Addressing each other as brother and sister

JThimm88

Is there any specific reason for the formality of addressing each other as Brother/Sister (insert last name here) in the Church, versus Brother/Sister (insert first name here)?

Most often my last name is used... I think there may have been one time when my first name was used instead. When thinking about it, I'd prefer to go by my first name because it's a little less formal and seems more ... well, "friendly" is the only word I can think of right now, but that doesn't really describe what I'm trying to get at. Oh well!

Any ideas?

Speaking of the brother/sister title question...does anyone know what it takes to achieve the title of Mother, like Mother Teresa? On another note...I don't know how others feel but I've always felt a little funny calling a catholic priest father. I realize it's tradition though and I've done it out of respect. Just felt a little funny. I guess when I think father I think of Heavenly Father and there is no man on Earth equal to Him. Not even close. I mean no disrespect to anyone of any faith so I apologize in advance if I said something stupid. I'm just a simple minded country boy. :)

Speaking of the brother/sister title question...does anyone know what it takes to achieve the title of Mother, like Mother Teresa? On another note...I don't know how others feel but I've always felt a little funny calling a catholic priest father. I realize it's tradition though and I've done it out of respect. Just felt a little funny. I guess when I think father I think of Heavenly Father and there is no man on Earth equal to Him. Not even close. I mean no disrespect to anyone of any faith so I apologize in advance if I said something stupid. I'm just a simple minded country boy. :)

Mother - as in Mother Teresa - is a title given to women in the Roman Catholic Faith who are nuns. So, yeah, nuns = mother, priest = father. They don't get to be regular mothers and fathers because they take on the vow of celibacy. So, basically, they can claim the entire parish/community/church their children.

When I first started going to Church, back when I was 8 yrs old, only the Adults were addressed as Bro/Sis Surname, all children (age 18 and younger) were addressed by given name only, except when called publicly to give a talk or prayer.

When I returned after 30 years, I was addressed as Sis Surname. Then my divorce was finalized a year later and my surname changed. It took the primary kids a bit to assimilate the change of surname. Note: wearing a name badge helped them.

Fast forward 6 years and I have returned after marrying and moving to another state. My surname has changed once again. The primary youth are no longer in the branch- families moved, yet the adults I knew find it hard to remember my last name, so I am addressed as Sis Iggy.

I find it hard to remember the Sisters surnames, so I call them by their given names too. All except one sister, she and her sister are now both in the branch. The elder of the sisters has always gone by the name of Joy, though her given name is Jocelyn. Her younger sister just moved here, married in the Branch and her given name is Joy. So the elder sister is Sis Surname and her sister is Sis Joy.

We also have several sets of couples that have the same surnames though they are not related. They are addressed as Bro/Sis Given Name.

The title of Bro/Sis, Bishop/President is one of respect. If I am called to Primary or YW, then I will have the children address me as Sis Surname, it teaches them respect of their elders/teachers.

Dunno but I remember being little and going to school and referring to friends' parents as Brother-so-and-so, Sister-so-and-so.. I remember non-LDS kids looking at me like what the.. :lol:

Yeah the looks from passerby's when I would address a member outside of Church. Two of the brethern drove the city bus that I took to and from work when I was in High School. There was also a Sister that worked at the grocery store. Even though my Mom wasn't a member- she only knew of her as Sister Surname.

Then when I came back to church, and the primary kids saw me at work (cashier at the local grocery store), they would call me Sister Surname. What I thought was one of the best missionary moments was when the 4 children of a family from church saw me shopping at the Fred Meyers store and squeeled "Sister Surname, Sister Surname" and ran down an aisle to give me hugs and kisses. The youngest was in the cart and screamed for me to Kisses Me, Kisses Me Sister Surname. Other shoppers stopped and looked, and several asked us what was with the Sister bit. Their mother and I proudly explained about the Mormon church. She even had the latest Pass Along cards and we 'passed' them along. :lol:

Just like the sewing machine brand name.....what if your surname WAS Brother and you were a male? "Hello, I'd like to introduce you to Brother Brother." Huh??? :P (Yeah, I'm goofy. So what.)

I knew an Elder Elder, and a Bishop Bishop. They weren't goofy though:lol:

Mother - as in Mother Teresa - is a title given to women in the Roman Catholic Faith who are nuns. So, yeah, nuns = mother, priest = father. They don't get to be regular mothers and fathers because they take on the vow of celibacy. So, basically, they can claim the entire parish/community/church their children.

I've noticed nuns have quite a variety of titles such as "Sister", "Dame" etc. The title "Mother" is usually reserved for the senior nun (abbess or prioress) of a community.

Some Anglican priests are also addressed as "Father [first or last name]" within their parishes, though "Reverand" is more common.

(By the way, In England it's usually considered wrong to call a priest Reverand [Last name]. It should be Reverand [First name] [Last name] or Reverand [initials] [Last name].)

Edited by Jamie123

Close but not quite, a Nun is a Sister, however a leader of a group of Nuns is a Mother.

For the first year of being in my husband home ward I was known as "Sister uhhh Aaron's Wife." Even in Relief Society.

When I first joined as a kid, it seemed odd to call others brother and sister, but that didn't last long. I mean, we go to WARDS (looney ward?) and attend Relief Society and attending seminary is a common thing for teenagers. Not exactly common day phrases outside of church.

LDS are not the only ones doing this. However, when we do it...it means that we are aware that we come from a Heavenly family. That GOD is literally our Father of us all in heaven and this does not change just because we are born on the earth and GOD has removed our memory of it. We call each other brother and sister by faith based on the Report of Joseph Smith concerning heavenly families.

bert10

Is there any specific reason for the formality of addressing each other as Brother/Sister (insert last name here) in the Church, versus Brother/Sister (insert first name here)?

Most often my last name is used... I think there may have been one time when my first name was used instead. When thinking about it, I'd prefer to go by my first name because it's a little less formal and seems more ... well, "friendly" is the only word I can think of right now, but that doesn't really describe what I'm trying to get at. Oh well!

Any ideas?

Even Sherem uses the title with Jacob.

6And it came to pass that he came unto me, and on this wise did he speak unto me, saying: Brother Jacob, I have sought much opportunity that I might speak unto you; for I have heard and also know that thou goest about much, preaching that which ye call the gospel, or the doctrine of Christ.

Guest LDS_Guy_1986

I understand the reason for the use of brother and sister, but my question was more directed at what follows ... last name or first name. :)

Traditionally last name, you could use first name but that may lead to some confusion among the Brethren and Sisters.

Usually if you call someone by there first name you don't add any prefix, only when using the last name.

Sherem of the BOM truly the BOM is part of the restitution of all things promised from the foundation of the world. The Law of Moses was the right way for the people..because unlike Lehi and Nephi they could not bear meat.

Sherem denied the Christ the Son of GOD whom it is written that Life Eternal belongs only to them who believes that Jesus the Christ is the Son of Father whom even Jesus calls...The ONLY TRUE GOD.

John 17:3 - And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent

bert10

Even Sherem uses the title with Jacob.

6And it came to pass that he came unto me, and on this wise did he speak unto me, saying: Brother Jacob, I have sought much opportunity that I might speak unto you; for I have heard and also know that thou goest about much, preaching that which ye call the gospel, or the doctrine of Christ.