Have you ever turned down a calling?

carlimac

I have turned down two callings in my life. The first was about two months after I got off my mission. The bishop called me into his office and asked me to teach a primary class. I turned him down because I had just gotten a job in a town about 40 miles away and I was moving. This taught me an important lesson, not all callings are inspired. Sometimes callings are simply to fill a position.

The other time I turned down a calling was about 20 months ago. I had been the substitute gospel doctrine teacher, meaning when the regular GD teacher was out of town, they asked me to teach. One Sunday the bishop called me into his office and asked me to be the full time GD teacher and I reluctantly turned him down. The reason was my then 85 year old mother was in a convalescent hospital. She had several close calls when she was in the hospital, sometimes those close calls were because of inattention by the staff. Because of this, my sister and I decided that we needed to be there at the hospital as much as humanly possible. This would serve two functions, one, so we could hopefully catch any mistakes the hospital made before they became major mistakes, and two so the hospital knew we cared about our mother. This is critically important because it seems that many families only visit their loved ones once a week for 20 minutes on a Saturday and then they wonder why Dad is dead after a couple of months. I can't tell you how many times we visited the hospital and somebody who was never visited was convinced I or my sister was their son or daughter, it was heart-breaking. We were convinced that people who were never visited lived shorter, more unhappy lives, and got substandard care. So during the day when I was at work my sister visited my Mom for about 6 hours, then I would take over when I got off work and would stay with Mom 6-8 hours until visiting hours were over. On my days off, I would spend much more time than that with Mom.

Because of this, I turned down the bishop's request to be GD teacher. As a substitute GD teacher, I would spend between about 10-12 hours a week preparing for my class. I was not someone who just went by the manual and that was it. I used the manual as a guideline and really put a lot of time and effort into my preparation for the class. So i told the bishop that because of Mom's situation, I didn't feel that I could give the class the attention that it needed. As I was walking out of the office, the bishop stopped me and thanked me for being honest. He said, he wished people would be more honest about callings and accept them only to then not fulfill them. I told him if things changed with Mom I would be more than willing to accept the calling and then left the office.

The doctors told us Mom would never leave the hospital, but the Lord had other plans. Seven months later, Mom went home. She has now been home for over a year, living with me. It's taken a lot of adjustment on my part, particularly with my work situation, but it has been so worth it! The doctors look at her with amazement as they see this now 87 year old woman, someone who was completely bed bound in the hospital, now scoot around with her walker. I wouldn't be surprised if she's walking without the walker in 5-6 months. My sister and I are convinced that part of the reason she's home is because of the time we dedicated to being with her when she was in the hospital. Two weeks after Mom got out of the hospital, the bishop again called me into his office and asked me to be the full-time GD teacher. This time I accepted and held the calling until 3 weeks ago when our ward boundaries were changed.

The moral to this story? Do what is best for you. Ask the Lord in prayer what to do. Don't be afraid to speak up and talk to the person asking you to fulfill the call if you have problems or reservations about the call. This doesn't mean to look for ways to get out of the call, but if you seriously believe that you can't fulfill the obligations of the call, say so and then tell the person you'd be willing to serve in another less demanding capacity.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, never have. Either you believe that the calling is from the Lord, who knows your situation and the needs of your family and the needs of the ward, or you don't. If you don't believe the calling is from the Lord, then there are other issues at play.

It's very black and white.

I don't think that this is exactly a black and white situation. What happened to free will? All callings SHOULD be from God, but I believe that there are times when callings come from the need of man and not necessarily from the will of God. I recieved a calling a mere two weeks before my family was to make a huge move from the lower 48 to Alaska which I, of course, turned down because I would not be around to fulfill it. I truly do not believe that Heavenly Father expected me to stay in one state while my entire family moved thousands of miles away. I was given the call because they needed somebody - anybody - to take that particular position. Needless to say, another recieved the call and the position was filled....

Nana

No, never have. Either you believe that the calling is from the Lord, who knows your situation and the needs of your family and the needs of the ward, or you don't. If you don't believe the calling is from the Lord, then there are other issues at play.

