Solar Tsunami Tonight?

Melissa569

Saw a report on the news-- the sun just shot off what they call a "solar tsunami" toward earth. It should hit some time tonight. Its an extra burst of the sun's radiation. Our magnetic field protects us from most of the sun's heat. But tonight, because of this flare, we may be able to see Aurora Borialis as far down as mid California, or further. It can turn the whole sky (or part of it) bright red, green, blue, pink, etc. This one also may or may not cause power outages. Hopefully not. Guess we'll know tomorrow, lol.

It happened before, just over a decade ago (happens about every 11 years). I was living in the mountins of northern California with my dad, and I got up to let my dog in at 1:00am-- the ENTIRE sky was bight red! Scared the heck out of me, lol. Until I found out what it was.

The one they are REALLY worried about is the one due to hit in 2012. That one may be able to knock out the electicity all over the entire earth, for 4 to 7 years!! Cars, computers, phones, and even battery operated items wouldn't work in that case. Even satellites would fall out of the sky, and we'd be left with no way to watch for asteroids, weather, or any other solar activiety... Or military stuff. Guess we'll just have to hope that doesn't happen, hm? :unsure:

I watched it on Comcast News on my computer's homepage. They didn't give an exact time of when it would hit earth, they just said "tonight". But other sites might have a more accurate estimate. Since my husband and I are formed to the old "grave shift" lifestyle, I'll probably be up all night anyway.

I live in a city, so that might make it more difficult for me to see with all the city lights. They said it woudl be most visable out in the country, where there is less artificial light influence.

Edited by Melissa569

Saw a report on the news-- the sun just shot off what they call a "solar tsunami" toward earth. It should hit some time tonight. Its an extra burst of the sun's radiation.

It's been a while since my high school astronomy class, but:

* Doesn't "radiation" travel at the speed of light?

* Doesn't it take about 8 minutes for light to get from the sun to the earth?

* Doesn't the stuff we use to look at the sun sit on a mountain, or in earth orbit? (Meaning, by the time we see it, it's happening?)

* If we have a measuring device closer to the sun than earth orbit, doesn't the stuff it tells us also travel at the speed of light? (Meaning, by the time we get the notice, whatever the sun shot at us is here?)

So, what's the link to this 'report'? I'm thinking I'll be able to read it tomorrow at lunch.

LM

Urbanfool--- Awww, you mean I could have missed it??? That bites, I was gonna try to get shots of it with my camera. Lemme check the date on the video, I'll see if its possible to post a link to it. The video says "8/4/2010" but I dont' knwo if that's the date the video was posted, or the date its supposed to hit.... They said jsut lok for it when its dark, and look generally north.

Loudmouth_Mormon -- Don't really know, I keep hearing conflicting opinions about that stuff, regarding how long it takes for solar flares and such to reach the earth... This is the video I saw, its actually described more as "A billion tons of super-heated gas, comming our way a thousand miles a second":

'Solar Tsunami' Hurtles Toward Earth | Featured Videos | Comcast.net

Edited by Melissa569

I went to the cannery this morning, and on the way, we were all comparing the fact that 3 of us had not slept for anything last night. I know that I took an herbal sleeping pill at 10 and then got up and took a regular sleeping pill after midnight, and still ended up laying there awake. Dogs were barking all over the neighborhood. I don't know if it had anything to do with this.

Hey, you never know it could very well have. Come to think of it, my own animals were acting pretty wild last night, chasing each other all over the house and they don't usually do that. And my husband was unusually giddy too. Very noticably so, to the point I looked at him oddly and literally said to him, "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?" lol.

Interesting....

Guest The_Doctor

The one they are REALLY worried about is the one due to hit in 2012. That one may be able to knock out the electicity all over the entire earth, for 4 to 7 years!! Cars, computers, phones, and even battery operated items wouldn't work in that case. Even satellites would fall out of the sky, and we'd be left with no way to watch for asteroids, weather, or any other solar activiety... Or military stuff. Guess we'll just have to hope that doesn't happen, hm? :unsure:

Unfortunately the site where I read this is a magazine's site, so now you have to pay to read so I can't post a link. But when I read about it, the estimate was ten years (for the US) to repair and the first year of repairs would cost about one billion dollars.

Edit: And the issue is if the flare hit the magnetic field because it would convert into electricity that would jump to the power grids of the world. Which aren't designed for that much power and would get fried. The concern isn't other electronics. I don't remember if they mentioned the satelites, but I would assume they wouldn't enjoy being exposed to a flare.

