The Woolly Mammoth: Coming Soon to a Zoo Near You?

Just_A_Guy

Is that the gestation for elephants? I know it is forever from a mom point of view!

Yep. Elephants gestate for 22 months... but, I don't think anybody knows how long Woolly Mammoths gestate. I'm still not quite sure I understand this cloning process...

Everytime I encounter the word clone, I think of Boys from Brazil. :eek:

Did you watch Jurassic Park, Anatess? Apparently it is something kinda on that line but using elephant genes not frogs! Whew. I am just remembering what my husband was reading of that story so I might be wrong. :)

Yes, I saw Jurassic Park... every one of them (movie freak here) and read the book too. So, remember in Jurassic park, they injected the DNA of the bug to a crocodile ova and then put them in artificial eggs. Well, it's just assumed that we know the size of the eggs of the specific species we are trying to clone... like a T-Rex, I would think would have bigger eggs than a raptor...

Anyway, when it comes to non-oviparous cloning though, the fertilized ova is put inside a surrogate womb. So, like in the Boys from Brazil book, the human clones were put inside the womb of surrogate females.

So, I'm thinking... Woolly Mammoth with an Indian Elephant surrogate mother. Now, my understanding is that Woolly Mammoths are much bigger than an Indian Elephant... so would an Indian Elephant ova with a Woolly Mammoth nuclei produce an Indian Elephant sized fetus? Or will the Mammoth burst out of the elephant like in the movie Alien...

lol maybe they better be thinking of making an artificial womb. Probably they would do a C-Section when the size of the wooly was regular elephant size.

In Jurrasic Park I always wondered how they controlled what dna was used for what dino. If I recall they only took the DNA from one mosquitoj or was it from lots in which case how did they know it was from one animal? They could just as easily been combining not only frog but t-rex with stegosaurus DNA. Which makes me wonder not only how many dinos that bug bit but do mosquitos bite anything besides mammals? I am having trouble seeing them biting reptiles, etc.

At least they are not doing it that way but taking DNA only from wooly fossils. Or so I understand.

Edited by annewandering

I'm curious to try mammoth burger. But I really don't like movies that destroy the supermonster but leaves a case of clones in stasis so there's the possibikity of a sequel. I'd hate to have that happen in real life too.

Dear Science, The mammoth already had his chance in the cage match called life and lost. Don't bring him back for a comeback game - this is one underdog story that does not have a happy ending.

Woolys are just too big. In practical terms they would be disasterous to the environment not to mention small people. They are not whales who are stuck in the water.

If there were lots of them, yes, but in smaller numbers I don't think they would be disastrous. A good case for occasionally killing a few and turning them into burgers! Mmm, mmm! :lol: (Where I live, we have an overabundance of deer, having eliminated their natural predators, and so hunting is encouraged.)

If we could breed them you can just bet that everyone would want their own wooly. None would be sterilized and I dare anyone to stop them from finding mates if they feel the urge. If we cant keep dogs from breeding then imagine trying to stop a beast that huge.

It's bad enough listening to cats in the alley at night, I'd imagine Woolly breeding habits might be more... vigerous. Luckily it's probably a bit hot for them here in So. California.

If we could breed them you can just bet that everyone would want their own wooly. None would be sterilized and I dare anyone to stop them from finding mates if they feel the urge. If we cant keep dogs from breeding then imagine trying to stop a beast that huge.

Actually, it's easier to stop the big ones, both because they need more territory, which we destroy, and because they're easier to kill. Look all the species of large animals we've already brought to the brink of extinction.

Actually, it's easier to stop the big ones, both because they need more territory, which we destroy, and because they're easier to kill. Look all the species of large animals we've already brought to the brink of extinction.

We will see. Thing is once they figure out how to do the mammoths how long before they start to put the others together? I am suspecting it is going to be much easier than the way they are doing it now. A little genetic manipulation and hmmm what do we have now? We have been finding bones of so called pre-man from only about 10k years ago. Are we going to bring them back as well? I am guessing, yes. Of course we will. Where will we stop? Mammoths have an appeal but there are a bunch of those extinct animals that have no appeal at all and are more dangerous than mammoths.

This is always interesting. If there is anyone that does not believe G-ds can exist - science will soon prove that concept obsolete. Evolution is about to take mankind to the next level. The sad thing in my mind is that it seems that on the grand scale (with rare exception) religion in general is devolving and going the opposite direction from science.

The Traveler

I wonder what effect this will have on religion. Especially those that oppose evolution as a possible element of creation. Those that argue that a new species has never resulted from evolution will suddenly be faced with that very fact. In addition it will also be possible to use the same method to plant human DNA in apes and create, a human through evolution that many in religion claim "impossible" and an unacceptable possibility.

And if we claim that G-d would never allow such a thing to happen - what then will we we say if and when it happens?

And another question - will it be murder for a religious bigot to murder a human that they do not believe was created by G-d?

The Traveler