Risky topic?

PrincessAllie91

I haven't seen it, but know people who have. They say the Mormons actually come out looking pretty good in the story. Perhaps a bit naive, but good-hearted and amiable. It's also supposed to be very funny.

I'm hoping that when the show goes on tour, it comes to the area where I live (I can't afford to travel to NYC right now).

Okay, so I know this might cause some friction, but what did everyone think of 'Book of Mormon: The Musical'?

I'll be honest, I thought it was pretty funny in parts.

If i were forced to choose between watching the book of mormon the musical or something like the godmakers.... Book of mormon the musical wins hands down.

But that would be really the only reason i'd go see it.. or if someone paid a lotta cash to go see it.

Well either way it goes, it puts LDS into a light... and fortuanately it doesnt really go out of its way to criminalise us or make us out to be weird cultist gonzos... so as going for being done by the world and by people who aren't lds, I don't have any big beefs with it other than the language used in it (it does have bad profanity in it, but coming from the crreators of southpark, I would have been surprised otherwise). yes its not ultra accurate about how things work in the church or how things run, and it makes things appear to be funny, but considering generally what kind of flak mormons and lds generally get from outside the church, I can't complain too much, and that its not worth getting into arguments over or getting mad about.

I think it had its moments where its side-splitting, and Elder Price, the main character, is incredibly endearing!

I'd agree that Mormons come out looking pretty good, and for all its obviously satirical, I wouldn't say its genuinely offensive, but that's just my opinion.

Welcome to the LDS faith PrincessAllie91:

The Book of Mormon broadway Hit has made quite the Headline News, probably around the world and I believe people were waiting to see a backlash by the LDS Church but were once again there was none.

This is the message given to the media by the First Presidency of the Church....

"The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scriptures will change peoples lives forever by bringing them closer to God."

This only piqued the interest of those who are looking to find the Church of Jesus Christ and answers to their questions in a troubled world.

Critics and opposition who oppose this work only advertise it. People are always trying to find ways to stop this work from rolling forward and the harder they try the faster the Church grows. They have not yet learned that to critize & oppose this work is to advertise it.

I wouldn't go see this Broadway Hit if someone bought me tickets and plane fair but this is just who I am. We are all different and we do have agency. I always ask myself..."What would Jesus do if He were here? Would he go see this Broadway Show? I know through the Holy Spirit what my answer is and I would do nothing to offend the Savior and His work on earth for He gave His very life for me....for all of His brothers and sisters.

Edited by Rockies
word change

It's hilarious! Awesome, even.

Yes, profanity in it. Miss Saigon had tons of it too. But at least Miss Saigon did not have profanity and God in the same line.

What would Jesus do if He were here? I'm quite sure he won't be posting on lds.net.

I don't mean to offend here, but as I said, I don't think the musical was written to criticise the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with any degree of sincerity, that is, I think it's pretty light-hearted.

While I understand that some people would be offended, I think the musical actually, as you've said, did create some genuine interest in the Church, and surely that's a good thing no matter how it came about?

I did honestly enjoy it, and I think everyone who has seen it realises that LDS isn't actually like that, just like not all orphanages are like the one in 'Annie'. It's a satirical production, it's common sense to assume that it's been exaggerated for entertainment value.

It's a genuinely uplifting musical about friendship, and how much good religion can actually do.

I don't mean to offend here, but as I said, I don't think the musical was written to criticise the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with any degree of sincerity, that is, I think it's pretty light-hearted.

While I understand that some people would be offended, I think the musical actually, as you've said, did create some genuine interest in the Church, and surely that's a good thing no matter how it came about?

I did honestly enjoy it, and I think everyone who has seen it realises that LDS isn't actually like that, just like not all orphanages are like the one in 'Annie'. It's a satirical production, it's common sense to assume that it's been exaggerated for entertainment value.

It's a genuinely uplifting musical about friendship, and how much good religion can actually do.

It wasn't meant to be a criticism at all. If you're familiar with South Park, you might know that Parker and Stone actually have a lot of respect for Mormons having grown up around them in Colorado. South Park has several "Mormon" episodes that ribs Mormons. It's downright funny in a Napoleon Dynamite kind of way.

Parker believes in God but does not belong to a religion, Stone is an atheist. Together they created this musical to kinda give the message that religion is great if you take it for its intentions. They basically summarized it as a "an atheist's love letter to religion" in which they used the LDS church as their medium - because it's the religion they're most familiar with (Stone grew up in a Jewish household but there are already too many Jewish parodies).

What I really liked about what they said on the interview is when the interviewer asked them if they're worried about the backlash from the Church, or picketing and rallies from church members. And they both said, no, from what they know of church members and leaders, they're going to be cool with it and that they have faith in them.

Okay, so I know this might cause some friction, but what did everyone think of 'Book of Mormon: The Musical'?

I'll be honest, I thought it was pretty funny in parts.

Few of us will have seen it, for the reasons LM gives.

Those Latter-day Saints who have seen it will almost uniformly say what a great musical it is, how entertaining and clever, and so forth. If they are willing to financially support a production that openly mocks and makes sport of things they claim to hold sacred, it goes without saying that they want to see it as positive, and want to let everyone else know how open-minded and non-uptight they are in appreciating such a great artistic endeavor.

My opinion of such people is little different from my opinion of the musical itself. I think the two are a matched set and were made for each other. I can sympathize with many a weakness, but I have almost no tolerance for disloyalty.

Edited by Vort
clarification

I listened to the sound track. I found several of the songs terribly offensive. I let my husband listen. We only got through four songs and he was done.

We felt one song in particular was very offensive especially to women. The LDS church holds women in high regard.