Wow sixer..you snuck in on me.

Callings are probably 99% inspiration and 1% desperation.

My sister was called as the Ward pianist. She is the ONLY person who plays the piano in her ward.

Again, the ROCS (Revelation Of Common Sense) in this case.

When I was a Ward Clerk I watched the Bishopric pray about each calling and they would only extend it if they had confirmation from the Lord by each one of them. The Bishop was very clear that if one of them didn't get a firm confirmation they should say so.

However

I believe the Lord answers the prayers that we ask not the prayers we should have asked.

Example the Relief Society Presidency prays about if Sister Smith would make a good RS Teacher, gets a yes then submits to the Lord. Then the Bishopric does the same thing, gets a yes and so extends the calling.

Sister Smith turns the calling down because she is moving in three weeks across the country. Does this mean the calling was not from the Lord? What was prayed about?

The people in authority asked of the Lord if Sister Smith would make a good RS teacher. Sister Smith is a worthy dedicated member of the church. She does all she can to raise her family in the gospel. So would she make a good RS Teacher? Yes she would. Which is what the Lord answered.

Is she the one that should be called to hold that position for this ward at this time? No, but I have never heard of anyone asking the Lord that question.

The second issue of course is that the Lord requires that we do all we can ourselves and then take it to the Lord. If we do not take the time to make sure someone is going to be around or available to do a calling then why should the Lord make up for our lack of effort. I knew of someone in my old Ward who was called to the Young Men's Presidency who worked every evening except Sunday and Monday. So they could only be active during Sunday, yet the Leadership kept complaining that he was not carrying his share of the load! Yet they called him so obviously they had not taken the time to find out his work schedule and the Bishopric who interviewed him dismissed the issue.

I believe almost all Leaders rely on inspiration from the Lord and only a few use desperation but all to few make use of perspiration that is required prior to the inspiration to avoid the desperation.

Carlimac, do you think that maybe you and your hubby moved to that area b/c the Lord wanted him there for that service? Or maybe the Lord prompted your bishop to ask him, just to give him this very lesson!

:)

But then what was the lesson to be learned? To be a pleaser for all things asked or to learn the appropriate time to say no?

Actually, this whole concept of being lead somewhere for some purpose can be a bit perplexing when coupled with the concept of free agency. Its like the myriad of choices to have gone elsewhere were removed. In another context it would be akin to telling a grieving family member of a drive-by shooting victim that the decease was lead there for a purpose. Very unfortunate strings of events seem much easier to bear and fathom when they are randomized events based on choice with no inference that God wanted the unfortunate event.

Hi guys. I'm back after starting off the school year.

I've read this all with interest. I have to admit that the calling system is frightening to me. I don't have a job that ends at 5. After work, I come home to writing, grading, reading new lit in my field, doing service work for both my employer and national organizations (usually reading, writing & critiquing others' work)- work that is expected as part of my bid for tenure.

I know that many people are active LDS and work long hours or are faculty as I am, and I am embarrassed and/or guilty that I don't want to do it. I just don't. Do I have down time? Yes, but I feel I need that downtime to regroup. I just don't know how I can accept any more demands on my time and get tenure and be a good Mormon who accepts any calling.

I get the feeling that just going to church and participating in various VOLUNTEER activities (rather than 'volunteered' activities) is not enough for Mormons and it is part of what keeps me away from starting to attend church.

Hi guys. I'm back after starting off the school year.

I've read this all with interest. I have to admit that the calling system is frightening to me. I don't have a job that ends at 5. After work, I come home to writing, grading, reading new lit in my field, doing service work for both my employer and national organizations (usually reading, writing & critiquing others' work)- work that is expected as part of my bid for tenure.

I know that many people are active LDS and work long hours or are faculty as I am, and I am embarrassed and/or guilty that I don't want to do it. I just don't. Do I have down time? Yes, but I feel I need that downtime to regroup. I just don't know how I can accept any more demands on my time and get tenure and be a good Mormon who accepts any calling.

I get the feeling that just going to church and participating in various VOLUNTEER activities (rather than 'volunteered' activities) is not enough for Mormons and it is part of what keeps me away from starting to attend church.

