Tebowing beauty contestant ?

Hala401

There is the plucking, the shaving, the make-up, the exercise, the tanning, the not eating the donuts... that last one is one talent I really need to work on.

You can hire people to do all but the last for you. You just show up.

What would she pray for, anyway? "Thank you for making me prettier than all these other girls. . . and for giving my parents lots of money to pay to make me look like this." Kind of a rameumptom tower, isn't it? *No offense to rameumptom

What would she pray for, anyway? "Thank you for making me prettier than all these other girls. . . and for giving my parents lots of money to pay to make me look like this." Kind of a rameumptom tower, isn't it? *No offense to rameumptom

One can say the same thing about sports, or even an academic scholarship-

Sports player: Thank you for making me faster, stronger, and more coordinated than all these other girls... and for giving my parents money for access to a swimming pool/tennis court/softball diamond/volleyball court...

Academic: Thank you for making me more perceptive and smarter than all these other girls... and for giving my parents money for access to tutors, computers, and books...

My previous response was tongue in cheek but someone's bias is showing.

Edited by Dravin

Sports take practice and training. Academics take studying. Call it a bias, but I think beauty pageants are an archaic system of perpetuating a harmful and false standard of beauty. And I'm not even a feminist.

I self label as feminist and I find beauty contests to be abhorrent.

Don't you think that it just might be slightly insulting to women to equate beauty to intelligence and talent? Oh I have big boobs so I am as important as Marie Curie? I can walk pretty so I am equal in ability to Lillian Copeland? I can say world peace and that makes me equal in talent to Beverly Sills?

Vanity is not one of the 7 virtues for good reason.

Edited by annewandering

I will in pray in church or other appropriate public events. I would not kneel after a sporting event and give a personal prayer. That's too much for me.

I like to bring less attention to myself than more as a general rule. So when it comes to praying in public like Tim Tebow did.... well, this is the scripture that comes to mind:

3 Nephi 13:1

Verily, verily, I say that I would that ye should do alms unto the poor; but take heed that ye do not your alms before men to be seen of them; otherwise ye have no reward of your Father who is in heaven.

I used to agree with you, for the same reason. It would irk me when various performers (actors and singers) would accept their award and give a shout out to Jesus. Many of them seemed pretty insincere about it and it was either showy or some duty borne of tradition. I've since changed my mind based on some other principles.

Jesus also said we should let our light shine so that others may glorify our Father in heaven. I think this principle is illustrated well in the story of Joseph of Egypt. When he appeared before Pharaoh to interpret the dream, he stated upfront that his God-given talent "is not in me: God shall give Pharaoh an answer of peace" (Gen 41:16). Joseph, Tebow, and beauty queens perform in the public arena. I think it is fitting for them to be upfront about the source of their talents. "Thanks God", is often the prayer of the humble. It can also be the prayer of the vain and hypocritical, but I now give praisers the benefit of the doubt.

Sports take practice and training. Academics take studying. Call it a bias, but I think beauty pageants are an archaic system of perpetuating a harmful and false standard of beauty. And I'm not even a feminist.

It's fine to have something against pageants, but you've pretty much branded contestants prayers as, "Oh, look at how wonderful I am!" sessions. That's not, "I think pageants are bad.", that's entering into "A pageant contestant ran over my dog" territory.

Edited by Dravin

I self label as feminist and I find beauty contests to be abhorrent.

Don't you think that it just might be slightly insulting to women to equate beauty to intelligence and talent? Oh I have big boobs so I am as important as Marie Curie? I can walk pretty so I am equal in ability to Lillian Copeland? I can say world peace and that makes me equal in talent to Beverly Sills?

Vanity is not one of the 7 virtues for good reason.

If we really want to compare that way, then, Grandma Moses made nowhere near as important a contribution to the world as Marie Curie. Doesn't detract from either of them

I wonder if she's the one that ordered those U.S. Olympic uniforms, thing Shanghai was a suburb of Dallas-Fort Worth.

I would laugh at her, but then my performance before the Doctrine class, lesson #23 immediately comes to mind.

I was so nervous and frightened that I wore skirt suit from my working days, with heels and the whole thing. No, in light of my performance, in which I forgot everything and had to fess up to it in front of 50 or so other members ...

I think the poor girl did well to not faint dead away, as I almost did. LOL

I used to agree with you, for the same reason. It would irk me when various performers (actors and singers) would accept their award and give a shout out to Jesus. Many of them seemed pretty insincere about it and it was either showy or some duty borne of tradition. I've since changed my mind based on some other principles.

Jesus also said we should let our light shine so that others may glorify our Father in heaven. I think this principle is illustrated well in the story of Joseph of Egypt. When he appeared before Pharaoh to interpret the dream, he stated upfront that his God-given talent "is not in me: God shall give Pharaoh an answer of peace" (Gen 41:16). Joseph, Tebow, and beauty queens perform in the public arena. I think it is fitting for them to be upfront about the source of their talents. "Thanks God", is often the prayer of the humble. It can also be the prayer of the vain and hypocritical, but I now give praisers the benefit of the doubt.

There is a difference between saying "thank you God" and taking a knee in public.

I completely agree with you. We should never hide our light under a bushel and we should always give credit to God without whom I am nothing.

I'm not completely against beauty contests. Some really smart girls have paid for college with pageants. (high five to them)

There is a time and a place for a formal prayer in public. Taking a knee is pretty formal. A sporting event or a beauty pageant just isn't one of those places for me.

I have nothing against Tim Tebow. I think its great that he gives credit where credit is due. We have nothing with out God. However, because of his very public prayer instead of calling it prayer the media and just about everyone else is calling it "Tebowing" So much for giving credit where credit it due. Satan will use every means possible to divert our attention from God.

