Would you buy a house with .....

Gwen

a cemetery on the property?

I went and looked at this house, mostly for fun, that has a small family cemetery on the property. So the owner of the house is the owner of the cemetery. There are graves in the cemetery that date back to 1783. It's an old plantation home, beautiful, and the cemetery is in view of the house. The entire place is in disarray and needs a ton of TLC but potential is amazing. It has a room that was added on years after it was built that has stained glass windows. It has a stunning staircase. Like I said it needs a lot of love but there is something about it I'm drawn to. There is just so much history, charm, and romance to it. I took my husband out to look at it and all he saw was the mess and the work it needed. But I can close my eyes and see what is behind the neglect.

I'm not so much really wanting to take on such a project right now as much as enjoying the fantasy of it. Though I would love to one day. So this really is a discussion thread and I'm not making a decision on this..... today. lol

Would you do it? Would you buy a home that came with a cemetery?

Edited by Gwen

Yes! There's just something about cemeteries. When my husband and I are in a different city on vacation, if possible, we like to visit a cemetery. The older it is, the more interesting. It might sound strange, but cemeteries have charm.

M.

This isn't all that uncommon. For many years people used to bury there family on their own property. Here in the south, in many areas, you still have the right to do so. I see no problem with it. I grew up with a cemetery across the road on two sides of our property and it was great for sleep overs. We would use it for fodder for ghost stories and truth and dare.

Now for the fix it up part of this post... One thing to always remember, it will always take twice as long and usually cost twice a much as you think it will to renovate. Doing it yourself is quite rewarding, but doing it while you live there is a monumental chore and takes a lot of discipline. Good luck and be ready for the challenges. ;)

They are very common in the south. I'm used to seeing these old cemeteries next to old churches. They are also often found fenced off in the middle of nowhere on the side of the road.

I find them charming and fascinating but I would worry about how it might potentially impact the kids. Kids have a way of working themselves up over nothing.

No. My bulldogs would tear up the cemetery to get to the bones.. Really, they're like that. They don't care how old or expired the bone/food is. If they can get their paws on it—they'll eat it!

It sounds all fine and dandy. There are only a select few people that would even consider buying this. Think about the resale. You will have a hard time trying to get rid of it. Just my opinion.

I don't know. If just a few random people on a website would have no problem, I'm sure there are a lot more people that wouldn't have a problem with purchasing this property.

If you absolutely love having it, then sure.

But bear in mind that you'll be restricted in what you want to do with the property. As has been mentioned, resale may be tricky. If the locals see a home renovation project as threatening the historical integrity of the cemetery--or, worse yet, defiling the actual graves--you're going to be hating life. That goes double if the cemetery gets itself on the National Register of Historical Places or an analagous state or local listing--life could well become a nightmare of permits and bureaucracies every time you want to lift up a gardening spade.

Oooohhh, not me! I can't even buy a house that somebody died in...

I'd always be jumpy at every groan and creek of the house thinking "I see dead people"!

I can tell you for a fact, none of my family will buy it either. They're a superstitious lot. My dad doesn't even have life insurance because it is too closely related to death!

Where is it? I'm ready to sign the papers. It sounds perfect.

It's on 41 acres with a pond. 10 min. from "town" (I only say it like that because folks from a big city don't see it as a real town, but it is we have a walmart super center lol). They are asking $149,000.

I'd always be jumpy at every groan and creek of the house thinking "I see dead people"!

I can tell you for a fact, none of my family will buy it either. They're a superstitious lot. My dad doesn't even have life insurance because it is too closely related to death!

Oddly, I wouldn't want to buy a house someone died it. Or should I say was killed in, quietly died in sleep from old age is ok. But I'm ok with the cemetery. lol go figure.

If you absolutely love having it, then sure.

But bear in mind that you'll be restricted in what you want to do with the property. As has been mentioned, resale may be tricky. If the locals see a home renovation project as threatening the historical integrity of the cemetery--or, worse yet, defiling the actual graves--you're going to be hating life. That goes double if the cemetery gets itself on the National Register of Historical Places or an analagous state or local listing--life could well become a nightmare of permits and bureaucracies every time you want to lift up a gardening spade.

This does concern me. When you walk through the woods you can find scattered graves (If I had to guess, slaves that were not allowed to be buried with the family?). So yes you would have to be careful with every move you made. At the same time, if the laws weren't stupid and in the way all the time I find that to be half the adventure. lol

Edited by Gwen

I wouldn't mind at all. Really, it's just dead bodies. I worry more about bodies with spirits giving me a hard time aka the living. I'd be ok with a house where someone was killed also. I'd rather live in a house out in the boonies where someone was killed then live next door to someone who abuses their family. Not that you have to choose, just saying, that would bother me a lot more.

Anatess, have your Bishopric & Husband bless & consecrate the home.

When Husband and I married we lived in his home that his Meth addict brother had been living in for six years. All the hate, lust, evil, etc. that this sibling dredged up from the pits of Hades still lingered there. At first we just prayed and banished the adversary- but this only worked for a little while. One of the men at church said to go one step higher and consecrate our home. Of course it worked. Also, of course, during the course of our living IN the world we would bring home anger/angst, but prayer to banish the evils worked.

When I found this home here in Oregon, I never felt any evil living here. This home apparently has always had happiness in it. Husband and our Home Teachers still blessed and consecrated it.