Large Bodies of Water

Jamie123

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies - I suspected this was probably some obscure piece of doctrine which was being taken out of context.

isn't wonderful that nonmembers so often tell us what we believe?

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to tell you guys what you believe - I was just interested to hear your comments about this rather strange idea I remember hearing.

I remember reading somewhere (unless I dreamed it - which is possible) that Mormons are afraid of large bodies of water (lakes, oceans, large rivers) because they believe that is where the Devil lives. Is there any truth in this?

You mean larger than the Pacific Ocean where I am my four kids swim regularly?

Either I'm not Mormon or you must mean larger bodies of water.

Jamie...i wasn't referring to your comment. just to something that happens all the time.

Thanks miztrniceguy - I didn't really think that. I just wanted to clarify where I was coming from. I know there are a lot of strawmen of Mormonism, just as there are of most other belief systems.

Elohel gave the scriptural reference that was the basis for the folkloric belief that Satan had control of the waters. This was not an obscure belief in the early Church.

In fact, both my grandparents, and great grandparents, would always keep a part of their garments on while taking a bath. They believed if they didn't do that, Satan would invade their bodies and bring all kinds of disease down upon them.

I also remember that when I was a child and had heard about Satan/water, I was very afraid of taking my bath. So I started takikng a shower so I wouldn't have to sit in the water.

I still can't stand baths to this day. :P

Elphaba

Oh, yeah?

I can name any number of BYU QBs who made it big in the NFL. I can name any number of BYU track and field guys who made it to the Olympics, but I can't name a SINGLE BYU Olympic swimmer.

Just a coincidence?:D

Ron Menezes, 1984 LA Olympics.

There, now you can name one!

The most memorable variation: Missionaries are not allowed on beaches because Satan will take control of their minds and make them drown themselves.

)

I think missionaries are not allowed at the beach more because of 'Satan took control of my mind and made me rub the sun block on the hot girl in a bikini....'

Elohel gave the scriptural reference that was the basis for the folkloric belief that Satan had control of the waters. This was not an obscure belief in the early Church.

In fact, both my grandparents, and great grandparents, would always keep a part of their garments on while taking a bath. They believed if they didn't do that, Satan would invade their bodies and bring all kinds of disease down upon them.

I also remember that when I was a child and had heard about Satan/water, I was very afraid of taking my bath. So I started takikng a shower so I wouldn't have to sit in the water.

I still can't stand baths to this day. :P

Elphaba

Wow. Just, wow.

You know, sometimes I wonder if different family experiences and beliefs might have made me the atheist and Elphaba the struggling Saint. It's comforting to think that we believe what we believe because we choose to believe it, but I suspect that's not really the whole story.

(And that's not to suggest that Elphaba is an atheist because her grandparents bathed in their underwear...)

Interestingly, my father told me I will get appendicitis if I move around while/immediately after eating. I didn't realize that was a bunch of baloney until I was about 21 years old. Come to find out, he just said that so that we will sit down for meals with the family. Well, it worked.

Interestingly, my father told me I will get appendicitis if I move around while/immediately after eating. I didn't realize that was a bunch of baloney until I was about 21 years old. Come to find out, he just said that so that we will sit down for meals with the family. Well, it worked.

There is a lesson in there somewhere:)

Hi, Jamie.

I remember reading somewhere (unless I dreamed it - which is possible) that Mormons are afraid of large bodies of water (lakes, oceans, large rivers) because they believe that is where the Devil lives. Is there any truth in this?

I've actually heard the thing about the devil controlling the waters before, but it was never all that widespread in my experience. I personally like the water.

However, when I was a teenager, a Mexican co-worker told me that the Devil touches the water after midnight, and that it was thus a bad idea for me to take a shower when I went home that night. Does anybody know if this is a typical belief in the Catholic church?

Hmmmmm, that's the exact same reason my wife gave for not wanting me to go to the beach alone.

That was just to keep you from putting that speedo on and publically humiliating yourself. She only had your best interest in mind.