So, how do you baptize someone?

NeuroTypical

Hi there,

I'm baptizing and confirming my daughter tomorrow, and it dawns on me that I don't know the words, or where to find them.

So, um, help? Where are the instructions on the proper procedure to baptize (and confirm)? I can get as far as "Having been commissioned", but then my memory is too fuzzy.

(I'm asking lds.net and also sending an email to my bishop. It's a race to see who answers first!)

I'm so disappointed. Here I thought that was something you guys just all knew instinctively. :)

Oh I wish... It would have saved me from messing up my sons baptism the first time I tried it. I took a lot of time and effort to help him understand and know... then I mess it up. :o

Hey, LM, I'm sure your wife is aware of this, but just in case she is stressed and may forget some things....

1. Bring towel, for both of you.

2. don't wear socks into the font

3. practice tonight (tell her to dip her knees and hold onto you.) If you have your left arm out (raising your right arm), then she can grab your arm with her left arm, put her right hand in your left hand (palm up for her) and when you dunk her, she can use her right hand to hold her nose.

4. if she wants to put her hair up, that's fine--usually use something non-attention grabbing (like regular bobby pins or plain hair bands).

5. make sure you both have clean, dry underwear/garments.

6. bring plastic bags to hold the wet things.

7. not sure how girly your daughter is, but she'll need hair dryer, curling iron, hair brush, comb, etc. I would suggest she have a very easy hairstyle as she will get ready very quickly after the dunking.

8. enjoy the experience!

I am impressed by your Bishop! Ours would have taken a full 24 hours!

Okay, I got some experiences I can share:

1.) Wear something other than just underwear/garments under the jumpsuit. Some of them get sheer when it is wet.

2.) My niece wore her hair in a french braid that goes around her head. She got dunked and all she had to do was tap her hair with the towel, change her clothes, and she was done in 5 minutes flat. She was able to hear all the testimonies that were shared while waiting for her dad to finish getting dressed.

3.) Getting dunked can be scary to an eight-year-old, especially if they're not used to flipping over in the swimming pool. If your daughter has a concern, it might be helpful to get a few practice runs. My sons got baptized in the Atlantic Ocean. Lots of strong swells and shifting sand that can be really distracting. We practiced a few times before the baptismal date just to make sure we can manage the distractions. My husband did excellent - assigned his brother to watch for the waves, give him a signal when one is coming while he concentrates on my son and the ordinance. It was awesome. Both my sons tell me their baptismal weekend is the most memorable time of their lives.

4.) My younger son's baptism had a talk on Baptism then a talk on the Holy Ghost and a musical number thrown in - all given by recently baptized children (his older brother and 2 cousins). My younger son thought it was awesome because they all shared very recent experiences of their own baptisms. I thought it was awesome too, to hear the sweet spirits of the children.

5.) One of my nieces got baptized in her grandparent's ward - 10 hours away from home. They drove out the day before, had some stuff planned to visit some family, and had other plans before and after the baptism. It felt like the baptism became just another thing-to-do today. It kinda lost its importance somewhat in the rumble of activities. I think it would have been better if they reserved the entire day, if not the entire weekend to just concentrate on the baptism itself. My children had the entire week - we took vacation from work, and spent from Monday to Sunday spending time as a family on the beach reflecting on the gospel and the baptismal ordinance. It's probably overkill, but it was really great.

Congratulations to your daughter for reaching this milestone. And may God's blessings be poured over her and your family.

Hey, LM, I'm sure your wife is aware of this, but just in case she is stressed and may forget some things....

2. don't wear socks into the font

Two thoughts...

1. I was eight, and my dad insisted that I wear socks into the font. When I was changing afterwards, I noticed that the bottoms of my socks were completely black. I now know that no one had cleaned the font, but back then I thought maybe it was all my sins being washed out of me & into my socks... Makes for a great story when I was conducting baptisms!

2. Afterward, give your daughter an opportunity to freely share her thoughts on the baptism experience with your family. Sometimes special things happen during the baptism or confirmation, as it did with me. My Dad didn't find out until I was 21, what had happened to me at age 8.

HiJolly

My father and I had to wear socks when I got baptized. I actually wanted to go barefeet in the water. I was standing there ready in the white dress provided by the church (we don't have the overals in my church but white suitable clothes) and a brother in the church asked me then where are your socks? I said I didn't have white socks and that I thought it doesn't really matter if I do or don't wear socks. The brother said well you really do have to wear socks and after a while he handed me a pair of white stockings (no idea where he foud them) I asked if I really had to and he said yes. I don't remember if he said if it had to that it would be slippery without.

In the temple I always get that well known baptism overal with a pair of thick white socks.

As for the words said during baptism I have seen we have a little card sticked out of sight of the people present where the brothers can peek on it reads what has to be said. I also see brothers who have to baptize love this little card since I often see them peek on it and read. But I don't think every church has a little note stuck out of sight to peek on ^^; it's that it's so soon otherwise I would have said well go to your church and check if there is a little peek note with the right words. (I'm calling it peek note I have no idea if this is the right English term for it but I guess every one understands me, right?)

Edit: forgot to add the most important thing: congrats! :D

Edited by LeilaDawn

Nauvoo.com? I used to be on there, long ago. They're still around?

Who are you there? Still LM?

Who were you there? Did I like you? :D I've been there a while, but LM (yes, he's the same there) has been there longer than I. We've at least one other Nauvoo member here on lds.net as well.