What is a false Christ?

Matthew0059

Joseph Smith--Matthew 1:22

22 For in those days there shall also arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders, insomuch, that, if possible, they shall deceive the very elect, who are the elect according to the covenant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is a false CHRIST?

I think it is anyone who professes to be the Messiah. I think it's the same as Antichrist. If you look at Matthew 24:5 it says "many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ." I think it is prophesying that there are people who will come forth and claim to be the Christ and that we must be very cautious of these people not to be deceived. Read Joseph Smith- Matthew 1: 5-9. there are also other references under the topical guide.

The elect are those who are righteous and those who are chosen of God.

That's about all I know :)

The thing is, when we think "Christ" we think of Jesus. But I don't think false Christs necessarily means someone proclaiming to be the Messiah. I think it could refer to those who claim to "know" the way and uses means other than the Lord's appointed order to guide others to salvation.

The thing is, when we think "Christ" we think of Jesus. But I don't think false Christs necessarily means someone proclaiming to be the Messiah. I think it could refer to those who claim to "know" the way and uses means other than the Lord's appointed order to guide others to salvation.

I can see that point and you may very well be right, I was thinking of those as more so the false prophets spoke about, but you are right, it could be anyone that is teaching contrary to the Lord's teaching. Thanks for your insight

Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained:

“False Christs! False Redeemers, false Saviors! Will there actually be men who will claim to fulfill the Messianic prophecies and who will step forth to offer their blood for the sins of the world? Is it possible that some will say, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life; come unto me and be ye saved’? Or that others will profess to return in glory bearing the wounds with which the true Christ was wounded in the house of his friends?

“True, there may be those deranged persons who suppose they are God, or Christ, or the Holy Ghost, or almost anything. None but the lunatic fringe among men, however, will give them a second serious thought. The promise of false Christs who will deceive, if it were possible, even the very elect, who will lead astray those who have made eternal covenant with the Lord, is a far more subtle and insidious evil.

“A false Christ is not a person. It is a false system of worship, a false church, a false cult that says: ‘Lo, here is salvation; here is the doctrine of Christ. Come and believe thus and so, and ye shall be saved.’ It is any concept or philosophy that says that redemption, salvation, sanctification, justification, and all of the promised rewards can be gained in any way except that set forth by the apostles and prophets” ( The Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man [1982], 47–48).

link

I think it is anyone who professes to be the Messiah. I think it's the same as Antichrist. If you look at Matthew 24:5 it says "many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ." I think it is prophesying that there are people who will come forth and claim to be the Christ and that we must be very cautious of these people not to be deceived. Read Joseph Smith- Matthew 1: 5-9. there are also other references under the topical guide.

There was a Jew that qualified for that. He lived in New York. People thought he was the Messiah and he went along with it.

Excellent posts everyone! Two replies were headed in the direction I wanted to go:

Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained...

A false Christ is not a person. It is a false system of worship, a false church, a false cult that says: ‘Lo, here is salvation; here is the doctrine of Christ. Come and believe thus and so, and ye shall be saved.’ It is any concept or philosophy that says that redemption, salvation, sanctification, justification, and all of the promised rewards can be gained in any way except that set forth by the apostles and prophets” ( The Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man [1982], 47–48).

link

For a better understanding, we should understand what the term "Christ" means.

From the Bible Dictionary entry for 'Christ', we see that the Greek equivalent means 'anointed', and is synonymous to the Hebrew word 'messiah'. From the Bible Dictionary entry for 'Messiah', we read:

Used as the title of an office, [Messiah] denotes the King and Deliverer whose coming the Jews were eagerly expecting. In the N.T. the deliverer is called the Christ, which is the Greek equivalent of Messiah, and Jesus the Messiah is called Jesus the Christ, Jesus Christ, or Christ Jesus.

What were the Jews looking for? The promised deliverer who would relieve them of their fallen state. In the time of CHRIST'S life, many Jews understood that to mean that the Messiah would be a great military or political leader who would lead Israel and her armies to break the yoke of their oppression and establish Israel as an independent city-state forevermore. Thus, when HE finally appeared and acted as their spiritual Savior, many rejected HIM because HE didn't fit their false, preconceived notions of HIM.

