Will religion die out?

Canuck Mormon

I found this article on CNN this morning claiming that religion will die out in 9 countries.

Organized religion 'will be driven toward extinction' in 9 countries, experts predict – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

It is following a trend in society to not be affiliated with any religion.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Canuck Mormon
Corrected link

Doctrine and Covenants 65:2

2 The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth, and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled the whole earth

In what sense? You sure you want to interpret this literally?

HiJolly

Doctrine and Covenants 65:2

2 The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth, and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled the whole earth

Absolutely until the propeht lets us know otherwise.

Note that the OP and the article referenced have nothing to do with the LDS Church, but are speaking rather of religion in general.

As I read through the article, I came to the conclusion that it doesn't mean that religion will die out, but that people will no longer affiliate with religions as they have in the past. Some people will even deny that they are a religious person. Some will turn their backs on their religion. They stated the Ireland stats and although it was only 4% unaffiliated, it was a big jump from when they first kept track of religion.

It is becoming cool to not be religious, and that, to me, is alarming.

I read the article in the link.

I believe it is highly unlikely that organized religions will cease to exist in the countries named in the article. And I doubt it matters how much time passes.

As long as the governments allow religions to be officially organized, there the LDS church will be and no matter how unpopular it becomes to say one goes to church every Sunday and is a member of the church many faithful members will have no problem saying they are active members.

Whoever did this is trying to put a mathematical formula to peoples beliefs and in my opinion you can't do that.

I think it's quite possible. Many in and out of many organized religions view them as corrupt and somewhat power hungry and over reaching. More and more seem to be keeping the faith but throwing aside the bloated organizations they feel are no longer serving the greater good. While there might be some who might be motivated by the things he suggests I'm really doubtful those are the main reasons we are seeing shifts from the affiliation with organized religion we used to see vs where we are now. I would suggest better and more accurate information being available to the masses is part of the reason, and the fact the fear of questioning the churches has died down quite a bit, no longer revering the institution with the same level as revering the deity.

We are told that as long as the people of this counrty (US) worship the God of this land who is Jesus Christ it will remain free ... free, not free of problems ... that is why it is so vital for all Christians no matter what denomination to invite others to come to Christ without the pressure ... the GA have told us that anything that brings people to Christ is of value. Even though the artilce did not specifially mention our church I still go with the promises made concerning it's longevity.

I read the article in the link.

I believe it is highly unlikely that organized religions will cease to exist in the countries named in the article. And I doubt it matters how much time passes.

As long as the governments allow religions to be officially organized, there the LDS church will be and no matter how unpopular it becomes to say one goes to church every Sunday and is a member of the church many faithful members will have no problem saying they are active members.

Whoever did this is trying to put a mathematical formula to peoples beliefs and in my opinion you can't do that.

There will always be religious groups around and the trend to not affiliate with them, will eventually plateau. However, this is showing this trend for people further away from their religious background and to more of a secular belief. How long before we become the persecuted and taunted (I mean all religions)? I see some of that starting now, but it will only get stronger. How long before basic rights and freedoms are taken away from those who are religious? It is a disturbing trend to say the least.

There will always be religious groups around and the trend to not affiliate with them, will eventually plateau. However, this is showing this trend for people further away from their religious background and to more of a secular belief. How long before we become the persecuted and taunted (I mean all religions)? I see some of that starting now, but it will only get stronger. How long before basic rights and freedoms are taken away from those who are religious? It is a disturbing trend to say the least.

Sure it is a disturbing trend. It will not surprise me if the trend continues but it will not go so far to make organized religions extinct or near extinct.

People affiliated with religions will be persecuted more and more as time passes and it is possible that governments will take away religious rights. I doubt any of that will stop many faithful from having religious meetings and openly declaring their religion.

I don't believe religion will ever be extinct. Although people that affiliate themselves with a religion is dwindling in Europe. I believe that this is what the scriptures indicate. People (who believe in Christ) will have to flee to Zion (The American Continent) at some point. Faith in Jesus Christ will never be extinct on this Earth.. the Lord will NEVER allow that to happen.

I don't think religion in general will become extinct, even if people decide not to go to a building to practice their beliefs. If other governments decided to openly persecute a religion by killing believers, there will be plenty of people who would be willing to become martyrs. It's what has happened in the past, and in some cases, it still happens today.

