Was Jesus Married?

Fascism

As we all know, it is a sacred covenant that we must be sealed in the temple to achieve the highest level of the celestial kingdom, but I am curious, was Jesus sealed with one or more wives and did he have children? It doesn't mention it in the new testament, but what is the LDS doctrine on the issue?

Posted Image

There is no official doctrine on the topic. But I think logic points to Jesus being married. Fortunately, our salvation is not dependent on this issue, so, although we may speculate, if a revelation came from Heaven one way or another, we would not be shaken in our faith.

I believe that he was, and although there is no written documentation it still may be assumed.

Jesus was both Jewish by birth heritage and also the intregal part of the restoration of the church. Both the cultires and the religions of Judiasm and Latter Day Saints have a very strong emphasis on marriage so I believe he was married. To whom or how many woves I do not know, but I agree with bytebear, it has no bearing on our faith or our salvation.

*shrug* If we go by the picture you post, then we can establish a) that Jesus was married and b) that Palestine of the first century c.e. enjoyed a surfeit of attractive blondes with distinctly European features.

The middle east two thousand years ago and thousands of years before, was majority European, especially blonde people. The Persian empire and Egypt is known for having many blonde and red haired kings/Pharaohs.

The modern day "jews" living in Israel today, are actually from the Khazar empire, a Turkish country that converted to Judaism in the middle ages.

So yes ancient jews as well as arabs were blonde and brunette with European features.

*shrug* If we go by the picture you post, then we can establish a) that Jesus was married and b) that Palestine of the first century c.e. enjoyed a surfeit of attractive blondes with distinctly European features.

Or that the celestial kingdom is located in Scandinavia.

I find the "logical" arguments for the Savior being married largely unconvincing. They run to the effect of:

A: Christ is exalted

B: D&C 131 says that we must enter into the New and Everlasting Covenant to attain exaltation.

C: Since Christ is exalted, He must have entered into the New and Everlasting Covenant.

Let's apply this argument to another teaching.

A: Christ followed all the commandments

B: According to the Word of Wisdom, we are commanded not to drink alcohol.

C: Since Christ followed all the commandments, He never drank alcohol.

The obvious flaw in the logic is that the Word of Wisdom wasn't revealed until the 1900 years after Christ's death. We have no credible, documented evidence that Christ was expected to live by that commandment. In fact, it would seem very likely that Christ did indeed consume alcohol on occasion (apologists notwithstanding).

So the question that has to be answered is, are all men who lived in all periods of history expected to live by the same exact commandments as we know them now in order to obtain exaltation?

Was the commandment to receive the New and Everlasting Covenant (revealed in the 1830's) in force 2000 years ago? If you wish to answer yes, please provide documentation.

We can also delve into other questions that muddy the waters. Who gave the commandment to enter into the New and Everlasting Covenant? Is it a requirement imposed by the Father, or is it a requirement imposed by the Son? While the answer my technically be "both," (due to the collaborative nature of the two) it is relevant to ponder if the requirements was placed as an entrance requirement to celestial glory or as a qualifier for accessing the Atonement.

Notice also, that Christ didn't need to be baptized, at least not in the same sense that we need to. He was commanded to be baptized to set the example, to lead us toward baptism. But baptism is not a condition of exaltation--it is a condition of salvation.

Or we can start asking questions of a more freaky nature. If we assume that Christ had to be half mortal and half God so that he would have the capacity to overcome death, what does that mean for any of his offspring? Does the immortal component of that heritage get diluted? Does it survive? Were there descendants of Christ that could have overcome death if they lived appropriately? What does it mean for a child to be 1/4 God?

Could Christ have been married? Sure. Did He have to be? Probably not. Was He? I don't know.

But on the merits of the logic, I find the possibility that he wasn't as equally plausible (if not more) than the possibility that he was.

The middle east two thousand years ago and thousands of years before, was majority European, especially blonde people. The Persian empire and Egypt is known for having many blonde and red haired kings/Pharaohs.

The modern day "jews" living in Israel today, are actually from the Khazar empire, a Turkish country that converted to Judaism in the middle ages.

So yes ancient jews as well as arabs were blonde and brunette with European features.

Reference?

