Garments

Lstinthwrld

we make private/personal covenants in the temple that effect everything else we do. the garments are simply a physical expression and individual reminder of that covenant. underclothes are private/personal yet they impact everything else in your life.. just like our covenants. we are not the first to use an article of clothing as a reminder/expression of a covenant, it's a fairly common practice.

Do only LDS wear undergarments? I thought that most people did other than Californians. I thought that Californians were the only ones who go commando.

Ben Raines

The only reason I'm commando as I type is because I haven't been endowed yet. I assure you that once I am (sooon!) no more commando for me. You may now sigh a sigh of relief.:wacko: Is that a Californian thing? lol

Church Ensign articles that may aid you beside what is already given -

The Temple Garment: “An Outward Expression of an Inward Commitment”

in Carlos E. Asay, Ensign, 1997, Aug.

... had learned from experience that how one wears the garment is the expression of how the individual feels about the Church and ... consideration. It is the special underclothing known as the temple garment, or garment of the holy priesthood, worn by members ...

Prepare for Blessings of the Temple

in Russell M. Nelson, Ensign, 2002, Mar.

..., providing for the continuity of the family.” 28 The blessings of the temple become most meaningful when our loved ones ... do we demonstrate to the Lord by faithfully wearing the temple garment as instructed? 4. What are some of the blessings of ...

Personal Preparation for Temple Blessings

in Russell M. Nelson, Ensign, 2001, May

... witness weddings do not wear tuxedos. Wearing the temple garment has deep symbolic significance. It represents ...keep them thereafter is the challenge of mortality.” 40 Ordinances of the temple relate to personal progress and to the redemption of ...

To Clothe a Temple

in John S. Tanner, Ensign, 1992, Aug.

...? Does it properly cover my nakedness? (Here, the temple garments might serve as a guide to the Lord’s standards.) —... the heart; it’s the result of truly believing that the body is the temple of the spirit. The same holds true for adults, who may be...

The Doctrine of Temple Work

in David E. Sorensen, Ensign, 2003, Oct.

... example might be the difference between attending the temple as an ordinance worker versus as a patron. When working ... wearing of the garment. It is appropriate to think of the garment as part of the temple, as a reminder of the covenants made in the house...

Oil in Our Lamps

in Lynn G. Robbins, Ensign, 2007, June

... His celestial home either, the one being symbolic of the other. The Wedding Garment In symbolism that could parallel that of the oil in the parable of the ten ...:7–8 ; emphasis added). In our day, the temple garment is clothing we always wear as a ...

Why Symbols?

in , Ensign, 2007, Feb.

...4 “There is [a] special underclothing known as the temple garment, or garment of the holy priesthood, worn by members of... Lord.” 15 A Sanctuary of Service “Inside the temple the world is left behind with its clamor and ...

Do only LDS wear undergarments? I thought that most people did other than Californians. I thought that Californians were the only ones who go commando.

Ben Raines

Ben Ben Ben

To me it is a symbol of the first clothes that God gave to man after he discovered his nakedness. We not only wear clothes to hide our nakedness.. but to protect us from the elements. As some religions wear their "garments" on the outside of their clothes.. for others to see.. we wear ours under our clothes and next to our bodies.

We symbolize these as special and sacred and part of a covenant that we personally make with God and are thankful he gave them to us to wear and protect us.... as clothing of various kinds protect the human in some way. Coats protect from the cold, hazmat suits protect from airborne contaminates, helmets protect the head, mittens protect the hands, shoes protect the feet. etc. The garments that we choose to wear can protect spiritually... as well as physically.

In the movie “Kingdom of G-d” Saladin said something that I think is interesting and applies here. When asked about the importance of Jerusalem he answered that there was nothing of importance. Then he said that it was “everything”. Outwardly the there is no importance to the temple garment – inwardly it is all important.

The Traveler

Just tossing in my say...

The garments have several purposes, and they can represent many things to many people within the LDS Church. However, understanding some things about the garments also helps understanding with regards to the temple, and vice versa.

The Temple is the most sacred place on earth in the eyes of the LDS Church. It is the place we can go to approach God as nearly as possible. It is the place we can go to perform ordinances for our relatives that didn't have the opportunity during their lives to accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is a place of peace and solitude in an often busy and troubling world. It is a place of learning and furthering of our faith and knowledge of God.

The garments can be viewed as something of a portable extension of the temple. After all, we must follow certain standards to enter the temple in the first place, and we are expected to maintain them after we go through the ordinances for ourselves. As we do so, we can maintain, within our own lives, the spirit and peace that can be found in the temple.

As earlier stated, the garments are also an effective reminder of the covenants we have made to God in the temple (one of which is to forbear discussing the ordinances in detail out of respect for the sacredness of them). The ordinances, and the covenants we make with them are based upon biblical doctrines that Jesus taught during his ministry, as well as doctrines that are found in the Old Testament.

The garments also serve as a guideline for our standard of dress/behavior. Often times we are reminded that a valid question we could ask ourselves is "will this clothing expose my garments?" or "Should I be doing this if I am worthy to wear the garments?" These two were taught to me by my parents, and have been very effective. As a result, I have more often remembered what I learned in the temple, and have gained spiritual and moral strength from the experience.

Finally, it should be remembered that while the temples, and all that is associated with them, are sacred to LDS members, they are hardly secret. Any new member can be interviewed for a temple recommend after one year of active membership in the church. Indeed, the whole point of the structure of the LDS Church is to get as many worthy people to the temple as often as possible.

Rather than treating the temples as 'sacred country clubs' as I've heard them referred to as, the LDS Church regards them as the entire point and purpose of membership in the first place. We want as many people to know of these things for themselves as possible, but it must be done according to Christ's standards, and Christ's rules. After all, it's his church in the first place.

How do you handle garmets with atheltic performance? Do you have to wear atheltic clothes that cover the garments? I often run in tank tops, especially in 90 + degree heat like we've been having. Would I have to wear something like a long sleeve top or shirt sleeves to cover the garment? What about swimming?

I'm not trying to be funny, but I am curious. It's an interesting thread.

How do you handle garmets with atheltic performance? Do you have to wear atheltic clothes that cover the garments? I often run in tank tops, especially in 90 + degree heat like we've been having. Would I have to wear something like a long sleeve top or shirt sleeves to cover the garment? What about swimming?

No, exercise and swimming you can remove them - and with several other activites as well. It's just a case of using common sense really. Where is it feasible to wear it, you wear it.

how each person handles when they do and don't wear the garment is up to them. some ppl do not wear their garments for athletic activities or very hard manual labor (they choose to wear more appropriate supportive underclothes). some choose to wear workout clothes that do cover the garment. the garments can be covered by approxmate knee length shorts and a standard t-shirt so no need to wear long sleeve tops to cover them. when we do go without the garments we are still encouraged to wear modest clothes. it's a personal choice between the person and god. swimming is one of the obvious ones where most do not wear the garments (if they do wear the garments they are swimming in shorts and a t-shirt not a swimsuit). we are encouraged to wear a modest swimsuit.