Halloween

scdoyle

I was wondering what everyone else does when Halloween falls on a Sunday, like this year. Of course, we aren't taking our kids out to trick or treat, but what about giving candy to the kids that come to your door? My wife says that it's breaking the sabbath giving out candy on a Sunday, but I said that our kids get candy every Sunday in primary, so what's the big deal. What do you all think?

our city moved the trick or treating activities to sat. night. which i'm very glad about.

not sure what we would have done if they hadn't. if i don't take my kids trick or treating you can bet i'm not handing candy out to others. just seems like it would hurt my kids to see that. instead buy a bit of candy for the house (or better make treats at home with them), play some family games, eat candy, etc. make it a family night?

The last time Halloween fell on a Sunday we didn't go trick or treating but we did give out candy to those who came to our home. My attitude toward trick or treating on Sunday has evolved since then, I won't have any issues letting my kids go out this year. It's a family activity that will get us out and interacting with our neighbors who we may not otherwise see and could lead to missionary opportunities, we don't live in an area of high Mormon concentration. I don't see why Heavenly Father would have a problem with that.

My kids had their Girl Scout haloween party last week. My work is having kids wander the aisles on Friday the 29th. Our ward will be doing something one of these weekends. We're going to Cheyenne Mountain's Boo at the Zoo for the umpteenth year in a row.

After all that, I don't think we'll even notice the actual date of Haloween. If anyone does notice, I'll be sure to roll them back over onto their pile of candy so they can get themselves back into their sugar coma.

LM

In my area, trick-or-treating happens whenever Halloween is, even if that's on a Sunday. The LDS community is a minority here, so not only do holiday celebrations take place no matter what day of the week they are, most businesses are open and full on Sundays. When I go to Costco, I go in the middle of the week because Sundays are the busiest day there.

We're going trick or treating. I don't see why it's against the Sabbath to spend time with the neighbors. We sometimes potluck at Church on Sundays after the 3rd block of meetings, I don't see this as anything different.

And yes, we're handing out candy too.

And no, it's not BEGGING. Gee wheez! It's SHARING. Get with the program!

Going on a tangent here if I may...

I don't see what's wrong with certain parties on Sunday either. I mean, end-of-season soccer parties sometimes are held on Sunday because Saturday is full of games. I don't see a reason how this is breaking the Sabbath when you're celebrating your children's achievement?

Our family parties are always held on Sunday after church services. My family is Catholic and Catholics gather on Sunday. It's usually a giant party since I have tons of cousins. Yes, we play games and a lot of times it is held at the beach house - so we go swimming. Those family parties were one of my fondest memories. It's difficult for me to explain to my family why we can't go. I guess because I don't really know why we can't go...

So yeah, an explanation would be cool.

I used to try to hometeach a family that lived in an apartment building. The last week of October, they had a large poster taped to their door containing a long wordy rant about how kids should not knock on their door, and they don't celebrate haloween because they're mormon, and you shouldn't either because it's all about demons, and everyone is going to hell if things don't change, and blah blah blah.

I would advise against something like that. Although it did present me with a missionary moment as I was able to explain to a neighbor about how no, all mormons aren't really like that.

LM

i'm not in a heavily lds populated area... just happen to be in the bible belt... we may go out to lunch on sundays but we do have some pride for the sabbath left. lol

Hi Gwen. :)

I think the OT rules about the Sabbath were much more strict like the amount of steps they were allowed to take on that day, etc.

I think the OT rules about the Sabbath were much more strict like the amount of steps they were allowed to take on that day, etc.

i hope i didn't offend you dr t. it was said somewhat sarcastically. lds seem to have a more strict interpretation of the sabbath than most the other christians around here. i was very pleased when the mayor commented that we have a tradition of moving certain activities out of respect for the sabbath and our city would do trick or treating on sat as it has in yrs past. i'm glad i live in an area where we can agree on some things and the simple fact that it's sunday is still taken into consideration even if we disagree on the final decision.

Those were the Pharisee's rules, and they still exist today in some Orthodox Jewish areas. But you'll not find anything in the Book of Leviticus about how many steps one may take on the Sabbath.

We'll celebrate with the ward on Sat. Probably just stay home the evening of the 31st and eat something nutricious to counter all the sugar. I'll pass out candy (maybe pilfered from my kids' bags) to the trick or treaters that come on Sun.

All the schools my kids went to in the mid-west basically banned Halloween. The kindergarteners got to dress up and do a little parade but the rest of the older grades didn't get to. They did schedule "Wacky Hair Day" for Oct. 31st. The evangelical preschool one daughter went to totally ignored the day as did the new public elementary school two kids went to last year. Now this is weird- they did a full blown Thanksgiving celebration in the kindergarten class in Nov. but the day before Christmas break the kindergarteners had a "Celebrate the American Indians" festival. Not one mention of Christmas.

So it makes me wonder- I can see how they had to be pc about Halloween and Christmas with so many Evang. Christians in the area who think Halloween is evil and pagan. They hide in their basements on Halloween night with all the lights out. And with quite a few Jews and even more Muslims in the school, I can understand downplaying Christmas. But why the big Thanksgiving whoop-dee-do? I get that it's part of American history. But all those centuries ago the pilgrims and Indians were giving thanks to God. It was basically a religious celebration. So what about kids of atheists in the school? If we're going to be PC we should not even mention prayer at all. And then what about the vegans? Those poor turkeys...

Being PC just has no end once it gets really rolling.

So let me see if I got this straight. Being nice to kids by giving them food on a Sunday is now considered breaking the sabbath? Hmm. I'm sure people wouldn't think twice about giving a baked apple pie as a welcome to a new neighbor on the sabbath, but yet if it's kids then that's somehow going against what God wants us to do?:confused: Don't get it.

i hope i didn't offend you dr t. it was said somewhat sarcastically. lds seem to have a more strict interpretation of the sabbath than most the other christians around here. i was very pleased when the mayor commented that we have a tradition of moving certain activities out of respect for the sabbath and our city would do trick or treating on sat as it has in yrs past. i'm glad i live in an area where we can agree on some things and the simple fact that it's sunday is still taken into consideration even if we disagree on the final decision.

NP Gwen. I was not offended at all. I didn't intend to give that impression. I was just saying it was SO much more limiting.

So let me see if I got this straight. Being nice to kids by giving them food on a Sunday is now considered breaking the sabbath? Hmm. I'm sure people wouldn't think twice about giving a baked apple pie as a welcome to a new neighbor on the sabbath, but yet if it's kids then that's somehow going against what God wants us to do?:confused: Don't get it.

Well, it depends are the trick or treaters this year going to be dressed as Angels and Fairies or Draculas and serial killers in bloody clothes?

• 2 weeks later...