As we all know, it is a sacred covenant that we must be sealed in the temple to achieve the highest level of the celestial kingdom, but I am curious, was Jesus sealed with one or more wives and did he have children? It doesn't mention it in the new testament, but what is the LDS doctrine on the issue?

Posted Image

there isn't any proof either way. people in and out of the church have argued both sides.

One of the more interesting points I heard was that the pharisees and sadducees never in the bible harped on him for not being married.

Guest saintish

He won't be responding.

however that may be, I cant resist putting my 2 cents in.

I will address both sides of the argument and you can make your own decision since there is no official stance in the church.

(pro married Jesus): one can reference scriptures requireing marriage for exaltation, jewish culture, and Anecdotal evidence. and the beauty in LDS theology is that if jesus was married it doesnt lessen any of our beliefs, a married Jesus is completely compatable with LDS theology.

(anti married Jesus): Does the Holy Ghost have a wife? or a body both things required for godhood, If the Holy Ghost can attain godhood with out a body certianly Jesus can do it without a wife.

Personally I lean toward the Married Jesus but i wont be terribly upset if I find out he is not.

Could Christ have been married? Sure. Did He have to be? Probably not. Was He? I don't know.

Could we answer the question; Does Jesus have to be married to be like His Father?

This could allow for the timing of the event to take place after His life here, without having to worry about his genetic makeup during this life.

I think it is reasonable to say that Christ is on the same line of development as all of us if we are on the same line of development as God the Father. If a step is needed for us then it will be needed for him but certainly could have been satisfied by other means than earthly ordinances and at another time. Just like there are many that don't live to the age of accountability that will have all opportunities to receive blessings that come from Eternal marriage, I believe.

Does the Holy Ghost have a wife? or a body both things required for godhood, If the Holy Ghost can attain godhood with out a body certianly Jesus can do it without a wife.

Personally I lean toward the Married Jesus but i wont be terribly upset if I find out he is not.

The Holy Ghost will get a resurrected body at some time in the future from what I understand. When that is who knows.

I believe also that Christ was married. To who? That is unknown and I am glad it is. Look at what the world does to that which is sacred.

There is no official doctrine on it, however many members including those in high places believe He was.

I personally don't believe He was married/sealed while He was here on Earth, but its not going to affect my testimony if I find out He was -- its not important to anyones salvation one was or another on this topic.

Why do I not believe? He was already (a) God when He came to Earth, therefore (IMHO) He already had fulfilled that requirement before he came here.

Just my PERSONAL opinion and as I said there is no DOCTRINE either way.

To me there is no doubt that He was/is married/sealed IMHO to fulfill all rightousness-- just where did that happen is what I would question.

And in terms of salvation or exaltation - it doesn't matter one bit what the answer turns out to be.

My 2 cents and worth every penny you paid to hear it. :D

Guest saintish

Why do I not believe? He was already (a) God when He came to Earth, therefore (IMHO) He already had fulfilled that requirement before he came here.

Having a body is also a requirement but the Holy Ghost dosent have one.

My naive and romantic inclinations tend to lead me to think he was married to Mary. She was his best friend, and who was the first person who he appeared to after his death? Mary, who was weeping next to his empty tomb. I just like to think so. :)

Goodness me, I'm the same way. Would never get up and give a talk on as much and probably wouldn't care one or the other on this, but it's a nice thought.

The full nature of the Holy Ghost has not been publicly revealed. I daresay the vast majority of people really have no good idea exactly who or what the Holy Ghost is. So making statements about what the Holy Ghost "has" or "does not have" is speaking beyond our collectively revealed knowledge.

Was going to comment but Vort beat me to it.

Besides - The content of this whole thread is pure speculation that has nothing to do with anyones salvation.

Guest saintish

The full nature of the Holy Ghost has not been publicly revealed. I daresay the vast majority of people really have no good idea exactly who or what the Holy Ghost is. So making statements about what the Holy Ghost "has" or "does not have" is speaking beyond our collectively revealed knowledge.

Not really, I think scripture has made it quite clear that the Father and Son have bodies of fleash and bone, but not the Spirit.

"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us." D&C 130:22

so if we can say nothing else about the Spirit, we can say that he does not have a body.