How to keep a toddler still during their blessing?

lydie15

This Sunday my 22 month old daughter is going to be blessed. I know it's nearly 2 years late, but I only started going back to Church regularly at the beginning of this year and haven't organised her blessing until recently. I organised for her blessing to be after Church, in one of the rooms in the Chapel, as I thought it would be more appropriate as she might play up in Sacrament, as she'd be around a bigger group of people.

I'm really concerned as to how I can keep her occupied and still while she's being blessed, as she's a very lively and active toddler (as most are), and doesn't sit still much while in Sacrament (I get about 10 minutes of her being good if we're lucky and then she starts playing up).

Also, for blessings do they have to wear only white clothing? I know that newborn babies being blessed usually wear white, but is there a certain rule similar to Baptisms where they have to wear all white? Or is it just Sunday best?

I know I should probably know this stuff but I never really thought about it while other babies were being blessed in the Church, and this is my first child so I've never experienced any of this personally before.

Any advice would help! Thank you :)

There's no rule on what to wear to a blessing. You can get blessed in your pajamas. But, of course, if you're having it done at church then Sunday appropriate outfit is needed.

She's probably old enough to practice sitting still for a blessing. You can explain to her how important it is and how reverent you need to be and just remind her everyday for a week before the blessing.

I am the Primary Music Leader and I spend 10 minutes in the nursery singing songs. I know those 18-month olds can pay rapt attention for the 10 minutes when we're singing and for the few minutes that they are praying before snacks, they can close their eyes and be reverent. So, I guess you can make your prayers (before food and family prayers) a little longer so she can get used to closing her eyes for a longer time.

Hope this helps.

First of all dressing babies in white for their blessing is traditional and not required.

I'm impressed - 22 months and she can sit still for 10 minutes. My 4yo grandson can't sit still for 10 minutes. Getting through the administration of the Sacrament is a series of "shhhhh" "sit down" "shhhh" "sit down" with a several "fold your arms" and "close your eyes" thrown in.

At 22 months she understands a lot about her world. Teach her about what is going to happen. Why its going to happen. How important it is and that she will need to be quiet and hold still. Teach her about reverence. She's not too young. Talk to her about the blessing every day until it happens. Make little lessons with pictures and such and be excited about it. Not "going to the zoo" exciting, rather "special" excited. She will understand and when she understands how special and important it is to you, it will be important and special to her. She might surprise you.

And... blessings don't last 10 minutes. She will probably only have to sit still (and she can be on your lap) for 3-5 minutes max.

Congratulations.

And... blessings don't last 10 minutes. She will probably only have to sit still (and she can be on your lap) for 3-5 minutes max.

Congratulations.

Ya its a good thing too or lots of the older people, like me, would fall asleep with our eyes closed that long.

One thing is she might get a bit excited about being the center of attention. You know how toddlers get with attention. lol.

A lot of kids getting blessings have it done out of church meeting time. If you are seriously worried that is an option.

Personally, I would love to see toddlers getting their blessings. :)

Just to add to the already existing advice. White is not required.

As for the toddler you should know best if any of the above advice will work. To expand on something Applepansy said. You (or other trusted adult) can sit in the circle and hold the toddler while the priesthood circles and perform the blessing on the child. This can help.

You might be surprised and find that she settles down and is still once hands are placed on her head. The Spirit is powerful, and children are close to heaven.

One of the most memorable baby blessings I remember was when a father blessed his three sons -- 5, 3, and 1 -- in Sacrament meeting. I encourage you to reconsider doing it in Sacrament meeting, and sharing it with the ward and anyone else who might be coming back into activity. Most people don't know that these blessings can be done up until the age of 8, and it might be a good opportunity for someone to see that happen.

Many a blessing has been done with a screaming newborn. She is only 2 and 2 year olds can be unpredictable. No matter what, the blessing will be done and it will be something you will remember about her life.

Many a blessing has been done with a screaming newborn. She is only 2 and 2 year olds can be unpredictable. No matter what, the blessing will be done and it will be something you will remember about her life.

I would add that Mom is more likely to remember it if she focuses on the blessing rather than on keeping her daughter as quiet as possible.

OP: your daughter is young enough that she won't remember the words anyway. Remember them for her, so that you can tell her about it when she's older.

I remember my first "baby" blessing. He was about 3 or 4. Midway through the blessing he bolted out of the chair. Fortunately, the Bishop was expecting it and pulled him back down. No one outside the circle noticed what happened.

You may want to give the blesser a heads-up about your concern (away from the child so it doesn't become a game), and then forget about your worries.

*yet another mission secret comes to light years later.

Wow thank you for all your advice! I was seriously starting to consider using duct tape (haha) as I was really concerned about how she will be! I hope that she will pick up on the environment that she's in and be quiet while like everyone else during the prayer. I've tried teaching her to pray, but whenever I do pray at home or if we're in Sacrament she just looks around at everyone smiling, but she's silent. She hasn't started closing her eyes and crossing her arms yet.

Mum suggested that I bring her LDS book (from Deseret, with all the hand puppets inside, it's so cute and she loves it!) and possibly buying a dummy (although she's been weaned off it for 2-3 months now) in case she does start playing up during the prayer, but I would love for her to be silent and still without the help of those things.

I'm impressed - 22 months and she can sit still for 10 minutes. My 4yo grandson can't sit still for 10 minutes. Getting through the administration of the Sacrament is a series of "shhhhh" "sit down" "shhhh" "sit down" with a several "fold your arms" and "close your eyes" thrown in.

Heh. At 22 months, I think that my kids could sit still for something like 1 minute, if they were really trying hard. Now that they're up to 6 years, it's not much different. :lol:

Still, when they've had priesthood blessings, they've been VERY good, because we've always talked with them about how special blessings are. Plus, being in front of the chapel, having adults there with their hands on the child's head, the child is a lot less likely to get up and run around than if they were just sitting in a pew.

Prepare your kiddo in a spiritual way, help them to feel the spirit and recognize it, and get them excited to sit and feel the spirit during their blessing. When they're comfortable and prepared, they can surprise us with how strong of spiritual experiences they can have at that age. :animatedthumbsup:

Edited by ClickyClack

The blessing was today. It was great, she had her LDS book to play with while sitting on my lap, and she only moved around a little bit (and was smiling at the brothers who were circling around her and telling them to shh lol). I'm so thankful that one of my friends wrote down some notes of what was said throughout the blessing, so we can keep it for when she gets older! It was a great day!