Now, I ask: what was CHRIST anointed to do? We know that from the beginning, it has been the SAVIOR'S role to work out the Atonement and the redemption of the whole human family from their fallen state (Abraham 3:27). Thus, the SAVIOR was foreordained to act in HIS capacity as the Redeemer and end all sorrow and pain, dealing justice to the righteous and wicked alike.

In the world today, any man who looks around himself and takes stock of the world's situation realizes the need for such a Deliverer. If said man has the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, he will know whence this deliverance will come. However, the vast majority of the world doesn't know the true Gospel, and when faced with the pressures and problems of the world, they will go to further and further extremes to attempt to bring peace and balance to the world.

Enter the cunning, wicked leaders of the world whose goal is to 'stir up' the hearts of their followers to anger against others for the purpose of uniting the people under the wicked men's rule. These wicked men and women do not seek to better the state of the people, but seek for their own glorification and gain. Being flatterers, they will use every tactic of deception at their power to get and keep power. A great majority of the people, seeing their desperate situation and looking for guidance and leadership, will flock to these wicked leaders.

What tactics do these flatterers use to lull the people into 'carnal security', or to whip them into frenzy, or to lull them to spiritual sleep? The tactics vary, but always have a common theme: that the flatterer's leadership/philosophy/politic will alleviate the suffering of the people, thereby delivering them from their present, fallen state.

The Communist and the Nazi may say that the Jewish conspiracy is to blame for the current state of affairs, and that by organizing together under one banner and taking the power back 'for the people' will solve their problems. The anarcho-capitalist may claim that government itself is to blame, and that their specific brand of anarchy and free market economics is the way to happiness. The relativist will claim that the cause of social troubles are outdated social traditions, such as marriage. The humanist and existentialist will say that a belief in GOD is to blame, citing so-called holy wars such as the crusades as "proof".

Ultimately, a false Christ is ANYONE and ANYTHING that claims that deliverance comes through ANY means other than one individual at a time through the Atonement of JESUS CHRIST. There will be wicked and/or deluded men who pretend to be the CHRIST, and may work miracles to convince many.

In the end, the way to discern any false Christ- be it a person, a philosophy, a political system, or whatever else- is through staying close to the Holy Ghost, who is our closest ally while on this earth. If we live in such a manner that we honor the Holy Priesthood of GOD that is in our midst, GOD will not let us be deceived. The prophet and the body of the Quorum of the Twelve will not lead us astray either- but they won't be there all the time, and Satan creeps in gradually through very small means.

That is the absolutely most crucial thing to know in these end days, after receiving a testimony that JESUS is the one and only CHRIST.

I would go one step farther - that is, anyone that claims to act in the name of Christ (as his proxy, or in his name) that is not authorized by Christ; is also a false Christ

The Traveler

Sounds like the same person. I know he did die and people were waiting for him to come back.

If this is him: The Rebbe- About Chabad-Lubavitch

Then it's hard to know what to think. My impression is that his followers see him as a messianic type, but might not say he is the one they look for. So, it might be too much to say he is a false messiah, christ or savior. On the other hand, many observant Jews are uncomfortable with his movement, though.

I would go one step farther - that is, anyone that claims to act in the name of Christ (as his proxy, or in his name) that is not authorized by Christ; is also a false Christ

The Traveler

This could be understood to say that any follower of Christ who gets to full of him/herself, and starts drawing attention for their supposed anointing or gifts could be guilty. If so, I'd say amen.

On the other hand, some might perceive this as an accusation against nearly all non-LDS Christians, who operate in the name of Christ, but are considered apostate and not within the Restoration. If nothing else, that would certainly be a dialogue disolver.

Joseph Smith—Matthew

An extract from the translation of the Bible as revealed to Joseph Smith the Prophet in 1831: Matthew 23:39 and chapter 24.

22 For in those days there shall also arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders, insomuch, that, if possible, they shall deceive the very elect, who are the elect according to the covenant.

St Mark Chapter 13

22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

and speaking to the Jews

2 Nephi Chapter 25

18 Wherefore, he shall bring forth his words unto them, which words shall judge them at the last day, for they shall be given them for the purpose of convincing them of the true Messiah, who was rejected by them; and unto the convincing of them that they need not look forward any more for a Messiah to come, for there should not any come, save it should be a false Messiah which should deceive the people; for there is save one Messiah spoken of by the prophets, and that Messiah is he who should be rejected of the Jews.