The Vicissitudes of Service

Snow

Got a call today from the MTC about my son.

That makes ideas race through your head.

Getting up in the morning and out of his upper bunk bed he gets his feet tangled in the sheets and falls out of bed. Broken elbow.

4 years of being a high school athlete and a year in collegiate sports and never had an injury - then he fractures his elbow getting out of bed on his mission.

The nurse called to inform us. He's fine but might need a cast. He was sitting right next to the nurse and we could hear him talk but the nurse said he wasn't allowed to talk directly with us.

I now have to question whether the church is really true??? Oh... the agony.

I'm wondering what your son was saying in the background. "No! Sister Nurse, I did not fall out of bed. You see, I was in mighty prayer when an angel of the Lord came to wrestle with me. Sister Nurse! Quit telling my parents I got my feet tangled in the sheet! While I was wrestling with the angel, my companion tried to intervene. But I knew this was my fight, mine alone to conquer. Sister Nurse! You aren't telling it right....."

I dislocated my elbow once. That's the closest to a broken bone I've ever had. I was roller skating, got bumped, and fell wrong. Of course, if you would have asked the friend I was with at the time, he'd've corrected me and made sure you knew that I was not just roller skating, but rather disco roller skating. He said it as though he were making fun, but he was there, too.

I have never broken a bone so I don't know what kind of pain he is going through, but I'm sure you can help him find a silver lining to this dark cloud.

My experiences, wrist and middle finger, weren't actually all that painful. The stupid cast (splint for the latter) was more annoying then the initial injury.

Having broken 9 bones i can say they hurt an awful lot and i feel for your son. I once broke my foot dancing in my living room so i know how embarrassing injuries like that can be. in 20 years he will have a good story from his mission to tell his kids. but i with an ealier poster, no more top bunks!

Having broken 9 bones i can say they hurt an awful lot and i feel for your son. I once broke my foot dancing in my living room so i know how embarrassing injuries like that can be. in 20 years he will have a good story from his mission to tell his kids. but i with an ealier poster, no more top bunks!

Do you have that dance on video? Could we send it in to Funniest Home Videos, and share the money if we/you win?

Do you have that dance on video? Could we send it in to Funniest Home Videos, and share the money if we/you win?

unfortunaely no, this was 17 years ago when cameras were more rare and not everyone was recording you tube videos of every dumb thing they do at home. it was a lot less funny when it happened!;)