Make up question

beefche

I need some advice on mascara. I have tried many brands of mascara (from cheapo ones to expensive ones) and they all smear. I have to constantly wipe under my eyes to remove the smudges. I have even tried waterproof mascara. I thought that perhaps it was not my mascara, but rather my eyeliner. But when I don't put eyeliner on my bottom lid, I still have the smudges. As another factor, I have sensitive eyes, so some mascara (not all I've used) may cause eye irritation.

Has anyone encountered this? Any suggestions?

And no, not wearing makeup is not an option. I don't wear much, but I like wearing it and will continue to do so even if I look like a raccoon.

grrr...i have that same problem no matter what I use too! something that helps a little is putting a little bit of powder (I use mineral veil from bare esccentials) right under your eye...it sort of acts as of a buffer and keeps your eyeliner/mascara where it should be.

Eww mascara. Have you tried using a lighter color? Maybe a lighter formula? Yeah you probably tried all of that. I hate the stuff and refuse to use it unless I forget I hate it, then I remember all over again :P Makes me feel like I have goop on my lashes. I'm staring at my 'wash-off waterproof' Avon tube..it was the least offensive of the bunch lol. Good Luck!

lost, I use powder and apply some under the eye (over my concealer). I really am at a loss (pun intended).

tali, I've tried a lighter color, but I think I look better in black. Even so, the lighter color did the same thing--I was just a lighter colored raccoon.

Does this happen to all women? Maybe I'm not as unique as I thought I was. If it does happen to you, when does it happen in the day? Within an hour? In the afternoon? In the evening? I find that within a couple of hours, I have smudges.

I used to have extremely oily skin. It's not as oily, but still I consider that I have an oily complexion. I know that it's worse in the summer, so I imagine that my oily complexion is a contributor.

They do make mascara that is labeled not only waterproof, but also budge-proof or smudge-proof. I found a particular variety years ago that I liked, but by the time I needed a second tube, it had been discontinued. It was a Mary Kay product, though, and they do have other mascaras still. I would recommend moving away from drug store varieties and toward "real" brands, like Mary Kay or MAC.

They do make mascara that is labeled not only waterproof, but also budge-proof or smudge-proof. I found a particular variety years ago that I liked, but by the time I needed a second tube, it had been discontinued. It was a Mary Kay product, though, and they do have other mascaras still. I would recommend moving away from drug store varieties and toward "real" brands, like Mary Kay or MAC.

I agree with, Wingnut.

I use Mary Kay and would recommend it. Their mineral makeup and eyeliner/mascara is light and odorless. MK is also quite affordable as well.

You can try this one Sephora: Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Mascara: Mascara

Here's the review that caught my eye

this mascara is no joke. it gives great length and volume! i love it, am on my 3rd tube. however I only gave it 4 stars simply because it is so hard to get off and its not even waterproof! great while its on...a little on the rough side when its 3 am and u have to take off your mascara but are just too tired to deal! Overall fantastic product though!

I find that Maybelene (don't know if I spelled it right) "Full-n-soft" mascara dries pretty quickly. And it doesn't leave that stiff, brittle feeling. Another good one (the one I use now) is Avon's big "Super Shock" mascara. I find it is very much like the full-n-soft, dries quickly, has great color.

The brushes of both mascaras are VERY detailed and fanned out with billions of little bristles in them. Those tend to keep your lashed separated better, so they can dry faster-- that's key to avoiding clumps and smudges, in addition to finding a brand that dries quickly and completely.

Some brands can feel sticky, like they never dry! I hate those, lol. If anything brushes near your eyes, your lashes get mashed together and stick, lol.

Also, I don't like the brushes with one big spiral, because the big spaces in the sprial tend to group your lashes together, causing clumps and making your lashes stick together. If they're in clumpy groups, they can't dry, and they look terrible.

I apply (a good) mascara it in short quick strokes, then I take one of those eyebrow brushes (the black brisstled end) and fluff up my eye lashes with that. It helps to separate them even more, and it looks more natural. They dry faster too. Never apply more, until after it is completely dried (if you need to). The top lashes can take a few coats if you want, but never put more that one coat on the bottom lashes.

Hope that elps.

Edited by Melissa569

you could do the tattooed on permanent makeup.

i had a friend in high school that used the stuff that comes in the light green containers... get it from the department stores... i think it's called clinique? anyway, we were getting ready to go swimming and she was doing her makeup, mascara and all. we all laughed at her, knew how bad she was going to look once she got wet. she was quite confident all was fine. and it was, not a bit of it washed off, smeared, smudged or anything. lol i was a bit worried how one gets it off if you can swim in it.

personally i avoid mascara, it bothers my contacts.