Is our food storage safe

pooter1

I read a last summer that was called 10 seconds or 15 seconds.I can't remember.The book was about an EMP that happened.This man and his family did not have food storage and he went and got (what was left) food in the grocery stores. Martial law was put in place and the police went to every home and gathered all the food storage they had and all the water they had.There was a central place in town where you would go to get your food and water.The police decided how much you needed and what was dispersed.Could this happen? Should we hide our food storage? Will the church do this if the police don't? What do you think?

Good point. One might say that firearms are an essential part of food storage. That way you could provide for your family by hunting. And of course self defense.

But if you read the recently popular fiction book Dies the Fire and the laws of physics change after a world wide event such that electricity and gunpowder stop working we are really hosed.

I read a last summer that was called 10 seconds or 15 seconds.I can't remember.The book was about an EMP that happened.This man and his family did not have food storage and he went and got (what was left) food in the grocery stores. Martial law was put in place and the police went to every home and gathered all the food storage they had and all the water they had.There was a central place in town where you would go to get your food and water.The police decided how much you needed and what was dispersed.Could this happen? Should we hide our food storage? Will the church do this if the police don't? What do you think?

Will the Church forcibly make you share your food storage? I find that doubtful.

But if you read the recently popular fiction book Dies the Fire and the laws of physics change after a world wide event such that electricity and gunpowder stop working we are really hosed.

If the laws of physics change, we might all gain superpowers. Or our atoms might drift apart completely, disintegrating the universe. Regardless, we wouldn't be in that much trouble. ;)

Good point. One might say that firearms are an essential part of food storage. That way you could provide for your family by hunting. And of course self defense.

Well if we lived on teh world of the "Well of Souls" that might be an issue...

Time to pull out the ye olde repeating crossbow :P

Not that the church would force us to give them our food but would this be part of The law of consecration?There will be those that do not have food storage what do we do with them?

mikbone,Im gonna check that book out!

The Church would not force us, however being requested or reminded to share with those less fortunate is totally possible- i'd say its rather likely.

If the laws of physics change, we might all gain superpowers. Or our atoms might drift apart completely, disintegrating the universe. Regardless, we wouldn't be in that much trouble. ;)

True, but it wouldn't make for a good post-apocalyptic fiction plot. Disabling electricity and gunpowder would throw our society back into the bronze age. No iphone, no playstation or DirecTV, can you imagine the horrors?!

The author of the novel, S. M. Stirling, who I don't believe is LDS. Made a point of commenting about our food storage program.

If society started to get ugly because of a natural global catastrophe, world war, or some other event. How much upheaval would it take to completely disable our ability to fill up unleaded at the local quickie mart? Look at what happened in New Orleans during Katrina.

If that was the case, firearms (and the knowledge of how to use them) would be an essential part of maintaining your food storage.

Edited by mikbone

I prefer reading D&C 122, especially verse 8. I don't know why but it gives me comfort in the face of people stealing my food and possessions and perhaps even my life. It also makes me want to be more charitable towards others, and if the Church wants my stuff they can have it.

True, but if push came to shove, I would probably follow the prophet.

Joseph Smith/Martyrdom/Joseph fired a gun - FAIRMormon

Edited by mikbone

I would follow the prophet also I would trust him and have faith with whatever he told us but can you even imagine the break down in society without cell phones,computers,without cable tv,without cars etc... seriously we are so spoiled I think people would go crazy!! Not everyone is going to follow the prophet out of panic.I wonder if we will be warned ahead of time.Not about food storage(we have been warned for years about that) but what to do during with whatever we might have to go through.

Follow the prophet and honor your temple covenants ... endure to the end and do it well. After that not much else matters ... it isn't going to be easy but looking to the eternal makes any sacrifice worth it.

When teaching a RS lesson once I asked the question .. If the Bishop walked in the room right now and said Sister X please pack your family and head to Missouri would you do it? I was shocked at how many said no that they would need more information. For me my answer was How long do I have to pack!

I follow the what the Prophets have taught us, but in the end and against a mob, even being armed and shooting didn't save Joseph. His days, just like our days are numbered. We can not add one more day to our or our children's, families lives. Regardless of how prepared we are. Yes we are commanded to be prepared and should in all cases do that. But after all the work we can do and all preparation we can do, we can only be saved in this world and in the next by the Atonement. That is why D&C 122 verses 8 & 9 are so important. Even though 'the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good'....therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

We can do what we need to do, prepare all we can. And then we need to put away our fears, if we have done what the prophets have commanded. Because the worst they can do is kill us and our children for our food. That's it, that's the worst they can do. Call me crazy but I actually believe that 2000 years ago Christ won this war, so if they rape and murder me, he's been through worse...and won. So the worst they can do to me is kill me....I'm going to die anyway, my days are numbered, I can choose to live in fear and let that fear destroy my faith or I can prepare as best as I can and have faith in some one who has descended below them all...and I am not greater than he.