Having heard the sound track its is unlikely we will ever go see it.

My only personal knowledge of the musical was a Harry Potter spoof of whichever song has the missionaries ringing all the doorbells.... I didn't even know it was spoofing a song from the musical at first- and ended up looking up the original song to find out what it was about. While I found that particular song a bit amusing, I have no interest in seeing the musical itself.

From its reputation, I'm sure it has its place in popular media, but its one of those things I'd rather avoid- much how shows like The Simpson's are very "artistic" and "educational" with all the creative references to current events and various cultures, but while I appreciate that artistic creativity, it is not something I would personally spend time watching. It falls into that same realm of of things that I consider "well-made" but disappointing- like a movie that was mostly very good, but I ended up walking out of the theater because they used the f-word too much or had too many overt sexual refernces, or... etc.

I don't have a problem with people who watch it and enjoy it, nor do I have a problem with the creators who were just trying to make something enjoyable and humorous. It's just something I deem, for me, "not worth watching".

Ahhh fair enough! I saw it before I knew much about LDS, and it was mentioned in conversation today, so I just thought I'd ask!

I haven't seen it, but I've heard it was hilarious. Not entirely accurate, but hilarious.

My one problem with it is that there's a song dedicated exclusively to cursing God. I figure God can take care of himself, but it does make me uncomfortable and I'm not sure I'd be able to watch it.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard it was hilarious. Not entirely accurate, but hilarious.

My one problem with it is that there's a song dedicated exclusively to cursing God. I figure God can take care of himself, but it does make me uncomfortable and I'm not sure I'd be able to watch it.

Yeah that's right, having learnt more since I saw it, there is a lot of inaccuracy. I never really understood the reason for that song, it doesn't add much to the story, and it did make me cringe. Aside from the excessive profanity, it's a good production! :)

Yeah that's right, having learnt more since I saw it, there is a lot of inaccuracy. I never really understood the reason for that song, it doesn't add much to the story, and it did make me cringe. Aside from the excessive profanity, it's a good production! :)

I loved the South Park episode on the Mormons. Hahah. Made me laugh. In terms of a 'Making fun of the culture of Mormons', I'm a fan of the movie: The RM, or The Singles Ward.

For a more serious treatise, there's a film called Brigham Young: Frontiersman where Joseph Smith was played by Vincent Price. Vincent "Cooler than you" Price! It's black and white, but the acting's fantastic.

I took film in school. Obscure referential films are kind of my thing. ;)

I loved the South Park episode on the Mormons. Hahah. Made me laugh. In terms of a 'Making fun of the culture of Mormons', I'm a fan of the movie: The RM, or The Singles Ward.

For a more serious treatise, there's a film called Brigham Young: Frontiersman where Joseph Smith was played by Vincent Price. Vincent "Cooler than you" Price! It's black and white, but the acting's fantastic.

I took film in school. Obscure referential films are kind of my thing. ;)

I'm not a South Park fan so I haven't seen it, I might YouTube it though!

Oooh cool, that sounds super interesting!

This has got to be the best Book of Mormon Musical spoof ever!

Few of us will have seen it, for the reasons LM gives.

Those Latter-day Saints who have seen it will almost uniformly say what a great musical it is, how entertaining and clever, and so forth. If they are willing to financially support a production that openly mocks and makes sport of things they claim to hold sacred, it goes without saying that they want to see it as positive, and want to let everyone else know how open-minded and non-uptight they are in appreciating such a great artistic endeavor.

My opinion of such people is little different from my opinion of the musical itself. I think the two are a matched set and were made for each other. I can sympathize with many a weakness, but I have almost no tolerance for disloyalty.

Interesting idiotic take, but hey, it's a free country.

I grew up Catholic. I'm used to Hollywood portraying my religion in a non-religious light. The Godfather was a favorite in our family. Here's an example of a scene: A family that is shown as devout Catholic are attending the baptism of their child and interspersed in that scene is the devout Catholic head of the family killing off his rivals... The Book of Mormon Musical is mild compared. But, of course, nobody ever says that those Catholics who are willing to financially support a production that openly mocks and makes sport of things they claim to hold sacred and profess to enjoy it only want to let everyone else know how open-minded and non-uptight they are... and disloyal to boot... when watching The Godfather. Of course, they just merely enjoy a good Italian Mafia mobster shoot 'em up movie...

I haven't seen the production and likely will not but I am betting there'll be more than a few converts deriving from this, from those thinkers who say "What really is this all about?"

Absolutely

At the end of the day I'd say every religion has taken a ribbing at some point.

Some people just seem to take it more seriously than others I think.

There is a difference between "ribbing" and disrespect. There is nothing wrong in speaking out against disrespect. It is often the person NOT of the religion that is being "ribbed" that declares that those of the religion being disrespected are being "too serious". Not their call to make.

I guess I'm idiotic too, because I totally agree with Vort on this one.

So, what's your take on Catholics watching The Godfather?

What's your take on Christians watching Jesus Christ Superstar?

What's your take on Muslims watching The Passion of the Christ?

And if your answer is not the idiotic Vort statement... then tell me... how is Mormons watching the Book of Mormon Musical any different?

There is a difference between "ribbing" and disrespect. There is nothing wrong in speaking out against disrespect. It is often the person NOT of the religion that is being "ribbed" that declares that those of the religion being disrespected are being "too serious". Not their call to make.

There's a roast and there's disrespect. One can say some really uncomfortable things as part of a roast and still mean no disrespect. Of course, the person getting roasted gets to decide when it crosses over the disrespectful line. And yes, the person doing the roasting gets to say the person getting roasted is being too serious. Anybody else are just spectators whose opinions don't matter.