Church pet peeves!!!

MichaelH

I. HATE. KIDS. WITH. TOYS.

MHEFHJFVJknaskbwkjwvriejrfvyjhHVKJSBVKVWCJWGCRGJWECRJGWCXJnSKVWKHWFVDWJCJRRV

...I'm better now. :D

Get over it. This is a church who believes in *gasp* families and that includes kids.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl:

*playful punch* Why aren't you in a good mood?

*playful punch* Why aren't you smiling?

*playful punch* Why are you so cute?

*playful punch* Why don't you go up and give your testimony?

Yea, I can see how that can be annoying. Problem is, my returning playful punch sends them flying across the chapel. At a minimum, it leaves a well deserved bruise for annoying me.

Slamjet, 3 pages later, I'm still laughing about that, becuase after you punched me I stole a kid's ziplock bag of cheerios and I'm throwing them on the floor by the handful and glaring at YOU! :gnash:

What are my church pet peeves....wow...here we go

1. While prelude music is playing in Chapel, members feel the need to talk and visit while in Chapel.

2. When asked to give a prayer, members feel the need to turn it into a sermon.

3. When asked to give a talk and have been asked to speak for 15 minutes, members speak for 20-25 minutes.

4. While giving a testimony members feel the urge to testify for 5-10 minutes as opposed to 2-3 minutes. Others might like a chance

5. Mother with children, struggling with noisy ones, members dont go over and see of they can help poor Mother.

6. When husband and wife at church and children to go outside due to crying etc....Mother takes them out...why not the Dad!!!!

7.Aaronic Priesthood Parents.....what is it going to take to get the Family to church on time so son can magnify his priesthood.

8. While singing hymns during church....sounds like funeral music and no one looks up while singing.

There are more but thats enough for now........

1. While prelude music is playing in Chapel, members feel the need to talk and visit while in Chapel.

2. When asked to give a prayer, members feel the need to turn it into a sermon.

3. When asked to give a talk and have been asked to speak for 15 minutes, members speak for 20-25 minutes.

4. While giving a testimony members feel the urge to testify for 5-10 minutes as opposed to 2-3 minutes. Others might like a chance

5. Mother with children, struggling with noisy ones, members dont go over and see of they can help poor Mother.

6. When husband and wife at church and children to go outside due to crying etc....Mother takes them out...why not the Dad!!!!

7.Aaronic Priesthood Parents.....what is it going to take to get the Family to church on time so son can magnify his priesthood.

8. While singing hymns during church....sounds like funeral music and no one looks up while singing.

There are more but thats enough for now........

My, aren't we just a big complainer?;)

Actually, I have offered several times to take our now 15 month old out so that my wife can benefit from the talks/testimonies. She always gets up and goes outside anyway. I always ask her if I could take our daughter out so that she can finish the lesson, but she walks out of the room anyway. I have offered to take our daughter to priesthood, but my wife takes her with her and says she will be fine, only after church complain about how she had to get up and leave R.S and not hear anything.

Then, the other day, when I asked my wife why she does not feel like going to church, she replied with something to the effect that she is tired of missing out on all of the lessons and talks and have to go out with our daughter. I politely said to her, "will you once let me take her out so that you can receive the blessings that you are missing?" and that is where the conversation ended.

Today, Church was cancelled due to snow and ice, next Sunday is stake conference.

My biggest pet peeve - children fussing, crying, or even acting up and the parents are allowing it or weakly protesting their behavior in church. One Sunday, this happened and I politely turned to the mother who was oblivious to her son running up and down the aisle with his car and causing such a distraction and asked "would you mind if I took your son out or would you like to take him out so that others can hear the speaker?" She got offended and walked out, dragging dear old son in tow. Didn't see her back at church after that.

While i actually enjoy going to LDS services now and then i still find them chaotic compared to Catholic Mass. I always liked the kinda sacred silent feeling I had in Mass growing up. Might have only been the parishes i grew up in but once you entered it never seemed like there were any distractions or any noise that didn't belong.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this on this forum, but I will admit, I used to hold my little baby and pinch her on the back of her leg to get her squirming so I can escape sacrament meeting when it got overly boring.

Then mom caught on and would give me extreme dirty looks. Even when it wasn't my fault.

Yea, I'm low.

What's amazing is how many people actually know the words to not only the 1st verse but all 4 verses if applicable. But they will keep their head buried in the hymn book.

I've been a ward music leader and chorister. While I did my best to speed up the hymns to those that should be sung "joyously" you also need an organist that doesn't keep their head buried in the hymnbook and can look up and follow a chorister. More than not it's the chorister having to follow the organist.

That reminds me of this:

My biggest pet peeve - children fussing, crying, or even acting up and the parents are allowing it or weakly protesting their behavior in church. One Sunday, this happened and I politely turned to the mother who was oblivious to her son running up and down the aisle with his car and causing such a distraction and asked "would you mind if I took your son out or would you like to take him out so that others can hear the speaker?" She got offended and walked out, dragging dear old son in tow. Didn't see her back at church after that.