Here is the first paragraph when you go to "home storage" on the (brand new) provident living site...

Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others."

If you look to the right you will see three talks emphasized, one of which is by Bishop McMullin where he says,"A cardinal principle of the gospel is to prepare for the day of scarcity. Work, industry, frugality are part of the royal order of life. Remember these words from Paul: “If any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith...As we do our very best, we can be confident that “the barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail.” 18 We shall enjoy greater wisdom, security, peace of mind, and personal well-being. We shall be prepared, and because we are prepared, we “shall not fear.”"

https://lds.org/family/family-well-being/home-storage?lang=eng

https://lds.org/liahona/2007/05/lay-up-in-store?lang=eng

To me this says that if we obey Heavenly Father's commandment to "prepare every needful thing" we can expect miracles!!!

Edited by lds2

Guest gopecon

With food storage my responsibility is first and foremost to my family. If my family has made the effort to be prepared, am I supposed to let my children starve to help someone who could have prepared themselves? If we truly have no idea where our food will come from for the next few months, am I fulfilling my family responsibilities if I don't defend the resources that we have? I don't pretend to have all of the answers to this hypothetical. I'd be happy to help others if we could - but the issue seems to become cloudy when my kids could face starvation.

I don't want to sound too loony, if my bishop or stake president requested that members with food storage bring it to a central place for distribution, I would sustain my leaders and do so. I just have doubts about giving it away at the point of a gun without any resistance.

Angel333,

Why must we be commanded in all things? Why stand still because the prophet hasn't said anything on some topics? Perhaps we should humbly seek our own guidance. It may be that the Lord will tell us what to do. Or he could tell us that we've prepared enough. Or he could state that we need to focus on spiritual issues, instead. But we don't have to wait on the prophet to figure this out.

Martial law was put in place and the police went to every home and gathered all the food storage they had and all the water they had.There was a central place in town where you would go to get your food and water.The police decided how much you needed and what was dispersed.

If I remember correctly, the authorities in that town basically set up a central 'soup kitchen', and anybody who wanted to partake had to agree to have their homes searched and all food taken. You were free to keep all your stuff as long as you didn't pull from the community resources. And still about 80% of the people died within a year.

Whenever I want to say something like that could never happen here, I always remind myself that it has happened many times in the past - even in recent memory - in places like China. And then there's this:

Too often we bask in our comfortable complacency and rationalize that the ravages of war, economic disaster, famine, and earthquake cannot happen here. Those who believe this are either not acquainted with the revelations of the Lord, or they do not believe them. Those who smugly think these calamities will not happen, that they somehow will be set aside because of the righteousness of the Saints, are deceived and will rue the day they harbored such a delusion.

- "Prepare for the Days of Tribulation," Ensign, Nov. 1980

If some massive thing worked a long-term disruption of the food production/distribution network, then absolutely the stuff in that book could happen. More likely are shorter-term things like local or weather-related disasters, crop failures, trucker strikes, etc.

"Self-reliance" is an excellent buzzword. It means more than a basement full of wheat. It means being able to make a living in various ways, grow food, etc.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

While I would agree with Loumouth's take on self reliance, the fact remains that most of us in the West are anything but.

With the world itself becoming increasingly interdependent, we would have to rely on our families, friends and yes, even the authorities to maintain our very lives.

One would not want to be independent, and in fact the vast majority could not.

I agree with Loudmouth's take on self reliance, but why does that mean we live all alone in a hole in the ground. We are not meant to live solely alone within our own little world. Will there be evil, yes there will be, will there be people who steal our food even if we are armed and defend it, you betcha. But that doesn't mean we live like little gollums hoarding our rings of gold fearful of everyone and everything. If and when the whole of society falls apart, we will try to retain some of our humanity...our Christianity. We can either submit to our natural man instinct or rise above it. Does that mean we just hand over our food and belongings? No it doesn't. But it doesn't mean we sit terrified of everyone else.

Prepare according to what has been asked by the Prophets, do the best you can to do that preparation, that includes temporal and spiritual. We must learn to cook in unconventional manners, that we might not need to shower every day, that we know how to build a fire with out matches, ect....or even how to take a job that is beneath our education and experience to feed our families, or how to live in an apartment instead of a 3000 square foot house and how to walk to work instead of drive.

And mostly that after all we have done and prepared for at some point our faith will have to get us through. Perhaps remembering that the pioneers left everything, houses, land, food stuffs and clothes on the trek to Utah, with nothing more than the word of the Prophet to comfort them. There was no promise of a better job, internet, a good car, lots of food, just a promise that they would live to see a better day and live un-persecuted because of their religion.

All generations have been called upon to make sacrifices, now is our turn. Either we can rise, do what is requested of the Prophets, including helping the poor and service to fellow men (there are three things listed in Provident Living not just Self-Reliance). It will be hard, but if it was easy it wouldn't be worth it.