It's Been Good

mliff

Actually Mliff is doing the right thing. If he kept his name on the roles, the Lord would hold him accountable as a member. Since he has no testimony and plans on looking at other Churches, then he is doing the right thing IMHO.

There are many good people out there and good Churches too. I often think that it would do some people a lot of good to attend other Churches for a bit to learn about them.

The Lord will hold him accountable to the amount of light and knowledge he possesses. The Lord knows exactly how much that is, but leaving the church doesn't change that. This whole discussion is all an aside though, it's like a Catholic Priest trying to convince a group of LDS about the consequences of leaving the Catholic Church. *shrug*

The only thing mliff really needs to know (about this side tangent) since he's made up his mind that he doesn't believe and that he needs to go a looking is that returning after name removal will be more difficult than coming back from simple inactivity if he changes his mind, so he may want to hold off until such time as he believes he's found the truth.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already made up my mind, I'm calling my bishop and talking to him and having my name removed. If I made a mistake then it's my own fault and no one elses. After leaving the church and find out I did make a mistake, I will do everything I can to come back and work on forgiveness. If I find another church which I believe is true, then I have done the right thing. No one else can change my mind except God. If this has offended anyone I am sorry, but my mind is made up.

I've already made up my mind, I'm calling my bishop and talking to him and having my name removed. If I made a mistake then it's my own fault and no one elses. After leaving the church and find out I did make a mistake, I will do everything I can to come back and work on forgiveness. If I find another church which I believe is true, then I have done the right thing. No one else can change my mind except God. If this has offended anyone I am sorry, but my mind is made up.

Mmmm, Wondering? What “part(s)” of your LDS covenants with G-d do you feel are spiritually damaging and hindering (restricting) your search for enlightened truths?

The Traveler

I just feel inside that by doing this, it will open the way so I can see better. Its really hard to explain I just got a feeling that wont go away inside, that is telling me to do this. I have to find out for myself. So after giving a lot of thought, I decided to finally do it. The sooner I look the sooner I'll find my answer.

I just feel inside that by doing this, it will open the way so I can see better. Its really hard to explain I just got a feeling that wont go away inside, that is telling me to do this. I have to find out for myself. So after giving a lot of thought, I decided to finally do it. The sooner I look the sooner I'll find my answer.

Just wondering - if you had a teenage son that wanted to withdraw from your influences as well as the influences of other family members, for the same or similar easons - How wise would you view his persuit? And what would you say to him?

The Traveler

Excellent, mliff. Hats off to you, and your decision to remain true to yourself. Baptism is a ceremony that marks formal acceptance of belief, and acceptance of a workload. If you do not believe, if you are not willing to accept the workload - then formally undoing that agreement is one way to preserve your personal integrity.

I tell people all the time - the only good reason to be a Mormon, is you've come to understand that God wants you to be one. From where I'm standing, you're starting on a path that will quite probably lead you back here. Walk that path, and remain devoted to truth like you are now, and I figure you'll head back here eventually.

Good luck to you, and God Bless!

LM

I don't have a testimony. When my husband and I approached this, I realized he had a much bigger advantage in that he believed in God. I wasn't raised to believe in God, but to not be so arrogant as to assume he doesn't exist.

I'm working on faith here. I was hoping that getting baptized would set a light bulb off over my head, but it did not. I follow all the rules, do everything as requested, and participate as much as I can.

I wish you the best in your journey!

Excellent, mliff. Hats off to you, and your decision to remain true to yourself. Baptism is a ceremony that marks formal acceptance of belief, and acceptance of a workload. If you do not believe, if you are not willing to accept the workload - then formally undoing that agreement is one way to preserve your personal integrity.