Don't not go to church because you fear getting a calling, callings are the beauty of the church they provide each member with ownership in the church, it makes them part of not just someone who attends.

Also remember just because we should accept callings does not mean we have too. If a calling is extended to you explain your situation, time constraints etc and ask for time to converse with the Lord. If you don't have him let you know you need to take the calling and it is beyond your time ability to accept it then decline. Many in our ward are regular attending members who don't have a calling and have not had one for years, most by their choice. While Bishops almost always pray about giving a calling they do not always do the background work we should be doing to insure the person can actually fulfill the calling before asking the Lord if a person would be good for a calling.

So go to church, if the Lord really really wants you to do a calling he will provide a way for you to do so. We are not expected to neglect our other commitments in life to serve the church, we are expected to stretch ourselves to exceed what we believe are our limitations.

Callings are not always about what your capabilities are. Callings are sometimes to help us strengthen our weaknesses.

Perhaps the calling to work with the children would have taught you the patience you were lacking.

Agree! I never had all the qualities nor the capacities of a Bishop but I was called in that position. When I was called I realized I had to experience what I preach in Institute Class and Sunday Schools--A Church calling is not a lofty position, It's a School. The good thing about this school is that you are the only student and you get to have many different teachers. That you are placed in a Church calling not because you know what to do but because you will be taught what to do.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

1 Corinthians 1:25-29

When I was a Ward Clerk I watched the Bishopric pray about each calling and they would only extend it if they had confirmation from the Lord by each one of them. The Bishop was very clear that if one of them didn't get a firm confirmation they should say so.

However

I believe the Lord answers the prayers that we ask not the prayers we should have asked.

Example the Relief Society Presidency prays about if Sister Smith would make a good RS Teacher, gets a yes then submits to the Lord. Then the Bishopric does the same thing, gets a yes and so extends the calling.

Sister Smith turns the calling down because she is moving in three weeks across the country. Does this mean the calling was not from the Lord? What was prayed about?

The people in authority asked of the Lord if Sister Smith would make a good RS teacher. Sister Smith is a worthy dedicated member of the church. She does all she can to raise her family in the gospel. So would she make a good RS Teacher? Yes she would. Which is what the Lord answered.

Is she the one that should be called to hold that position for this ward at this time? No, but I have never heard of anyone asking the Lord that question.

The second issue of course is that the Lord requires that we do all we can ourselves and then take it to the Lord. If we do not take the time to make sure someone is going to be around or available to do a calling then why should the Lord make up for our lack of effort. I knew of someone in my old Ward who was called to the Young Men's Presidency who worked every evening except Sunday and Monday. So they could only be active during Sunday, yet the Leadership kept complaining that he was not carrying his share of the load! Yet they called him so obviously they had not taken the time to find out his work schedule and the Bishopric who interviewed him dismissed the issue.

I believe almost all Leaders rely on inspiration from the Lord and only a few use desperation but all to few make use of perspiration that is required prior to the inspiration to avoid the desperation.

well said! Well said. I fully agree

During my time as a Bishop I've seen some of my fellow leaders in the stake make the mistake of extending a calling out of desperation. And the extended calling never worked out. Yes I know how important revelation is. I cannot remember any calling I've extended that has not been confirmed of the Lord. In our Bishopric we list down the names of people who we think are able for a certain calling. We discuss about each one in the list about their capabilities, testimonies and circumstances (studying it out in our minds D&C 9:8). Then the 3 of us kneel down in prayer to ask God who in the list the Lord desires to call. Then we go home. In our respective homes we again kneel down in mighty supplication to reveal to us His will and tell us who in the list is the rightful one. When we meet again the next Sunday we again kneel down in prayer for the last time to ask God who in the list should we extend the call. The whole praying is asking God if it be right (D&C 9:9) Then, miracle occurs--All the three of us point to just one name in the list. Most of the time we are surprised after the Lord has revealed His will. But we have to extend it because He said so. We cannot deny it. So callings is not something leaders should just effortlessly extend to members for convenience. It should be the will of the Lord that has decided it.

