Mormons who swear ALOT outside of church

bcguy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swearing Mormons are the worst kind."

If you are referring to my post where I mentioned the worst kind. I never said swearing Mormons are the worst kind..I said momrons that swear outside of church are the worst kind. I was making fun of the OP's spelling error. So before you judge..read what was posted.

Edited by pam

Somewhere in my little mormon boy upbringing, I was given the mental picture of God hearing every swear word we say and writing it down in a little book. That book would be brought out at the final judgement and used to keep us out of heaven. (I think the lesson went along with repentence being the eraser or something.)

Did anyone else grow up hearing that? Does anyone else explain it that way to kids?

I think we all need to calm the #@%$& down... :D

Posted Image

I'm sorry, I misspelled it. That should be: "I think we all need to calm the #@%$!& down..."

Posted ImagePosted Image

Beefche, I've been meaning to ask you:

Where most people would say "that's a lot of bull", do you say "that's a lot of human"?

Posted Image

Apparently this thread is in the wrong forum.

Do you really need to see it in scripture to realise swearing is wrong. Is necessary to have everything we should do or not do pointed out to us?

However it probably is in scripture somewhere.

I have a hard time believing God judges us on our popular cultures ever changing use of language.

It is mentioned in the scriptures

matt 5 22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Raca is the cuss word. But since Aramaic didn't catch on/ loan it to English i feel pretty safe posting it on this board. The problem is not the word but their use

To call another a name in anger, whether it is lint licker (ala the orbit commercials) or something extra obscene it is the same.

If you (not you specifically) called someone a cuddie queen to insult them it would be worse then me stubbing my toe and letting out a 4 letter word for matting.

I'm willing to bet my salvation on it.;)

(That's not to say i encourage the use of profanity but it is a non scriptural, non covenant, and ever changing social more.

3 Nephi 12:34

But verily, verily, I say unto you, swear not at all; neither by heaven, for it is God's throne.

The cross ref. to that swear not at all part will lead you to the word profanity. So I guess it is scriptural.

Edited by marts1

3 Nephi 12:34

But verily, verily, I say unto you, swear not at all; neither by heaven, for it is God's throne.

The cross ref. to that swear not at all part will lead you to the word profanity. So I guess it is scriptural.

Once again:

He was saying it in the context of making oaths. While we might call a curse word an oath it isn't really (at least not the 'four letter' variety), not in the context of the scripture you are talking about. So unless when you stub your toe something like, "I swear by the throne of Heaven that my bowels shall spill upon the ground as water if I fail to exact revenge upon this vile walkway." pops out, the scripture isn't particularly applicable.

As far as the cross reference to profanity, note the scriptures under the Topical Guide heading, they concern taking the name of the Lord in Vain or blasphemous. I'm not a fan of 'curse words', I avoid them, that said that scripture doesn't have the applicability to the situation that you are applying to it (at least as far as my understanding goes).

Edited by Dravin