Baptism is a Sacred ordinance in which we enter into a Sacred Covenant with the Lord and in so doing we enter into the strait and narrow gate that leads to Eternal Life. Our sins are washed away and we have taken upon ourselves the Holy name Of Jesus Christ. Shortly thereafter we receive the most precious gift....the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

We should not be encouraging a fellow brother down this path away from the Eternal Light of Truth and into the mist of darkness. We wouldn't encourage him or anyone else to enter into temptations or to walk in paths of unrighteousness. Just MHO.

Just wondering - if you had a teenage son that wanted to withdraw from your influences as well as the influences of other family members, for the same or similar easons - How wise would you view his persuit? And what would you say to him?

The Traveler

"If" I had a teenage son, and he wanted to withdrawl from me and my influences in search of his own, I would encourage him, I would completley support him. The same way my parents supported me in growing up. I wouldnt tell him he's doing something wrong (even if i knew he was) I would let him learn from experience. Honest to God that is what I would do. I can't say anything about other family members since i came from a family that wasn't "close" i dont talk to any of my family members outside of my immediate family. We never have, we never had any family reuinions or nothing. on birthdays youll be lucky if one of my parents would wish me a happy birthday. (im not trying to sound sad or get on anyones emotions) this is just how I was raised. Im not saying I totally agree with it but it has already been and I can't change it. I don't have any kids so I don't know that kind of Love. But all in all I would support him/her in whatever reason they wanted to do.

We should not be encouraging a fellow brother down this path away from the Eternal Light of Truth and into the mist of darkness. We wouldn't encourage him or anyone else to enter into temptations or to walk in paths of unrighteousness. Just MHO.

I usually enjoy your posts, but I've gotta say, not the ones in this thread. His mind is made up, and he's going to proceed to do what he thinks is best for his own spiritual well-being. Nobody is encouraging him since he has already chosen his course of action, but rather wishing him well on his spiritual journey. I understand and maybe even share some of your opinions in this matter, but do you want him to leave the church thinking "man, i'm glad to be away from THOSE people!", or rather "what a loving bunch- they really do care for me and really only want the best for me"? Let's not sour his perspective of the church or its membership after he has already decided upon a course of action.

A friend of mine was involved with a very large church in Pullman, WA- "involved" really isn't the correct word- "consumed" would be a better word. Outside of school, every moment (and dollar- their expected tithing was like 22%) was spent with the church- he even lived with other church members. Eventually he met a girl at the church and got married- since they were both so active, the found that they were spending very little time together.... so they left the church for awhile (we would call what they did going inactive) with the intention of coming back eventually. Since the church was so large, they were constantly encountering church members in their daily lives, and rather than being greeted by comments like "we miss you at church and hope you come back soon!" they received the exact opposite. It went beyond being "shunned"- it became downright hostile. Eventually they were forced to move across the state to get away from it, and never once have I ever heard my friend say "man, I'm thinking of going back to my old church". For this reason I will never try to push doctrine or my viewpoint on someone who is already walking towards the door since IMO it only serves to push them out even faster.

"If" I had a teenage son, and he wanted to withdrawl from me and my influences in search of his own, I would encourage him, I would completley support him. The same way my parents supported me in growing up. I wouldnt tell him he's doing something wrong (even if i knew he was) I would let him learn from experience. Honest to God that is what I would do. I can't say anything about other family members since i came from a family that wasn't "close" i dont talk to any of my family members outside of my immediate family. We never have, we never had any family reuinions or nothing. on birthdays youll be lucky if one of my parents would wish me a happy birthday. (im not trying to sound sad or get on anyones emotions) this is just how I was raised. Im not saying I totally agree with it but it has already been and I can't change it. I don't have any kids so I don't know that kind of Love. But all in all I would support him/her in whatever reason they wanted to do.

Thank you for your response - You do have a different view of things than I do and your family experience is quite different. Stay in touch from time to time. I would be interested in how thing turn out.

The Traveler

Just remember, it's much harder to get back in than it is to get out.

Are you saying the LDS Church will keep coming around again and again and again and ag... He's chosing to walk away for now and going through the channels.

