Is it possible to say "I love you" too much? If so, what are the consequences?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too soon, just too much or too often. I don't really have an opinion on it, so naturally I'm wondering what yours are. Also, before anyone asks, this isn't an issue for me. lol. I'm just the data collector.

I imagine impact may diminish if it is crazily over used, I imagine mostly because sincerity could diminish or at least be perceived to diminish if you are saying "I love you" to each other every 5 minutes and it becomes rote. For instance a "Luv ya babe" as you head out the door is different than looking her in the eyes and saying "I love you", and if you are doing it every 5 minutes I imagine you'd tend towards the former. But every couple is different and the stages of the relationship change things, during the infatuation stage you could probably stare into each others eyes and just confess your love for each other every 5 minutes without it getting old. After 25 years of marriage? Probably not so much.

Edited by Dravin

If said with sincerity you can't say it too much.

I say it to the kids and the kids say it to me at least 10 times a day. In addition, I say it to my husband and him back to me everytime we hang up the phone... so that's at about 15 times or so a day...

I say it to my parents after every conversation, etc. etc. etc.

No, it doesn't get old. Just like it doesn't get old to thank Heavenly Father 5 times a day...

Guest jengilbrat

I don't think you can say it too much, as long as it is sincere and all. Unless it becomes, sorta creepy stalker-ish.....then I guess it could be sincere and scary all at once....ok, never mind.

Guest Alana

I suppose it could begin to be seen as a way to be told "I love you" in return and to feel loved rather than expressing ones love. If I were to say it about 3 times more often than I do, my husband wouldn't doubt I love him in general, or at the moment that I was saying it, but he might start to think I was saying it just to say it, not because I'm thinking about how much I actually love him.

Nope. You can only say it too little.

I dunno. Saying it to women/men other than your spouse* could potential qualify as saying it too much. ;)

* Excluding of course things like friends and family, I'm talking romantically.

Edited by Dravin

Eh, I think that trying to reserve it only for the most special occasions is even worse than overuse.

It brings to mind an episode of "The King of Queens" in which the couple were chatting on the phone. The phone call ended with half-hearted "love ya". Immediately, the husband called back and gave his wife the idea of cutting back on "I love yous" with the idea that it might make it more meaningful. They agreed on this and then gave each other heartfelt "I love yous"... and then once again ended the phone conversation with rote "love ya".

One of my old boyfriends used to tell me he loved me, I thought way too much. And I felt smothered. Years later I found out that he has bi-polar issues that he wasn't aware of at the time we were dating. So maybe he meant it at the time, but it was too much for me. I thought I loved him too, but because of feeling so overwhelmed with his love, and I don't mean the physical, I ended the relationship. His love almost scared me.

After my daughter died in a car accident, our family is much more verbal in our show of affection. Also, there are a lot more hugs. Whenever anyone goes out the door, we always tell each other "I love you". And we mean it. I didn't get the chance to tell my daughter "Good-bye, I love you" before she left on her trip when the accident happened. And eight years later I still regret it. Silly of me, I know. I was working. But still, the regret is there.

I'm with Alana on this one. If you're saying it spontaneously, that's one thing. If you're saying it only because you want to hear it back, it's needy and a little manipulative. If a person doesn't feel like he's hearing it enough, he should just come out and say so.

A friend and I have this running joke - a relative of hers does the manipulative "I love you." Every now and then, one of us will burst out with, "I love you... ... ... I said, I LOVE YOU."