There's one particular family in my ward that is quite guilty of this. Moms have an ability to just tune their kids out when they get fussy -- especially when there's not a good reason for the fussiness (and it's understandable that they do tune them out), but they seem to forget that not everyone else can tune their kids out, too.

What's amazing is how many people actually know the words to not only the 1st verse but all 4 verses if applicable. But they will keep their head buried in the hymn book.

I know the words to most verses of most hymns that are sung regularly, but I still pay attention to the hymnal because I try to follow the music. I know the basic tune, but I'm really off-key in general, so I try to focus on the music notes and follow them.

I've been a ward music leader and chorister. While I did my best to speed up the hymns to those that should be sung "joyously" you also need an organist that doesn't keep their head buried in the hymnbook and can look up and follow a chorister. More than not it's the chorister having to follow the organist.

When I was the Ward Music Director, I was blessed with organists who knew to follow me, and not the other way around. It made a nice difference.

I thought we were always encouraged to hold book up while singing and watch chorister???

When I was the Ward Music Director, I was blessed with organists who knew to follow me, and not the other way around. It made a nice difference.

This reminds me of when I was in my ward YW presidency, and we did a mutual activity teaching the girls how to lead music. I asked them "Who decides how fast or slow a hymn is sung: the pianist or the choristor?" They all pointed at the pianist. I quickly corrected that way of thinking. :P

Okay, I should probably share one of my pet peves:

Why does *every* talk (at least in my ward) have to start with the speaker saying how much they wish they didn't have to give a talk? They'll talk about how they got "trapped" by the Bishop, or how they wish they were down in the pews instead of giving the talk. It just always seems like such an inappropriate way to begin what it is supposed to be a spiritual address. I know lots of people hate public speaking, but could they "grin and bear it" perhaps?

Okay, I should probably share one of my pet peves:

Why does *every* talk (at least in my ward) have to start with the speaker saying how much they wish they didn't have to give a talk? They'll talk about how they got "trapped" by the Bishop, or how they wish they were down in the pews instead of giving the talk. It just always seems like such an inappropriate way to begin what it is supposed to be a spiritual address. I know lots of people hate public speaking, but could they "grin and bear it" perhaps?

In my ward every talk begins with a life history. We have a transient ward, and get a new crop of grad students and medical residents in every summer, and so every talk is an introduction to the family, where the spouses are each from, how they met, who their kids are, and what brought them to the ungodly place where they live now.

I always disliked being asked to sit in the first few rows by the pulpit. My last ward was a smaller one outside of Utah, and people would naturally spread out for Priesthood meeting, until the bishop told everyone to come up. I was really uncomfortable not having the personal space to myself, and I sometimes just waited outside.

Another peeve would be being told that I need to be in the meetings when I'm not. Anything where someone in a position of authority thought something I was doing was improper, when it wasn't hurting anyone. I always enjoyed singing the hymns, but my brother didn't, and I wonder if being pushed to do so isn't part of the reason he preferred to sit out in the foyer too.

Jenamarie, I hear you! Once I was surprised to see my name in the bulletin as I sat down. A bishopric member had approached me the week before asking if I would be willing to speak sometime in the next couple of weeks. When I said I would, he said he'd call me. He didn't.

I gave a talk (thank goodness for my scriptures and my friend's copy of True to the Faith!) and never once let on that it was on the fly. :D AND I didn't waste time telling the story of how I met my husband, either.

Then again, I don't mind giving a talk, so I probably wouldn't have mentioned Caller ID or being cornered or any such nonsense in the first place.

1. Gospel Doctrine;

a. teacher poses a question, the answer to which everyone in the room knows

b. everyone knows it only requires a few words at most to explain why

c. The one person who answers is the ward Scriptorian, who either feels the need to connect the issue with every other doctrinal point in the scirptures, or is merely unable to stop himself/herself from "Sharing all things with [them] from the beginning down to the present time."

c. (alternate) the only person who answers is the ward Political Analyst (all party affiliations apply)

1. Gospel Doctrine;

c. The one person who answers is the ward Scriptorian, who either feels the need to connect the issue with every other doctrinal point in the scirptures, or is merely unable to stop himself/herself from "Sharing all things with [them] from the beginning down to the present time."

c. (alternate) the only person who answers is the ward Political Analyst (all party affiliations apply)

Well, first of all, you have two "c"s. :) That aside, I would add another infuriating option.

c. No one answers!!!!!

c. No one answers!!!!!

Actually, it's more annoying if someone does answer but with some made up Joseph Smith quote as proof of some doctrine of Satan ain't all that bad, just misunderstood which had nothing to do with the question in the first place.