Are you saying the LDS Church will keep coming around again and again and again and ag... He's chosing to walk away for now and going through the channels.

I can't speak to pam's intent, but my understanding of the situation is that once someone's name is removed from the records, the Church doesn't send anyone to visit them.

Having one's name removed is revoking the rights to the gift of the HOLY GHOST that were received during confirmation. It means that that person's name will be blotted out of the book of life. It is much harder to again become worthy to be baptized and receive the saving ordinances after having one's name removed than it is to struggle to overcome our trials of faith while staying within the Church, and having the blessings of the HOLY GHOST'S administrations and the priesthood to strengthen us.

Is it easier to close and lock a door behind us, or to leave it open in preparation for our return? Having one's name removed essentially closes and locks the door behind us, and we can only get through by unlocking said door- that is, being baptized, confirmed, etc. It takes much less energy, time, and pain to simply leave the door open.

I don't mean to be unduly harsh. mliff, I pray that the LORD will smile upon you and grant you the desires of your heart. Most of all, I hope to hear sometime in the future that you've re-entered the Church (or decided not to remove your name).

Why would that be? If someone searches for the truth and comes back, why wouldn't the church accept him?

Because if you asked for your name off of the church records and then want to come back, you have to be rebaptized, and if you are a male, redo all your priesthood ordinations, and if you want to go to the temple, have to wait at least a year after baptism before you can go back to the temple. You would still be welcomed back, but all of those steps take time.

I'm not LDS, but from what I've observed in general is that the more someone pushes their beliefs on someone who was thinking of taking a break from a church, it pushed them farther away to the point where they never wanted to return, when if they were allowed to explore their own spirituality, they might have returned. I also understand that the LDS church has Articles of Faith, with the 11th one applying to this issue.

"11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." I looked this up on lds.org, so it's from the official site.

If people believe in what the LDS church teaches is true, then they would honor this particular article and let someone have their name removed if they feel it's the right thing to do. If someone later decides to return to the LDS church, they will of their own free will. If they decide another church is the true one for them, then that's also within their right.

Edited by ADoyle90815

here's another reason why im taking my name off so i can search myself, I became inactive for a couple years because of my job (Correction Officer in a State Institution) I was working 16 hours every other day. When I was inactive, I had members of the ward Im in calling me, leaving messages on my house and kind of being pushy for me to come back, I wanted to but when you need money to survive on and pay bills and take care of a wife the job kinda becomes important, and I know your supposed to put God first, I always had him first, I read my scriptures daily, I even snuck them into work with me. I even tried explaining to them the reason why i couldnt come to church and most (not all) members there just took it wrong (i guess) and was just being pushy, that almost pushed me away then, this is why im doing what im doing.

Why would that be? If someone searches for the truth and comes back, why wouldn't the church accept him?

Not once did I say the church wouldn't accept him. When you are confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints you receive a very special gift. The Gift of the Holy Ghost. Removing your membership from the Church you also lose this special gift. That still small voice, the comforting blanket so to speak. Satan doesn't want you to rejoin the Church so will use every tactic to keep you from it. Especially those that have had the truth before.

Edited by pam

After talking with members of the church, and getting their responses (and little personal attacks) I have decided im leaving the faith. to me God wouldn't have people trying to belittle you or trying to force you to stay. I know some people believe its true (and i'm happy for them) I just don't see the truth in it (or atleast what I believed was the truth when I started) I wish everyone of you good luck. I just can't stay a member when I don't have the feeling of truth. Like I have said before, I have prayed many times everyday for a while now. Nothing has came of it, no little feeling inside as I used to get, nothing. I know some people will still have something to say and I always appreciate comments or feedback. I'm always willing to listen.

It is a technique how to pray is where most fail in receiving an answer. If you haven't learn this principle, it would not even help you to ask about other churches or searching for it.

There are few posts that explains this simple principle how to gain an answer or how to invoke the Holy Ghost.