Guest mirancs8

I turned down a calling for scouts just over 2 weeks ago. It was no easy by any messure to turn it down. After praying about it for a week the answer I recieved was that there is no way I could fulfill that calling. I think they forget I'm a single mother that also works full time. When I stated my decision a week later I explained that first the scouts meet around 4:30pm and I don't get into the area till 5:30pm. In addition I have to pick up my children and feed them dinner. Even if I accepted the calling it wouldn't be fair to those who are already scout leaders that now have someone who can't even do anything to help. What's the point. There was no possible way I could have filled this calling. He completely agreed and that was that.

I am eager to serve but it has to be realistic to what I am capable of doing with my current situation. It's not fair to those others who serve. They should have someone who will be able to participate fully. I honestly think they just forgot my situation when they extended this calling to me.

Anyway, does anyone think there is an appropriate time to say no to a calling?

Only one time did I think I should say "no". It was a Stake calling and involved travel. Something at that time I did not do well. Other then my love of children the other part of the jobs was beyond the skills I had. I accepted the calling. I spent alot of time on my knees in that calling. During that time I lost a friend, broke both my legs and had a blood clot go to my lung, and my daughter gave birth to twins too early. I was so blessed. Ok, no I am not crazy. I know with all my heart because I did what my Heavenly Father wanted me to do, I was blessed. I came through. I had the comfort of the Holy Ghost knowing that I had done what I could do. I gained a testimony that I did not have before this calling. I lived when a younger and stronger person had just died from the same thing that had happen to me. Twins were sent to Louisana. One of the High Priest that I served with in the Stake went out of his way when he was on vacation to give my "little ones" a blessing. Yes, I was truly blessed.

One of the brothers in our Ward came to the hospital and gave me a blessings after the clot. I had the opportunity to serve this same brother through his grandson in my Nursery class. He was "special needs". They say I was a "blessing". I know he was a blessing. I feel my Father in Heaven would expect no less from me then I was given. I believe we are called to serve. Sometimes doing those things we just don't know how we can do.

Edited by zippy_do46

But then what was the lesson to be learned? To be a pleaser for all things asked or to learn the appropriate time to say no?

Actually, this whole concept of being lead somewhere for some purpose can be a bit perplexing when coupled with the concept of free agency. Its like the myriad of choices to have gone elsewhere were removed. In another context it would be akin to telling a grieving family member of a drive-by shooting victim that the decease was lead there for a purpose. Very unfortunate strings of events seem much easier to bear and fathom when they are randomized events based on choice with no inference that God wanted the unfortunate event.

Sorry I didn't answer you before, Moksha, I didn't read your post before now .

I don't know what the lesson to be learned would be exactly, but I do know that every time we have a trial that there is a lesson to be learned from it.

I also know that the Lord will not give us more than we can bear with His help.

Actually, you might find it really strange, but I find things much easier to bear when I look for the purpose behind difficult trials... for example, my father died when I was very young. It was hard for my family to cope with that. I missed him. I had been a daddy's girl, and he was the fun one in the family...you can imagine all of the issues that arose in caring for us. However, when I look back on my life I can see how I developed strength and trust in the Lord through it. I know that he is waiting for me on the other side of the veil. He was sick for a very long time, and now he is not.

The miracle is not that bad things won't happen, the miracle is that, no matter what happens, whatever the adversary throws at us, even death itself, will be to our good and our experience. God cannot be defeated or thwarted.

While imprisoned, Joseph Smith asked the Lord why he allowed bad things to happen to that extent...why he and the rest of the saints would have to suffer for so long, and how much longer would they be asked to endure. The Lord answered this which made two sections of D&C...

121 &122

5 If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in perils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;

6 If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb;

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. 8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

And my favorite one:)

9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.:wub:

I have faced some devastating trials at the hands of others...and have found this scripture to be true for me as well. I know that thanks to my Lord, the Savior Jesus Christ, there is nothing on this earth that can touch me. Nothing can stand between me and my Savior.