More Editing: Sign in to read: Space storm alert: 90 seconds from catastrophe - space - 23 March 2009 - New Scientist (Just in case someone has an account and wants to read it.)

Major solar storm could cause lasting damage - space - 12 January 2009 - New Scientist (This one doesn't require an account, but it's not as indepth.)

Edited by The_Doctor
Links

Hey, you never know it could very well have. Come to think of it, my own animals were acting pretty wild last night, chasing each other all over the house and they don't usually do that. And my husband was unusually giddy too. Very noticably so, to the point I looked at him oddly and literally said to him, "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?" lol.

Interesting....

You mean I had an opportunity to act way out of character and blame it on solar flares? Drat, I missed my opportunity. :lol:

Moksha, I was prepared. Had my Rhino Chaser on my roof and everything was clean, then I saw it! A SERIOUSLY gnarly and I mean MACKY bomb, all red and sparkly...fell into the fade, did a AWESOME floater for what seemed like 10 minutes, then was forced to do a Turtle/two wave hold down because the wave behind mine was twice the size. I was barely able to hold my breath any longer when finally I popped up in the soup. I was like totally stoked!!! Can't wait till 2012. :P

Note: I have been accused of being a "kook" in the past by fellow surfers who are obviously jealous of my style.

Unfortunately the site where I read this is a magazine's site, so now you have to pay to read so I can't post a link. But when I read about it, the estimate was ten years (for the US) to repair and the first year of repairs would cost about one billion dollars.

We're Americans. As soon as we're inconvenienced (or ticked) we kick into high gear. We'll have that grid replaced the first year.

Just a couple of things. The Solar Tsunami was caused by a plasma ejection. Plasma is a state of matter (not light energy) and does not travel at the speed of light. Plasma from the sun is highly charged, each atom involved in a nuclear fusion (hydrogen fusion) will release an electron. So the sun and particles from the sun are highly charged.

Because the earth has a very strong magnetic field (typical of planets) we are shielded from most of thesun’s highly charged particle radiation. Interestingly the electrons are attracted to the North Pole and create large current flow along the crust, through the earth’s core and some through the atmosphere to the South Pole which also adds to the earth’s magnetic field. In truth the earth is not a true ground but a relative ground for electrical current. The electrons attracted to the North Pole cause what is called the Northern Lights. The release of electrons at the South Pole will also cause lights in the sky but not as dramatic.

Tesla suggested that we use electrical energy from the sun to power our atmosphere and cause the ozone to fluores. This would end night and shadows. Kind of interesting because it may have been a plasma ejection or similar energy from a supernova that caused the 3 days of light in the Americas when Jesus was born which would have been for 2 nights.

The Traveler

As others have said, there's always 2012. And who knows? Maybe a few times between then and now! I mean this one kinda hit us by surprise, we had what? A day's time of warning? lol.

As for possible power outages.... Especially the LDS church is good about "preparedness", so hey, it might be a good idea to brush up on our solar power preparedness, just in case. Here's a video I found on how to build a very simple solar cooker/oven, with regular everyday tin foil products! Good to know. But of course in winter, you would still probably need a fire, lol:

These days, solar panels on the roof tops are actually a fad that lots of people are jumping on. I'm seeing them on family's rooftops all over. If for no other reason, than just to prepare for "peak oil" or to save a litttle money on the power bill. I'm just curious-- do those things work on cloudy days too?? I wouldn't mind using one, it would actully make me feel kind of secure! Although I imagine you might have to hide it. Because of "social unrest", groups of local thugs might come a long and try to kick you out of your home so they can have it.

I guess preparedness is a smart idea, if you assume people will be nice to each other. But if you've ever seen the movie "The Book Of Eli", that shows you how people might really behave-- Out of desperation, they act like animals and kill you over food and supplies, when they find out you have them.

Preparendess isn't just about having supplies (although sadly, that's the way most people treat it). I think self defense, weapons, and ways of keeping a low profile should also be learned, just in case. No, its not the flowery meadows "Barney and friends" type of thing we would prefer to show our little ones, but we might have to for their sake. Its gonna be up to them to straighten the world back out, after all :)

Saw a report on the news-- the sun just shot off what they call a "solar tsunami" toward earth. It should hit some time tonight. Its an extra burst of the sun's radiation. Our magnetic field protects us from most of the sun's heat. But tonight, because of this flare, we may be able to see Aurora Borialis as far down as mid California, or further. It can turn the whole sky (or part of it) bright red, green, blue, pink, etc. This one also may or may not cause power outages. Hopefully not. Guess we'll know tomorrow, lol.

