The Church mall?

Sali

How much exactly is it costing to build the Mall? I have no problem with it at all I'm asking because on another site I visit someone is bashing the Church saying it is costing $4 billion, whereas I thought it was more like $4 million. Have I corrected them prematurely?

How much exactly is it costing to build the Mall? I have no problem with it at all I'm asking because on another site I visit someone is bashing the Church saying it is costing $4 billion, whereas I thought it was more like $4 million. Have I corrected them prematurely?

Yes you did

City Creek Reserve is spending more than $1 million a day on construction, and the project ultimately will cost around $3 billion, said Chris Redgrave, a KSL executive who also chairs the Salt Lake Chamber's Can-Do Coalition, which is looking for ways to jump-start the downtown economy.

Salt Lake City high rise is ready for occupancy on Main | Deseret News

Not quite 4 billion but much more then 4 million.

The building's developer, Hamilton Partners of the Chicago area,

Hamilton Partners is the owner of the building I work in. Very interesting to see that they are building something in downtown Salt Lake. Makes me want to visit once it is all done and see how Salt Lake City has changed.

I remember as a kid, our ward building rep (who was also my deacon's quorum adviser) telling us that our stake center had cost between 2 and 3 million. And that was in the late eighties.

I doubt four million bucks would even get you a chapel these days. At least, not with one of the standard North American floor plans.

Hamilton Partners is the owner of the building I work in. Very interesting to see that they are building something in downtown Salt Lake. Makes me want to visit once it is all done and see how Salt Lake City has changed.

Just to clarify, Hamilton is involved in 222 South Main, which IIRC is not a Church project.

And let them bash the Church as much as they like. These projects are being paid for out of revenues from the Church's business ventures. Not a dime of tithing is spent on these projects.

Is there a problem with BYU being subsidized by tithing? Part of tithing pays for education which last time I heard..is what BYU is all about.

And let them bash the Church as much as they like. These projects are being paid for out of revenues from the Church's business ventures. Not a dime of tithing is spent on these projects.

Oh I've corrected them on that issue. (I did an okay job with that one :D).

Is there a problem with BYU being subsidized by tithing? Part of tithing pays for education which last time I heard..is what BYU is all about.

Oh, not at all.. not to me at least. I was just talking about 'projects' that the Church runs. Tithing should go towards helping the Church help others.. whether that means business ventures or whatever. In the end.. if it's helping the Church it's helping other people.

Are you saying the revenues are maintained in separate accounts? You could be right, if you have seen the books.

Are you saying the revenues are maintained in separate accounts? You could be right, if you have seen the books.

I'm pretty sure President Hinckley had seen the books when he (repeatedly) made similar assurances to the Church.

Was he right?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

And that lemonade store place that also sells hot dogs.

I can't remember what they're called, but there's just something great about watching them make lemonade.

Actually, I had no idea about this place before this thread. Now I've gone on a tour, I'm a fan: A clean, spacious, mixed-purpose downtown core. I'd buy a condo there.

But that's because I'm one hip Mormon.,