About accepting a calling. Elder Thomas S. Monson said, " Never aspire for a Church Position. When you are called never say no. When the going gets tough never resign." I... Believe me sister, the only thing that should stop anyone from accepting a calling is their unworhtiness.

See, that's exactly the kind of thinking that keeps me away (and I like Monson quite a bit). There's no room for discussion of personal issues, preferences, etc. Just say yes, no matter how ill-prepared or ill-equipped you are to handle it.

Guest mormonmusic

It really comes down to where you think the call comes from.

If you put God first everything else will work out.

My life experience has shown me this is a dangerous way to view all situations. There have been times when I've acted upon things I believed came from God, only to find it DIDN'T work out. It's doesn't always. Sometimes its the Lord's plan for it NOT to work out, and sometimes, it just doesn't work out due to the forces of nature. Believing that all things from God will "work out" creates unrealistic expectations, and can be testimony-shattering for people when acting on inspiration causes negative experiences.

I think that kind of simplistic faith is very pure and admirable in some ways, but I find that life is much more complicated than that as I've gotten older.

It says turn down a calling. You are not alone in this calling. Many factors determine the success of a calling. If the calling is not working, Leadership should see this. Ask where the problems are and work from there. If this person needs to be released then Leadership should be more then just the end results. It might be just training. It might be something more. If you accept a calling and you have done your best and things still are not working out then you need to go to your leadership and work with them. Who is to say what the sucess was? This person who accepted your calling or you as a leader doing what you should do.

Now, the other side. I was so shy when I first became a member of the church. I could not do callings or pray in the church. I know I let many people down because instead of telling them my problem I just started now showing up. I went inactive over 10 years. I will say this and not to put any of the leadership down, but no one ever asked. Later when I was trying to find my way back I started telling my story. Leadership started helping me help myself. This helped me make a sucess of my callings.

When I was called in Leadership I realized several things. I saw both sides of a coin. If a calling was not working out then I asked why. I worked and if this person needed to be released then they were released. WE worked through it. This way both were doing what our Father in Heaven wanted us to do.

My life experience has shown me this is a dangerous way to view all situations. There have been times when I've acted upon things I believed came from God, only to find it DIDN'T work out. It's doesn't always. Sometimes its the Lord's plan for it NOT to work out, and sometimes, it just doesn't work out due to the forces of nature. Believing that all things from God will "work out" creates unrealistic expectations, and can be testimony-shattering for people when acting on inspiration causes negative experiences.

I think that kind of simplistic faith is very pure and admirable in some ways, but I find that life is much more complicated than that as I've gotten older.

What are some examples of situations where you would counsel someone to put other things before God?

What are the things we can put before God that will make a particular situation work out better?

What are some examples of situations where you would counsel someone to put other things before God?

What are the things we can put before God that will make a particular situation work out better?

Suppose we have the stomach flu on the day we are supposed to fill a cannery assignment. I'm pretty sure staying home, taking care of ourselves and avoiding spreading the germ to countless others should come before doing God's work at the cannery.

There ARE certain things related to our Heavenly Father that should be high on our priority list... Taking care of our families, looking out for our neighbors, prayer, Christlike actions on a daily basis, temple attendance as often as possible as our individual situations allow, scripture study, etc. All that IS God's work and we don't need a calling to do them. I believe some kind of calling in the ward is always a good thing to help balance our lives and to help the ward or branch run smoothly. But most of God's work that we do won't be in the form of an official church calling.

ALso, I don't believe all callings are always directly from God. When my husband was in a student ward bishopric he said that many of the leadership callings were made based on inspiration. The rest were just whoever they could get to fill the slot.

I was once extended a calling. The bishop started out saying, "We have prayed about this and feel good about it. We'd like to call you to __________." But there were things going on in my life, medical issues at the time that he had no clue about. It would have been a very inappropriate calling at the time. Yes, in other times, I may have been a perfect person to fill that job. But at the time the calling was extended, I could not handle it. I told him "no" on the spot and then explained my situation and we talked about other "jobs" in the ward that might fit my situation better. In the end, I was greatly relieved to not have to take the assignment, was able to go on to heal properly, others in my family who would have been affected, in fact grew stronger because I wasn't in that calling. And the person who did get called did a beautiful job. I was given a different assignment that was better suited to my situation and blessed my life and I hope it blessed others too.

