Falling into a funk

Saturnfulcrum

I experience that from time to time; it's usually the signal my subconscious sends to my brain to tell me that I'm slipping into a depressive cycle again. I have mild depression, and it comes and goes, but that "not good enough" feeling is always there when I'm in a tailspin. If you've never looked into it before and it's a recurring thing, you may want to visit with your physician to see if there's something more to it.

Lots of people get in a funk, especially when the days are the shortest as well as holiday stress. For many people, being laid off or worrying about the possibility of a lay off has caused major stress. Depression isn't always caused by Satan, as it is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, and many people have a genetic predisposition for that chemical imbalance in the brain. It's similar to those who are insulin-dependent diabetic.

eeyup, for about a year now. Most of it was probably due to the fact that I was slowly working my way to going on a mission. Satan's one mean fellow.

I don't think one can prevent it entirely. But the worse of it was abated when I started taking actions to prepare for a mission more seriously (or whatever else one feel inadequate for). For that, PS' advice fit perfectly. The other points would come when I was about to make a decision or step that brought me irrevocably closer to my goal. At these points there was nothing i could litterally do to completely shut those thoughts entirely out. For those moments I prayed, remembered that even if I didn't think I could do it God did, and walked with faith. When the deed was done or I'd finally made the step, the Spirit would give me the assurance yet again that I was on the right path.

Short answer: When you're bogged down, find time to be with God. When you feel like you can't do something (especially something that you know God desires you to do), keep going...He'll show you that you can.

With luv,

BD

By recognizing that it's a tool of Satan. Reacquaint yourself with the Doctrine of your relationship with God and you'll likely find a change of heart.

Hmmm, depression as a tool of Satan? Under this assumption, besides reacquainting ourselves with Doctrine, could we also use some holy anti-depressants?

I don't mean to be dismissive of the spiritual aspect of feeling the blues, but a consultation with Saturnfulcrum's physician might be an excellent idea to explore a physical causation as well.

:)

I don't think the guy has depression. I mean he might, but simply one symptom is not enough to place in consideration for having depression. If that one thing is coupled with other problems like lack of interest, other negative emotions/thoughts, or physical symptoms like weight fluctuation, problems eating, sleeping, or even things like blackouts and dizzyness for an extended period of time (like over a month or 2) then that may be the problem. And even if he does, anti-depressants aren't always the answer either. When the depression is manageable, it can even be better to simply learn techniques to help maintain the depression.

That said, counselors aren't bad to have work out negative emotions. Had one for a little while when I was at my worse with issues of worrying and stress (that inadequacy was definitely apart of). It's not a bad idea, especially if it seriously becomes very detrimental to ones quality of living.

With luv,

BD

I notice that I have seasonal affective disorder when winter comes around.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a form of depression that appears at the same time each year. With seasonal affective disorder, a person typically has symptoms of depression and unexplained fatigue as winter approaches and daylight hours become shorter. When spring returns and days become longer again, people with seasonal affective disorder experience relief from their symptoms, returning to their usual mood and energy level.

One can buy a light therapy box to reduce their bad symptoms.

Lol I am a girl btw...

But I have looked at the symptoms of depression, and the only one that I seem to have is the 'feeling down', but even then, like I said, it'll go away for a few days. It usually hits when I'm alone (mostly at night), but when I'm with others I am genuinely happy.

Thanks for the advice guys :). I have looked at going to a councilor just to see if depression is a possibility, but like I said, it goes away for a few days. so who knows. Thanks for your comments :)

It sounds like you probably don't have depression then, but just have "down" days here and there. While you probably don't need to see a counselor in that case, it still helps to have someone to talk to who will just listen without trying to fix or judge. I also find that writing is cathartic.

I notice that I have seasonal affective disorder when winter comes around.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a form of depression that appears at the same time each year. With seasonal affective disorder, a person typically has symptoms of depression and unexplained fatigue as winter approaches and daylight hours become shorter. When spring returns and days become longer again, people with seasonal affective disorder experience relief from their symptoms, returning to their usual mood and energy level.

One can buy a light therapy box to reduce their bad symptoms.

I notice this in myself as well. I notice a difference in my attitude and mood depending on the season.

It takes rewiring the brain to be happier. This is done by a consistent effort to change one's thinking to gratitude and happiness. It does not happen overnight, but over time gets easier and easier.

Some things that can help rewire the brain:

1. Daily write in a Happiness/Gratitude Journal, at least 5 things you are grateful for or make you happy.

2. Have a list of songs you know that tend to make you feel happy/good. When you fall into a slump, begin singing them until you feel better. As Brigham Young once said, "if you don't feel like praying, pray until you feel like praying." Same goes with happiness.

3. Carry around index cards with inspiring thoughts on them. Read one per hour, or more often as needed.

4. Read several books on happiness. They will give you other great ideas on how to reduce the funks, and increase the happiness factor.

One more thing:

Take LOTS of Vitamin D. Especially in winter. Your body when in the summer sun can absorb tens of thousands of International Units in a day. Vitamin D helps the immune system and with our happiness level. During winter, we don't get enough. Many doctors now say we should take 1000-2000 IUs of Vitamin D during winter.

I have a severe shortage of Vitamin D, and the doctor has me on 50,000 IU twice a week. So, that should give you an idea of what levels one can potentially take.....

Yeah....I was just gonna add the same sentiment as Ryan. While it's always good to consider the physiological aspects, maybe it would help to consider some of your deeper assumptions about yourself. Maybe it would be helpful to not only examine the triggers and their patterns but then to analyize what is underneath the negative thoughts are actually being awakened. If you change those or discover how you made those decisions about yourself, maybe the pattern would improve. I know that sometimes needing exterior validation is sometimes a trap for people. It's a trick and a triumph to learn to give such validation to oneself independent of performance or outcomes.

You aren't alone. Keep searching for tools that work whether its a vitamin or a deliberate change in thought.

I don't think I have "Seasonal Affective Disorder". I think mine is called "hates driving in snow disorder".

I recommend the following book. The first link I found was at Deseret Book but I know Seagull Book carries it too. DeseretBook.com - Where Can I Turn for Peace

This really helped when I was going through my divorce. It has some really good points.