Christian shirts with crosses.?

lizzy12

My friend, Jake, stumbled across a rrly cool site with christian T shirts.

Some have crosses, do u think wearing a shirt with a cross is inappropriate.

such as

Blood Donor 2

but i don't want it to seem i'm taking the atonment lightly.

I kinda like this one...

Son Glasses - Junior Tee

note: all hypothetical...i don't buy things unless there at a thrift store...

oh, and this neckalace..

He Loves Me Neckalce

Edited by lizzy12

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay the crosses in the design are not what make me raise an eyebrow. I'm probably a stick in the mud but I find them a touch sacrilegious.

As far as the cross in general, I'd probably assume someone wearing one wasn't LDS, but I don't get as worked up about them as some folks do. If you want a somewhat decent discussion on the cross and LDS in general I recommend this thread: http://www.lds.net/forums/learn-about-mormon-church/24972-cross-offensive.html

Though it's closed so you won't be able to chime in, but I think a decent spectrum of opinions by both members and non are demonstrated.

Edited by Dravin

What is sacreligious depends very much on culture. Some older folk consider most contemporary Christian music to be such. Some Baptists even consider the very gentle worship genre of music to be evil, suggesting it invites a "New Age trance-like state," that could invite evil spirits.

If someone depicts a cross in a way that c ommunicates the Atonement, and someone finds it too casual, or somehow disrespectful, maybe they are more interested in protecting a symbol and an image, than in proclaiming the Message?

What is sacreligious depends very much on culture. Some older folk consider most contemporary Christian music to be such. Some Baptists even consider the very gentle worship genre of music to be evil, suggesting it invites a "New Age trance-like state," that could invite evil spirits.

If someone depicts a cross in a way that c ommunicates the Atonement, and someone finds it too casual, or somehow disrespectful, maybe they are more interested in protecting a symbol and an image, than in proclaiming the Message?

I believe a certain decorum should be observed when refering to _the_ preminent event (and related subject such as God and Christ) in the history, both written and unwritten, of mankind. So calling Jesus, "Dude" or depicting him as a goalie with thumb up and saying, "He saves!" (I know, you mentioned the cross specifically but as an LDS I'm not particularly attached to the Cross) and finding it on the sacreligous side does not mean all (or most) I care about is protecting a symbol and an image.

That which we treat lightly we esteem lightly. I'm fine in disagreeing over what exactly light treatment is and just what is sacrilegious but to be perfectly blunt I find the implication that I've got my priorities screwed up on the offensive side because I don't feel the depiction of the sacred is open game as long as some doctrine gets thrown into the mix. I'm probably taking this way more personally then you ever dreamed of intending it.

Edited by Dravin

Thanks Dravin. (I always wondered...is this ur real name? Cause thats pretty sweet.)

You say that now just wait until PC gets back and schools me on my oversensitivity. :)

P.S. It's a merger of my name and the name of an animal that I had to come up with on the spot a long time ago for a game.

Edited by Dravin

Personally, I find the tee shirts to be a little "casual" but I wouldn't look down on someone wearing one (in fact, I'd be impressed with their open declaration of faith). If I were younger, I'd totally wear that necklace.

I'm active LDS and my daughter regularly wears a dainty cross necklace because she wants people to know she loves Jesus.

That which we treat lightly we esteem lightly. I'm fine in disagreeing over what exactly light treatment is and just what is sacrilegious but to be perfectly blunt I find the implication that I've got my priorities screwed up on the offensive side because I don't feel the depiction of the sacred is open game as long as some doctrine gets thrown into the mix. I'm probably taking this way more personally then you ever dreamed of intending it.

A battle your church has never faced is the Music Wars. Protestant churches have struggled mightily with the transition from hymns to worship music to, in some cases, Christian Rock or Hip Hop on Sunday morning. Always the older folk speak of decorum and the danger of the church becoming entertainment. On the other side, youth pastors literally weeping over their young people who are being labeled disrespectful, lacking in decorum, and of seeking entertainment rather than worship (often very unfairly).

You remind me that traditionalists are not always (or even usually) just prudish and stubborn, with no concern for missions or upcoming generations. The balance is to understand that those sporting such shirts usually do not intend to be sacreligious, or disrespectul. Rather, they desire to be relevant, and to lift up Jesus in a way that communicates and grabs attention.

I am actually wearing a cross right now. It is really a thin piece of metal with a Russian Orthodox cross stamped into it; it was made hundreds of years ago. I received it as a gift while on my mission in Russia from a man selling matryoshki dolls. He said that he found it in the river Don when the tide was low.

I wear it because it reminds me of my mission, of the strong faith of the people I met there (both members of the church and others), and, of course, of the Savior.

I think this CTR shield/cross of this facebook group is pretty cool.

Mormons Who Glory in the Cross of Christ (Gal. 6:14) | Facebook

I can imagine a few Mormons wearing a t-shirt with this on it. What do you think?

In case you folks are like me and don't like clicking links, this is what their logo looks like:

Posted Image

So what do ya think? Would this be "tacky" on a shirt?

At a conference I spoke at last year in Claremont, Dr. Robert Rees suggested that Mormons could embrace the symbol of the cross, while still maintining their distinctness, by coming up with their own cross (as other denominations have done). He suggested the design a tree in the form of a cross.

Any other ideas?

So far, my favorite idea is the CTR shield above.

Posted Image

He suggested the design a tree in the form of a cross.

Any other ideas?

So far, my favorite idea is the CTR shield above.

Hi Mike, I was wondering if this design would it fly at BYU Education week, or would the student be sent back home?

I do not see why we would need to extend our peculiarity into the form, shape or design of crosses. That said, I have to admit that Celtic crosses seem most appealing to me. If stylization is required to make them acceptable, having them made of translucent plastic for a Jell-O-like effect might do the trick.

:)

Mike:

I find the fact that the facebook group you linked only has one member: Lds Cross, who has done nothing but self-promotion, interesting. Are you Lds Cross and the group's creator? EDIT: I just reviewed your history of posting on this board, and you have only ever self-promoted your own work. I can't help but feel this is another attempt to do so.

I also find it interesting that the only personal information about Lds Cross is that they like the movie "Latter Days" (for those who don't know, it's a 'romance' about a missionary who begins a homosexual relationship with a party boy). You yourself proudly proclaim in your blog that you have lost your faith in the Church.

Putting 2 and 2 together, I'm guessing this group isn't for the truly faithful Latter-day Saint- regardless of their affinity for the cross.

Edited by Matthew0059

Lizzy, I personally don't mind crosses -- I grew up Lutheran and the cross was a prominent symbol of my faith. I rarely wear them now, but there is one necklace that I was given as a gift from my mother that I do wear every now and then, though it is a bit abstract so I suppose in order to really know that it's a cross, you'd have to stare at it for a while. ;)

To me, the cross is just a reminder of Christ and his sacrifice, though some might view it differently. If people get offended because of the way you might choose to express your faith (ie: wearing one of those t-shirts), then... oh well. I tend to let people do what they want with their faith, no matter what church they belong to, and hope that they'll let me appreciate Christ in the way that I want to as well.