Of course, I don't know, but I think it is an interesting article and an interesting thought experiment to conceptualize of a world without religion. When you think of all of the religious explanations for phenomena that have had to capitulate to the scientific understanding of phenomena, perhaps it is just the natural order?

I found this article on CNN this morning claiming that religion will die out in 9 countries.

Organized religion 'will be driven toward extinction' in 9 countries, experts predict – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

It is following a trend in society to not be affiliated with any religion.

What are your thoughts?

Only if those countries can keep the LDS church out of them ^.^

The trend is disturbing, and yes, more and more people are leaving religion every day.

However, the prophecies of God still stand, and I have greater faith in them than one person's study. It is part of human nature to ask questions that science cannot answer; questions science cannot even properly address. How does one quantify how much love they feel for their spouse?

Religion will not die away. It will come and go, just like any other aspect of human society, but it will never disappear alltogether.

Some examples of failed predictions:

"It will be years --not in my time-- before a woman will become Prime Minister."

--Margaret Thatcher, October 26th, 1969.

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”

--Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

“That virus [HIV] is a pussycat.”

--Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, 1988,

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy."

--Associates of Edwin L. Drake refusing his suggestion to drill for oil in 1859.

“A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth’s atmosphere.”

--New York Times, 1936.

"Reagan doesn’t have that presidential look."

--United Artists Executive, rejecting Reagan as lead in 1964 film The Best Man

“Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.”

--Dr Dionysys Larder (1793-1859)

“Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.”

--Lord Kelvin, 1895.

"There will never be a bigger plane built."

--A Boeing engineer, after the first flight of the 247, a twin engine plane that holds ten people.

"Ours has been the first [expedition], and doubtless to be the last, to visit this profitless locality."

---- Lt. Joseph Ives, after visiting the Grand Canyon in 1861.

"If excessive smoking actually plays a role in the production of lung cancer, it seems to be a minor one."

--W.C. Heuper, National Cancer Institute, 1954.

source: 15 Failed Predictions about the Future - Oddee.com (failed future predictions)

Some examples of failed predictions:

"It will be years --not in my time-- before a woman will become Prime Minister."

--Margaret Thatcher, October 26th, 1969.

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”

--Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

“That virus [HIV] is a pussycat.”

--Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, 1988,

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy."

--Associates of Edwin L. Drake refusing his suggestion to drill for oil in 1859.

“A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth’s atmosphere.”

--New York Times, 1936.

"Reagan doesn’t have that presidential look."

--United Artists Executive, rejecting Reagan as lead in 1964 film The Best Man

“Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.”

--Dr Dionysys Larder (1793-1859)

“Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.”

--Lord Kelvin, 1895.

"There will never be a bigger plane built."

--A Boeing engineer, after the first flight of the 247, a twin engine plane that holds ten people.

"Ours has been the first [expedition], and doubtless to be the last, to visit this profitless locality."

---- Lt. Joseph Ives, after visiting the Grand Canyon in 1861.

"If excessive smoking actually plays a role in the production of lung cancer, it seems to be a minor one."

--W.C. Heuper, National Cancer Institute, 1954.

source: 15 Failed Predictions about the Future - Oddee.com (failed future predictions)

These quotes are too cool, thank you.

I'm sorry to say, but there is a part of me that wouldn't care too much if organized religion did die out in some areas. For many, religion is a social thing. Many claim religion for little more than family or tradition or habit, yet many still claim to believe in God and have other serious spiritual beliefs. To me, as long as that stays, we can't be too badly off.

But as for being "uncool" to be religious, that's a sad thought and I already see it. Then again, I also see the opposite accusation: people are claiming to be atheist in order to be cool, yet when actually questioned still have many beliefs that don't jive with pure atheism.

I'm sorry, I haven't read all the posts, just the beginning ones. I would like to add my two cent worths. No, I don't believe religion will die out. Also, the Gospel won't die out. The Church has been reestablished and it will survive.

However, if the religion suffers, including the Church, it won't so much be because of what those on the outside say, but what we on the inside say. Members of the Church, and other members of different denominations, whether they be Christian or non-Christian, say or do things to bring more damage to their cause than any outside factor can hope to accomplish. Cruel words, (something I can be guilty of, sadly) and terrible actions done by members speak volumes and give fuel to those who become disgruntled. Oh, it's such pressure at times trying to be a good example. I fail on that most of the time. I know I can do more damage, on the inside of the faith, than any negative outside source.