I don't understand getting a scholarship for God-given beauty. It's not like they did anything to deserve it. But then, I'm no beauty queen.

I don't think people realise that beauty pageants/competitions take WORK. These women work hard to achieve and maintain society's "ideal" body, in addition, they work on poise and how they present themselves. It's a common belief that beauty contestants are just plain born that way. Many of these women share similar stories of being ugly ducklings in their early years. A lot of self discipline comes into play, such as eating right and exercising, two things a lot of us lack in our everyday lives. If you Google contestants, many of them are college educated or with degrees, a lot of them donate their time and own money to charities. It may or may not be on the same level as competing in a sport or academic but to say achieving such success doesn't acquire work rings false.

I have absolutely nothing against beauty pageants or members being involved in beauty pageants. There are some like Miss World where they feature humanitarian efforts by the contestants so not everything is about "physical" beauty.

Also, with regards to public prayers...I used to think like a lot of members...that people shouldn't pray in public but I have changed my mind over the years. Why? Simply because I am not in position to judge or know the intention of such individual. It's something between them and God.

I like Tebow's Tebowing. He wants to thank God and he doesn't want to have to wait until he's off the field for it. I like that. It's not showy, it's no big deal actually - a lot of athletes do a more showy Jesus-moment than Tebowing - but, unfortunately, the media made it bigger than it is and Tebow just has to go with it - not letting it change who he is.

As far as Beauty Pageants are concerned... you guys don't know what goes on in Beauty Pageants. Okay, I'm not talking Toddlers and Tiaras. That's just crazily stupid, the things these Moms teach their little darlings to get on that stage...

There is a lot more to beauty pageants than being pretty. The problem is not with the pageant. The problem is with the people who watch the pageant and not seeing past the pretty. Miss Universe for instance is a celebration of womanhood and her contribution to humanity. Why do they don a swimsuit attire? Well, your physical features distinguish your feminity from masculinity. So, it's part of the contest. The Miss Universe physique is so much different from Miss Fitness because, femininity is seen by society more as gentility than brute-strength. Sure, it's not Relief Society. It is a contest. A sport, if you will. And Miss Universe has a lot more to contribute to society than the Wimbledon. You don't get on Miss Universe just because you're pretty. Sure, you kinda have to be pleasing to look at. But, being Miss Universe beauty is not on the surface only. If that's all you have, you won't make it past the previous Miss-something contests to make it to Miss Universe. The interview is not the measure of your intelligence really. Your intelligence is measured way before that. There's a lot of events leading up to the 2-hour show you see on TV. The interview then, is merely a measure of how you can communicate that intelligence to the mass audience under pressure.

So, yes, it is funny now to see Miss South Carolina mumble through her interview answer. Miss South Carolina is not a dumb blonde though. Really, she's not. She went on the stage, got her interview question, and panicked. Blanked out entirely. You don't get to Miss USA being dumb. You have to win Miss-something else before that to make it to that level. But, you do have to know how to express yourself at the spur of the moment in a clear and concise manner. And that's where Miss SC failed.

The qualifications to compete in Miss Universe is quite strict too. Includes moral standards. You don't see that in football. I mean, c'mon Michael Vick would have still played QB if he wasn't spending it in jail even after being found guilty. And even after the contest is over, Miss Universe is still required to maintain that standard for at least a year. And she's required to do tons of ambassadorial stuff.

Okay, for example - Dayanara Torres from Puerto Rico won Miss Universe back in the 90's. I chose her because she's the most recent Miss Universe that I actually kept up with. I met Moran and Diaz - both Miss Universe winners from the Philippines but they're from the 70's. Dayanara spent some time in the Philippines back in the 90's.

Okay, so Dayanara won Miss Universe in 1993. She reigned for 1 year as Miss Universe and spent most of her obligatory Miss Universe humanitarian activities with UNICEF - working to advance the plight of poverty-stricken children across the World. She was very effective in that role - owing a lot to her qualities that she developed to get crowned Miss Universe. She relinquished the crown but she continued working with UNICEF until 1995. After her reign, she did some modeling, acting, and singing gigs - a lot of which was in the Philippines (she reliquished her crown in the Miss Universe pageant held in the Philippines and ended up staying there for 5 years) but then spent most of that money creating the Dayanara Torres Foundation in 1995 that provides aid and scholarship to poverty-stricken children in Puerto Rico and the Philippines until today. Dayanara has expanded her humanitarian work to help mothers and children to combat AIDS, etc.

You might think - but that's a unique thing. Actually no. You can look up all of the winners of the Miss Universe pageant - or Miss International or Miss World - and you will find that a lot of those women go into the pageant hoping to use the pageant as a springboard for their humanitarian goals.

So yeah. Don't dismiss beauty pageants as merely a pretty-face contest. Sure, there are a lot of them - like Toddlers and Tiaras - that are just abhorrent, but the respectable beauty pageants are a lot more than just surface beauty. It embodies a lot of the qualities that are so awesome and uniquely Woman.

Edited by anatess

There is a difference between saying "thank you God" and taking a knee in public.

IThere is a time and a place for a formal prayer in public. Taking a knee is pretty formal. A sporting event or a beauty pageant just isn't one of those places for me.

I don't think it's any more formal than bowing your head and folding your arms for a public prayer. BYU does that before each home game. A whole stadium filled with people in formal prayer.

I understand what you mean. I think because of our culture we aren't used to prayers being so "seen"--we aren't the kind who raises hands and shouts "Amen" when worshipping. So, to us, such displays seem to be more ostentatious. And there is no denying some people do such acts to be seen of men and show how righteous they are. But, I think the vast majority of people of faith do so to display their understanding of worship and praise.