Mental swearing

HEthePrimate

Should I feel guilty if I think a swear word, but don't actually utter it?

I have this problem.

Especially when talking about language in church I'll start thinking of swear words...

thing is there just words right? I mean I could be thinking "toothpaste" over and over. I do the same thing when we talk about sins in church. I'll suddenly think of all of my worst sins. I've repented of them but still I have trouble not thinking about it. I suppose my thought process is odd....

If I just think it randomly I don't feel guilty. If I think it because I'm angry, mad ect and I want to express myself with the word then i feel guilty. :)

Christ taught that in old times, the law was to not commit adultery. But in his Gospel even thinking lustfully after a woman was a sin.

Clearly our thoughts are important in the mind of Christ. Thoughts lead to actions, and if thoughts are not restrained, the action will happen eventually.

Having said that, so long as it's just in our thoughts, we can pray for help to control them and take the sacrament to obtain forgiveness. If it's a constant problem, speaking with the bishop may be an option, depending on the individual.

It's been made clear in other threads that we can't always control an initial thought. The consensus seems to be (where lust is concerned) that if the initial thought pops into your head and you deal with it and dismiss it then you are acting correctly, if you dwell on it then it's not ok.

Could the same be said for swearing (especially if you had a swearing problem in the past)? You get hurt and the word slips in your mind but you gain control and it doesn't come out then you are ok. If you let it out and add 10 more to it then......

And lizzy, your thought process might be odd but not for the reason you stated here. It's pretty common to immediately think of something when you've been told not to. You see jokes about it on tv all the time, the old "don't look down" so the person looks down.

Being tempted is not a sin. Acting or dwelling upon the temptation does become a sin.

So, if Satan placed a swear word in your head, but you did not act upon it, then you should not feel guilty over it. You overcame the temptation to use it or to continually dwell on it.

I think its just as important to learn to control our thoughts as it is our actions. Its definitely harder to do.

I think we do our best and then reply on the Spirit to take us the rest of the way. I used to have a couple of favorite expletives when I was younger. I didn't want to continue to say them and I didn't want to even think them because eventually they would come out of my mouth. It took some time but I rarely even think them anymore even when in a situation that would trigger the bad language. I didn't even realize I wasn't thinking them until I was placed in a situation that would have triggered the bad language and it suddenly dawned on me that my first thought was a big sigh and not &$#^ $@*&! Its not my efforts alone that made it possible to not even think them. It was the atonement.

Being tempted is not a sin. Acting or dwelling upon the temptation does become a sin.

So, if Satan placed a swear word in your head, but you did not act upon it, then you should not feel guilty over it. You overcame the temptation to use it or to continually dwell on it.

So if I think a word but don't act or dwell on it, I'm ok. But if I think a word and then start a thread to discuss the matter, I am thereby dwelling on it, and that's a sin! :lol:;)

Depends, are you dwelling on the word or the fact that you have a weakness for bad words? You have to focus on the weakness long enough to effectively over come it (thus the thread, so I thought). If you started the thread so you could think about and mentally say the word over and over.... hummm lol

We're not robots. So having certain thoughts or emotions will happen. I agree with those that have said it's equally as important to control our minds as it is our bodies. And yes, the initial can be a lot harder than the latter but I don't think it should be brushed off as a "nothing".

I think feeling a certain degree of remorse after having a negative thought is at least a sign that you know what you are thinking isn't good for you. Recgonising that and then making an effort after to try to avoid repeating it in the future, is a first step.

The problem with thinking a swear word, is that it will eventually slip out. Like when you are in the car, and someone cuts you off, and the word just slips out because you've thought it already, and your 13 year old son says, "So, Mom. You just decided to swear?!?"

That was the one and only time my son has heard me swear, but (sadly) not the one and only time that I've thought someone in another car was being a donkey....

And, admit it, you all substituted the other word for donkey.... I'm feeding your weakness.

That was the one and only time my son has heard me swear, but (sadly) not the one and only time that I've thought someone in another car was being a donkey....

And, admit it, you all substituted the other word for donkey.... I'm feeding your weakness.

Guilty. BUT... it's not like I SAID IT OUT LOUD! :D

Generally speaking I have no problem with it. I think swearwords.

However, I am one tic away from being diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome and I can get fixated on things if I'm not careful.

In my case, I even try to tone down the mental swearing.

But for everyone else, I see no problem with it.

So does this prove even thinking something that goes against proper conduct is just as bad as the conduct....such as thinking swears but not saying them?

I don't understand this (admittedly common) line of reasoning. Did Jesus suggest that a man committing adultery with a woman "in his heart" was equally as bad as committing adultery with her in his bedroom? His point was quite the opposite: The law requires purity of genitals, but his higher law required purity of thought itself.

No, thinking bad thoughts is not as evil as acting on those bad thoughts. In case this is not self-evident.

I don't understand this (admittedly common) line of reasoning. Did Jesus suggest that a man committing adultery with a woman "in his heart" was equally as bad as committing adultery with her in his bedroom? His point was quite the opposite: The law requires purity of genitals, but his higher law required purity of thought itself.

No, thinking bad thoughts is not as evil as acting on those bad thoughts. In case this is not self-evident.

I've never quite understood it either, but have had it quoted to me time and again so was just wondering if applying it to a scenario that isn't quite as hot button as lust might open up a little more exploration.