Anyway, all that to say that fulfilling every calling extended isn't the only way to put God first.

Edited by carlimac

Ok, this topic really has my dander up.

I'm an ex'd member. I was mercifully and gratefully given a calling. I guess its a case of the grass is greener, but I am so happy to have a calling that I thanked God profusely for it. I'm doing my best to perform and learn as much as I can with this calling.

To have a discussion as to whether to accept or not is asinine. ACCEPT! If you-all were in a position that you could not have one, cannot take the sacrament, cannot say a prayer in a church group then I hope you would feel differently about callings. However, I hope you never are in that position.

Ok, this topic really has my dander up.

I'm an ex'd member. I was mercifully and gratefully given a calling. I guess its a case of the grass is greener, but I am so happy to have a calling that I thanked God profusely for it. I'm doing my best to perform and learn as much as I can with this calling.

To have a discussion as to whether to accept or not is asinine. ACCEPT! If you-all were in a position that you could not have one, cannot take the sacrament, cannot say a prayer in a church group then I hope you would feel differently about callings. However, I hope you never are in that position.

Well I hope not either. But that isn't the point here. (By the way, it's admirable that you are grateful for the chance to serve. I'm glad you have a wise bishop who is letting you do this.) The choice isn't whether to accept the calling and do it, or reject it and do nothing. There are innumerable needs in a ward. Many many ways to serve. Sometimes the bishop just doesn't have the skinny on what is going on in our lives. Sometimes he might be given a vision or some other way to know very private things going on in our lives that would prevent us from serving in a certain capacity. Or someone in the ward might flat out tell him. But if there are no spies reporting to him, or no visions, he just can't know. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying, "This isn't the right time for me to do this particular thing. THIS is what's going on in my life. Is there anything else I can do? I really want to serve but I'm about to have a hip replacement and cant be lifting and stooping in the nursery, or I'm just starting chemotherapy and being ward activity chairman would not be a good thing for me or the ward right now. Or my on call schedule at the hospital would prevent me from being available when you need me. BUT here is when I am available." If done in the right spirit, I'm quite sure the Lord won't hold it against us.

Guest mormonmusic

I can't answer this question the way it's worded -- it's implying that all calls are synonymous with God's will. And I don't believe they are, always. Now, if you reword the question "What are some examples of situations where you would counsel someone to refuse a calling?" -- I could answer a whole variety of ways:

a) You were suffering from medical depression or terminal illness and knew you couldn't handle the calling. But you didn't want to share that fact with Church leaders for personal reasons.

b) You were guilty of some serious sin, and were trying to get up the nerve to confess. YOu wouldn't want to accept a high profile calling knowing those issues were not yet resolved, and you weren't ready to confess yet. (Better get there-- right?)

c) YOu know the calling isn't inspired after doing your own prayer and seeking of the Spirit or confirmation.

etc....

I think a better wording is, what are some things we can put before a calling that will make a situation work out better?

1. Family

2. Personal Health

3. The need to temporarily devote a lot of time to your work and your schooling, during a temporary but extended spike period...etcetera.

...I'm glad you have a wise bishop who is letting you do this.)

A kind Stake Presidency. It's a Stake calling.

And as far as excuses, I don't buy it. At least all the ones you've tossed out as examples.

So if one doesn't think the Bishop doesn't know the skinny on ones life, then tell him. But I'm sure the Lord knows.

So if one doesn't think the Bishop doesn't know the skinny on ones life, then tell him. But I'm sure the Lord knows.

You're right. As several people on this thread have pointed out, however, it comes down to the fact that not everyone believes that every.single.calling is inspired.

You're right. As several people on this thread have pointed out, however, it comes down to the fact that not everyone believes that every.single.calling is inspired.

One word, Faith.

Maybe I'd better end my involvement in this thread since I'm on the road to offend someone, if I already have.