Any advice for new seminary instructor?

semodex

Yeah make it fun and bring warm rolls or something every now and then. I cant believe that our 6 year seminary is over and done with !!!!!!!!!!!! Feels so cool.. now we can sleep longer in the mornings!

I remember a good lesson about sexual purity:

You need: A flower pott with a folwer, more soil, something to clean with....

Looka at the flower ..... how pretty it is. Like if you can see any flowers outside. Take a handful of soil. What is this? Kids give you answers. Tell them it is soil and should go in teh pot. Now what is this? You take some soil and just dump it on someones lap or on a table in front of them, somewhere that makes them say yack... NOW what is that? Approve words like dirt... Yes it is dirt. Why is it now dirt ... it just was soil? Because it is out of place. It belongs in the flowerpott or in the plastic bag or it is dirt. So is sex, it belongs to where?? On your sofa after a one-nighter?.... It belongs in a marriage.. anywher else it becomes dirt!

Well someone else may remember it better or even have the internett site for that .. that is just my version. Wakes them up... teacher gone mad throws dirt on them!! :eek::D

I was just called and set apart today. I'm very excited and will be teaching in my home. Does anyone have any helps or clues on how to make it a wonderful year?

p.s. I'm a convert and have no experience with seminary other than my daughter's experience last year!

Don't let them fall asleep. Haha, couldn't resist. (my name) What a great learning experience for you.

Assigned seats and duct tape.

"Most things can be fixed with Duct Tape." - Red Green

----

Kids loves treats, but always remember not to speak to them as if they were Primary age children. You have a subject to cover and the methods that other High School age instructors use of a syllabus with clear timelines for the materials to be covered can be a great help. The usual Sunday School method of pre-picked select scriptures never gives a good overall understanding of the book being read. Make sure they learn the overall story.

If you need someone to go over your lesson plans let me know :) I'd love to look at them.

Play games, sing the seminary songs, keep them awake. Help them to learn to love the scriptures.

You have an amazing opportunity to make an impact in these teens lives. I'm a Junior in High School this year, and I can honestly say that the most influential adults in the church have been my seminary teachers(i've had 2 different ones.). I see them everyday and they taught me to love the scriptures. I can come to them with questions about anything and they always help me.

You'll get to know these teens, and hopefully love them, and they will hopefully love you. Seminary is an amazing program. Its helped me so much in my life.

Your helping these teens to feel the spirit before what could be a horrible, stressful day of peer pressure, anxety, tests and drama.

The feelings of my whole day and attitude starts at seminary. I've been able to start my day at in a wonderfull way everyday because of Seminary.

I wish I had seminary in Middle School- I really really needed it then.

You should prolly get ppl to vote on a class president which changes every semester. The class president assigns devotionals (every day begin with a song, prayer, spirtual thought.) and keeps track of attendence :)

I'm going to share a slightly different point of view.

In the Catholic church, they have a "seminary" that is geared to train their students to becoming Priests.

You are teaching and "training" future missionaries. High school is a great time for these students to become well-grounded in the gospel and have opportunities to share it.

Now, don't be intimidated by that. It's just an idea of how to think of your calling. I learned a LOT during seminary that I used as a missionary.

Have guest speakers & presenters when appropriate. Hand out flyers in advance so you can encourage maximum participation and attendance.

"Most things can be fixed with Duct Tape." - Red Green ---- Kids loves treats, but always remember not to speak to them as if they were Primary age children. You have a subject to cover and the methods that other High School age instructors use of a syllabus with clear timelines for the materials to be covered can be a great help. The usual Sunday School method of pre-picked select scriptures never gives a good overall understanding of the book being read. Make sure they learn the overall story.

It's so amazing when a teacher prepares so far in advance that they can print out a syllabus, or outline of the lessons for the whole year. That is admirable. Our teacher training seminar suggested preparing a month in advance.

Study the manual, Teaching-No Greater Call. It will give you a great beginning on how to teach them. I'm teaching the teacher's course right now (section G of the manual). I've referred to it often as a teacher over the past several years.

Also, there are probably online discussion areas for seminary teachers, etc. Feel free to ask questions, etc.

And there are resources to help you learn the gospel. For example, I'm currently doing the Gospel Doctrine classes on my blog and on LDS.Net

Old Testament - LDS Mormon Forums

You can learn a lot from such, although not all of it should be taught in Seminary. But the more you know, the more you can share as the Spirit whispers it to you to share.

Well, the church has a series of videos now that you can watch on-line for all who will teach in the church. Many of the things discussed in this thread are mentioned.

There are ALL kinds of aids. But, I assume you will get all this info at your training meetings held monthly...

...which I also say you should consider it a top priority to attend each and every one of them every single month. They are awesome and will uplift you, even just being around those in the stake that are your peers; your fellow seminary teachers. Those training meetings will prepare you fast.

I wish I could have taken the training before we start classes. It was last week. I think that I'm going to see if I can sit in a class somewhere in the Stake and contact someone to see if I can get any printed material from the last training.

Could someone fill me in on "magic square?" I watched a video on youtube on one for the Old Testament. This year is Doctrine and Covenant. Is this just a way to visualize all the scripture mastery for the year? I found the little poems that go along with everything (D&C 1 search commandments everyone). This seems like a wonderful way to remember everything, but I just don't get where everything goes on the square.

Thanks to everyone!

Growing up in California, I had seminary in the morning. Seriously, don't do it in the living room with comfortable couches and places to put your feet up. I would think about getting some of those standard LDS metal chairs and using a separate and specific part of the house to do it (if it's in your home). My last year of seminary was at the Stake center, I think that was the only year I was able to pay attention, somewhat.

I think there's to takes on the lessons, doctrine and stories. Come to know them both, come to know your students well and live so the spirit can direct you. Talk to their parents to find out the ones with struggles. Remember these are the warriors of the last days. H.F. knows them well and he will bless you, he has allot riding on them. He knows it's your job to train his warriors and he will bless you as you live for it and they will look to you as you do this. Get up every morning and ask H.F. what He would you do that day in class? I would be so excited to have this calling!!!! I love them!!!! So much strength and power, wow.

Edited by martybess

Teach the scriptures. Object lessons really aren't all that effective. Read these words of instruction from J Reuben Clark, specifically delivered to Church educators:

Try these talks:

LDS.org - Ensign Article - “A Teacher Come from Godâ€

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Excerpts from <i>The Charted Course of the Church in Education</i>

LDS.org - Liahona Article - Teaching and Learning in the Church

Edited by AR_Member