ghost, ensuring our calling and election is made sure stated by Peter and Joseph Smith. Unless one has received this, no member of this church will be allowed in the highest order even after accomplishing everything else. You will find a pattern of those lives who obtained this calling - this only comes through the trials of tribulation, following the will of GOD, and finally surrendering our lives to HIM.

Now, put away the sharpness of thy words. Teach thy children the words of the Savior of necessity of tribulation and be a comfort to thy husband

May the GOD bless you and hold you through these trials….

Edited by Hemidakota

In the household of faith we should be at full liberty to praise God for rich blessings ("I'm thankful for the job promotion I got this week!"), while mourning with those who mourn ("I lost my job this week!")--all in the same service. Believers should not have to hesitate to share good news for fear of inciting jealousy or bitterneess in those who have bad news. ""The gospel works in my life?" It means when he blesses me it truly is for good, not that bad is around the corner. It also means that when storms buffet, He is my shelter.

Sister, below is the answers to your question. Keep your eye on the prize.

D & C 58

2 For verily I say unto you, blessed is he that keepeth my commandments, whether in life or in death; and he that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven.

3 Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.

4 For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand.

2 Nephi 31:

16 And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved.

17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.

18 And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.

19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

If I just had a little break in between the trials and tribulations then I feel I could take a breathe and get a hold of somthing and hang on.It is a daily thing for my family,unbelievable things that happen to us nonstop. If I told you everything that happens to us you would shake your head and say"All that does not happen to that family"

pooter1 What you said about testimony meetings and things peolpe say to try promote faith in those around them doens't always work. Most, if not all, don't understand the message there sending. Testmonies about how someone payed there tithing were blessed often only cause pain and frustration to those who pay and never seem to get a head, or testimonies on how living the word of wisdom has blessed them with good health and some else in the ward is sitting there thinking I live the word of wisdom and I have cancer. These are tough questions to those of us who all our lives have been taught live the gospel and be blessed, with kids and young adults it can be even worse because they don't have the life experience to draw on to get them thru. I know anything I say may not be helpful, so I prayed to or Heavenly Father that what say will not bother you or offend you. When I have this happen in my life I try to ask the questions.

If I just had a little break in between the trials and tribulations then I feel I could take a breathe and get a hold of somthing and hang on.It is a daily thing for my family,unbelievable things that happen to us nonstop. If I told you everything that happens to us you would shake your head and say"All that does not happen to that family"

Same goes here, if I told you everything, you will be shock....Again, you are not alone in these trials. You need to bear them and ask the Savior for support.

You are not alone in your non-stop trials. I remember someone very wise once told me that we will never have a break from our trials and tribulations until the day we are embraced by Jesus and our Heavenly Father. Meaning that during this life, each day, each minute, each second is a trial and tribulations; further, every single person has different trials and tribulations and no two are alike. I would never want the trials and tribulations that I know others are going through.

Take for example: My parents have been blessed by paying their tithing. They have never had a time when the money wasn't there for bills after paying tithing - including when they were first married. Now they still have enough to help my brother and his wife, my sister (who is single), and my husband and me with bills, food, etc. without running out of money. On the other hand, my husband and I are full tithe payers, but we never have enough money for bills after paying tithing - we are in constant monthly need of monitory help from my parents. Yet we get blessings in other ways - even though my husband has diabetes, he has never had any complications arise from it - almost as if he didn't have diabetes. Our daughter and I have had great health despite our weight problems (I'm dangerously close to 200lbs and our daughter is 130lbs). So us paying tithing is giving us blessings with our health while my parents paying tithing is giving them blessings with money.

The point I'm trying to make is that even by doing what we know is right, everyone gets blessed in different ways and we have to look at how ourselves are being blessed by doing what is right and not compare ourselves to others.

I love this poem and it always helps me through what seems the trials that seems hardest for me to handle (like that 3 weeks with no power and 1 of those weeks also no running water last September when Hurricane Ike hit our area):

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.

Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.

Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,

other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed

that during the low periods of my life,

when I was suffering from

anguish, sorrow or defeat,

I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,

"You promised me Lord,

that if I followed you,

you would walk with me always.

But I have noticed that during

the most trying periods of my life

there have only been one

set of footprints in the sand.

Why, when I needed you most,

you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,

"The times when you have

seen only one set of footprints in the sand,

is when I carried you."

By: Mary Stevenson

Sister, below is the answers to your question. Keep your eye on the prize.

D & C 58

2 For verily I say unto you, blessed is he that keepeth my commandments, whether in life or in death; and he that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven.

3 Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.

4 For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand.

2 Nephi 31:

16 And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved.

17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.

18 And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.

19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

I totally agree with everything here. I have been through a great deal as well, probably not as much as it sounds your family is going through. I am sorry about your son, that must be really hard. I really hope that things get better and that somehow everyone comes out of it stronger.

Who knows maybe the call to Build Zion (New Jerusalem) is right around the corner, and in a few more years after that it's the millennium. Finances and School will be pretty pointless at that point.

www.angelpalmoni.com

What does it mean when someone bears their testimony and says "The gospel works in my life"

It means that they are trying to make their words sound puffed up and more important by adding "in my life"

... or, they are clarifying that the gospel works in their own personal life instead of in the life of someone else whom they've never met... but I think it's the former.

Hi Pooter.

Gospel "working in ones life" does not = "everything always goes well for us". God's blessings include times of trial and extending periods of suffering so that He can show His hand.. so that he can stretch us and refine us and expand us! If everything were peachy all the time, why would we think we needed God? Where would the depth and breadth to our testimonies be forged? We are here on life to gain experience. All kinds of experience. And the gospel works as we recognize how God is woven into the details of our lives. Counting blessings doesn't mean racking up all the easy things that just dropped out of the sky cause we were good boys and girls and did our duty. Counting blessings means "and should we die before our journey's through, happy day all is well."

Yes. Sometimes trials come in spaids and sometimes the last a long time. Nephi and Lehi spent 8 years on the shores of the Red Sea before the boat ever showed up. No promised land. No land of Bountiful! The people of Jared spent a whole year in a pod! A POD! No sunshine...no where to stretch their legs even. Talk about conversations getting old.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. I DO understand long, painful trials that tax you to the very ends of your capacities and you look to heaven and ask why and wonder if God has forsaken you.

And I do understand the desire for a break. And you know, you can take breaks. Go to the temple. Spend time thinking and dwelling on non-stressful things. So your son is questioning God right now. Hand the responsibility for solving this to him! and set yoursel f free. It isn't something you can change anyway. I loved PC's words. Let God be your shelter and trust that all these circumstances don't change God's workings in your heart and mind and perspective.

may I suggest reading D&C 122:6-10

If thou art aaccused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to bprison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like cwolves for the blood of the lamb;

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the apit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the bdeep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to chedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of dhell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee eexperience, and shall be for thy good.

8 The aSon of Man hath bdescended below them all. Art thou greater than he?