It happened before, just over a decade ago (happens about every 11 years). I was living in the mountins of northern California with my dad, and I got up to let my dog in at 1:00am-- the ENTIRE sky was bight red! Scared the heck out of me, lol. Until I found out what it was.

Well, if one hits in 2012 and can knock out power and satellites -- that will probably be when you see the prophecy of 2/3 of mankind die -- simply because there will be massive suicide rates, after all do you seriously think people that depend on their cell phones practically 24/7 for entertainment with all the rest of the things you mentioned -- do you think that this 7 second (probably 3 now -- 7 is obsolete) attention span society could actually survive the depression of not having a button to push for entertainment -- I say no way -- for 4-7 years? no way -- no how!

Even satellites would fall out of the sky

Why? While some satellites have motors for some maneuvering or to fight decay (I'm thinking the International Space Station here) destroying their electronic components isn't going to just make them start falling out of the sky like flies or anything. What keeps them in orbit is physics not electronics. If satellites required constant thrust (I'm assuming that's why you assume they will fall from the sky, their motors [for those that posses them] would be unable to fire as the electronic controls that tell them to would be fried) we'd not have such a problem with space junk/debris.

Now orbits decay with time as friction with the extreme upper atmosphere creates drag* and slows them down (and enough decay means it'll eventually fall from the sky but you seem to be implying something more immediate) but they stay up by moving so fast that in the time it takes them to fall they travel "past" the earth. The website with an explanation complete with handy image is here: Space Junk 101.

* Technically speaking there are other forces that can result in orbital decay but I'm not too hep on them and even if I was an in depth explanation would probably bore everyone to tears.

Edited by Dravin

As others have said, there's always 2012. And who knows? Maybe a few times between then and now! I mean this one kinda hit us by surprise, we had what? A day's time of warning? lol.

As for possible power outages.... Especially the LDS church is good about "preparedness", so hey, it might be a good idea to brush up on our solar power preparedness, just in case. Here's a video I found on how to build a very simple solar cooker/oven, with regular everyday tin foil products! Good to know. But of course in winter, you would still probably need a fire, lol:

These days, solar panels on the roof tops are actually a fad that lots of people are jumping on. I'm seeing them on family's rooftops all over. If for no other reason, than just to prepare for "peak oil" or to save a litttle money on the power bill. I'm just curious-- do those things work on cloudy days too?? I wouldn't mind using one, it would actully make me feel kind of secure! Although I imagine you might have to hide it. Because of "social unrest", groups of local thugs might come a long and try to kick you out of your home so they can have it.

I guess preparedness is a smart idea, if you assume people will be nice to each other. But if you've ever seen the movie "The Book Of Eli", that shows you how people might really behave-- Out of desperation, they act like animals and kill you over food and supplies, when they find out you have them.

Preparendess isn't just about having supplies (although sadly, that's the way most people treat it). I think self defense, weapons, and ways of keeping a low profile should also be learned, just in case. No, its not the flowery meadows "Barney and friends" type of thing we would prefer to show our little ones, but we might have to for their sake. Its gonna be up to them to straighten the world back out, after all :)

Just some notes on solar energy technology:

Currently there are two types of solar to electrical technologies being utilized. One is ceramic based and the other silicon based. The best current solution is a combination of ceramic and silicon based solar panels. These give about 25% to 30% efficiency output. Previous to this combination the max was about a 12% to 15% efficiency output.

But there is a problem of sorts. Using carbon nanotubes prototype solar panels have been created that are 60% and greater efficiency. So there is a backing off of investment in current solar panel technologies waiting to the much more efficient technology. But putting nanotubes into mass large scale manufacturing has proven to be difficult – some say this problem may delay things 10 or more years before we can produce the upgraded solar panels. Sad but a fact of life the current technology is very expensive and when the nanotube problem is resolved the new stuff will be very cheap.

There are some solar panels that will respond to various wave lengths of light that make certain solar panels more efficient especially for cloudy days. This is why the ceramic and silicon combination is attractive because they operate on different wave lengths of light. But the nanotubes are even better. Very cloudy days for prolonged periods can be a problem but if the energy was stored we could convert completely too solar power. And I have the perfect solution for that, with special high rpm carbon flywheel that operates on magnetic bearings in a vacuum – which will store 2 weeks of electrical power in a reversible generator/motor.

The Traveler